V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Lots of great info here and you all seem very knowledgeable. I've seen a lot of posts about custom builds, but nothing really about the prepackaged setups available from HD. Has anybody done the basic 95" kits shown in the P&A catalog? I realize they are not the highest performance builds, but the prices seem very reasonable and I would imagine the MOCO puts together a reliable package. In particular, the stage 1 95" kit looks to be about $700 +T&L & the stage 2 (i.e. with 203 cam) is a few hundred more. For a guy just looking for noticeably more grunt, are these a reasonable approach? One thing I find interesting on the SE site is that the stage 2 kit doesn't really seem to produce more power/torque than the stage 1 95" setup. What's up with that? I've been toying with the idea of doing this to my 05 Dyna, but I just can't spend several thousand on a build, nor am I willing to compromise reliability to do it. Right now, I've just got the basic taxes paid - SE AC, SE pipes and the corresponding download.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
I like the power I got/have from the 95" stage 2 HTCC kit from HD.

On my bagger I got 94 TQ/91 HP

95" Stage 2 HTCC
SE257 cam
SERT
SE slipons

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
BB06FLHX said:
I like the power I got/have from the 95" stage 2 HTCC kit from HD.

On my bagger I got 94 TQ/91 HP

95" Stage 2 HTCC
SE257 cam
SERT
SE slipons
Yeah but your warranty on the engine is gone!!

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
xler8r said:
Yeah but your warranty on the engine is gone!!
Warranty...Whats that???:huh: :unsure: :hmmm:

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
sounds like you already have the stage I. A/C, pipes, & flash. a stage II with 204 cams, stock heads, SE A/C (which you do not need)will run about 850 plus approx 10-11 hrs. labor. that setup will increase your tq considerably as well as hp.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
KRATC said:
sounds like you already have the stage I. A/C, pipes, & flash. a stage II with 204 cams, stock heads, SE A/C (which you do not need)will run about 850 plus approx 10-11 hrs. labor. that setup will increase your tq considerably as well as hp.
Are you talking about this with an increase to 95" displacement, or with the 88" I currently have. The "Stage 1" I have is not a BB stage. I see in the catalog that there are stage 1 95" and stage 2 95" kits. The main difference being that the stage 2 kit has a cam upgrade, while the stage 1 is just the displacement increase. If I could get a cam for my stage 1 88"er that would give a significant bump in torque, I'd be all over it!

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
OrangeTJ said:
Are you talking about this with an increase to 95" displacement, or with the 88" I currently have. The "Stage 1" I have is not a BB stage. I see in the catalog that there are stage 1 95" and stage 2 95" kits. The main difference being that the stage 2 kit has a cam upgrade, while the stage 1 is just the displacement increase. If I could get a cam for my stage 1 88"er that would give a significant bump in torque, I'd be all over it!
Just changing your cam and staying with the 88 is not going to generate a substantial increase in power. You need to match some head work with the cam to see any real increase. And if you are going pull the heads then you might as well change/bore the cylinders because the it'll only cost you $100 to $300 more. Here's what i suggest. Talk to a builder (like Steve at GMR, Springer at Big Boys, or your trusted local HD mech) and decide on what kind of set-up you need based on your riding style. If you don't have it in your budget to do it right the first time then save your money and wait. It'll cost you a lot more money to do a half-ass build now and then go back in later and finish the job.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
if your sure that it is only a few hundred more for stage 2 i would do it. your gains would be pretty noticeable, but be sure of the price all the dealers i talked to which was a lot of them 1400 was the cheapest for a all se stage 2 bb kit. also as previously said if you can sqeeze another 300-400 out of your pocket having your heads ported would be definately the way to go. i just had my bike done at a dealer. i went with stage 1 bb kit by se and then andrews 26 cams and heads ported by the dealers indy. i havent really rode it to hard yet due to weather but it seems to run pretty good. but i do stress about finding the total cost out the door because if i had it to do over i think i would have done things different. the reason i say this is because i too only wanted to spend about 1800 out the door which i was verbally quoted but come payday it seemed to be almost 2100. doesnt seem like alot but that price difference could have opened up more options. oh by the way my bike is fuel injection and i have power commander so theres another 300 for tuning after break in. i hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
OrangeTJ said:
OK, I see you are looking in the H-D parts catalog, page 515 & 516, 95" BB Stage I $660 plus $150 for flash & 95" BB stage II $1050 plus $150 for flash.

Get the H-D Screaming Eagle PRO RACING parts catalog. Page 28 lists 95" BB stage II with 203 cams $810 plus $150 flash. The SE PRO RACING catalog is the way to go.
I have a 2006 ULTRA... 95 " BB done by local H-D dealer, but did not do the kit package...204 cams instead of 203's, used my cylnders bored locally by indy, & then the rest that comes in the kit 1550 flat top pistons, gaskets, springs, high perf clutch spring etc., stock heads, V&H true duals, V&H oval mufflers. The cost was about the same $810, as the kit (plus labor of course). I'm pleased with the performance, great low to mid range TQ. Cruising at 65mph roll the wick & be at 90mph real quick, & it runs from stop light to stop light pretty good for a bagger.
IMO 204 cams are better than 203 cams, at least for my riding style. Plus I woud rather use my cyclnders bored exactly to fit the pistons instead of jugs sent from H-D in a box/kit.
Since you have a DYNA you might want something a little different than the 204 cams, maybe 211 or 257's, but I would certainly do the big bore not just the cams. As others have posted get with a trusted indy shop or H-D service manager that YOU know & can trust.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
I have the mild catalog build....

I have the 95" with 203 cams. I added SERT and Supertrapp 2:1 pipe for my 2006 Ultra. Strong low end pull from 2000-4000 rpm, which is where most people ride the bike. After 4500 rpm, the power starts to fall off, this is the design of the 203 cam. My dyno chart looks just like the one in the catalog, torque peaks between 3-3500 rpm, just under 100 lb./ft..

I had a build before this on the same bike that I didn't like at all - 211 cams, SE Performance heads. Bike never ran very well, lots of detonation, and the motor didn't run strong until 3000rpm.

The build is idiot proof - the worst dealer in the country can make this build run well. Any dealer can fix it if it breaks and you're on the road. Your warrantly is probably preserved.

Basically, it's a nice build if you want something simple and easy. If you want to devote more time and money to it, there are better builds out there, all of which involve more agressive cams and headwork.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
I just got my SG back from the dealer w/ the stage 2 kit. I'm running the Bassani true duals and went with the 1550 stage 2 "race" ECM flash. Bike runs much stronger than stock. Very happy with the results. Pulls very strong(pulls front wheel off the ground in 2nd. spend the extra $200 for the stage 2

1 - 11 of 11 Posts