V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
05 Ultra
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 Ultra and I'm wanting to replace the stock seat.

I'm considering the road zepp or the Mustang Ultra Touring. I know the road zepp isn't cheap, but cost isn't a consideration as I'm looking for the most comfortable seat.

Anyone have experience with either seat? Recommendations?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Last week I was about to spring for the leather air zepplin for $800.00, but the dealer had a return so he let me put it on my bike before I ordered mine. It looked okay but sat me up and forward to much, way to much. Also, its a very wide seat and was alkward up around the tank area. I didn't order the seat. Im 6'3'' and 225 lbs but I like to sit in my bike and not on it.

·
03 FLHTCUI
375 Posts
Put the RoadZepp on my scooter about 4 months ago. I love it. Can't compare with the Mustang, as I never sat or rode on one. On the stock seat I used to get sore and cranky after about 200 miles in a day. On the RZ I can go 400 miles a day, back to back to back (or would that be butt to butt to butt??) with no problems. I love it. And if money is no object, I will sell you mine for twice what I paid for it! :huh:

Ride Safe.
Walt

·
Registered
206 Posts
Don't know about an Ultra but I put Mustang's tourer on my RG. It's a great seat, put 5300 miles on it in 11 days and have no complaints. I got the backrest too.

·
BFFB
833 Posts
i ride an ultra
i have had both and i prefer the mustang , the road zep was HUGE , and i couldnt get comfortable ,seemed way high and constantly messing with controls looking for a just right spot ,, i never found it ,,,,the mustang is a very comfortable seat but does not have the look,low center of gravity feel or ass planted , this is where im supposed to be feeling of a corbin ,of the 3 each has its own character , feel , good and bad points , to me the HUGE butt ugly look(sorry eguc3) and high seating position just made the road zep the last choice , it sold on e bay
although the mustang may be just a little more comfy for the long hauls the corbin just makes the bike more fun to ride ,,,, i have a corbin solo for daily riding and our no girls allowed arkansas trips and a mustang ultra regal for trips with the wife ,(she loves it )
again these are just one mans opinion , seats are a very personal choice and a lot go thru several choices just like me , i went thru 3 seats on my last bike too
good luck and thank God for e bay

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Seat

I've never found much to like about H-D stock seats, so I have no experience with their custom selection. However, I've had Mustang wide touring seats on my last three bikes and all I can say is "fantastic".
I have the backrest on my current bike and wouldn't be without it. At 6'5" and 265, this old body needs some comfort. -2$en#e-

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
I put a Mustang vintage wide touring seat on my '04 Lowrider. I probably wouldn't be riding if I had to stay with the original seat. At 8000 miles it was shot! No support at all...seemed like my sitz bones were riding on the frame after a few miles. All the difference in the world with the Mustang. Backrest is great, too. Didn't try Corbin because every one I saw and felt was so darn hard! Didn't think I could tolerate them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mustang

I changed my previous two bike seats to Mustang and was happy with the switch. I sat a little bit higher, which was OK with me. Very firm seat when you first sat down, but your back side settled into it within seconds and it was way comfortable than stock. I've never tried other brands. I was happy enough first the first to buy the second one. My stock 05 Ultra seat is comfortable and I have no plans of changing it as of now.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Zep Seat

I tried the Zep seat on my Ultra and as others have stated it was way too big for me but also too wide for my wife(I like her to spread her legs for me once in a while but that seat was way too big) Try the Mustang. If you do want a Zep seat, there on ebay usually for $450.

·
Registered
36 Posts
A friend put a Zep on his Ultra and he added adjustable foot pegs on it for his wife to be comfortable. Maybe she was experiencing the same as scotts91ultra's wife without realizing that the seat was too wide for her. They like the ride, but had it put on before delivery, so I wonder if they even know if it's better or not.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Seat

I have the Zeppelin and I'll never look back. I have a Mustang on my Heritage and I think it's too hard.... but the Zeppelin ... what joy. BTW it is a very wide seat, not for people with short legs.

·
Registered
55 Posts
i can't give you a comparison, but i do have a mustang seat on my rk and absolutely love it. i've ridden all day on it and still feel good when i get off... i highly recommend mustang seats...

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
I have a zep and I love it. I have had it on the bike for five seasons now. Yep it sets you up higher and some people can't stand it. But for us it was the best money we ever spent. If I purchased a new bike a zep would be the seat.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Wolf Pack said:
Anyone have experience with either seat? Recommendations?

Thanks.
I have a Mustang Regal Touring seat that I put on my RK for long trips. Mustang customer service is A+ as well.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
The Road Zeppelin is a terrific seat, but it's easy to over-inflate it. And it feels awkward. Works best for me slightly inflated and then tweaked after I have been on the road for a while.

An over-inflated seat leaves no adjustability and defeats the purpose of the bladders. It also would create the sensation that you are riding "on" the seat instead of "in" the seat. Also, a fully inflated seat would ride much higher than the stock seat.

But the seat does raise me almost an inch without significant inflation. A pair of the HD boots put my feet back on the ground.

My advice is to never buy a seat without riding it first, including a Zeppelin.

·
05 Ultra
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the input guys. I've done lots of research and sounds like Mustang is the way to go from a comfort and customer service standpoint. Don't see many negative things about the Mustang after literally hundreds of posts.

·
Yet another 43 Double D
626 Posts
Can't speak for the Road Zepplin but I do love my Mustang wide touring seat with backrest, and better yet the wife likes the pillon too! The one I got for my Road Glide is narrow in the front which might be important if your inseam challenged. My .02

Keep the shiny side up,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts