V-Twin Forum banner

HD Rear Directional Relocation Kit Installation

8K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  vafatboy 
#1 ·
I would like to get the detachable sissybar for my '06 Fatboy, which requires a rear directional relocation kit. How difficult is the directional relocation kit to install? The service center want's $108 just in labor plus $$ for misc supplies. The part itself is only $35. I want to do it myself but I'm not sure exactly what is involved or the level of difficulty. I think all you have to install the new bolts, cut wires and then run them through the new hollow bolts.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

#2 · (Edited)
It's very easy and you should have no problem doing it yourself. However another good option is to simply cut away the sideplate on the sissy bar where the stock signals are and call it good. I did that with mine and know many others have too. I drew it out, cut with a hack saw, then filed and shaped the edges nice and smooth and then used a Q-tip to apply some white Rustoleam paint on them and it's worked great for years...... I like the look better than the moved signals too. Especially when the sissy bar is off. Hope that helps

Ron
http://www.wholearmor.net/hog

#4 ·
RonH said:
It's very easy and you should have no problem doing it yourself. However another good option is to simply cut away the sideplate on the sissy bar where the stock signals are and call it good. I did that with mine and know many others have too. I drew it out, cut with a hack saw, then filed and shaped the edges nice and smooth and then used a Q-tip to apply some white Rustoleam paint on them and it's worked great for years...... I like the look better than the moved signals too. Especially when the sissy bar is off. Hope that helps

Ron
http://www.wholearmor.net/hog
Do you have any pics? I'd also like to install the detachable sissy bar (more to the point, my ole' lady is making me) but don't like the look of the signal relocation kit.

#5 ·
Im going on memory here, but to do the detach kit on an 06 fatboy, you basically remove the rear tail lamp, cut the wires, put on a new shaft for the signal in the rear hole, and splice the wire back in.

Its not hard, but if you dont have a crimper, a good hair dryer for the shrink tubing/butt splices, and some torx bits - it would be cheaper to have them do it - If you never plan to do another thing again.

The shaft that holds on the signal will be different when done, I dont like how it looks.

#6 · (Edited)
I stand corrected - the signals on the fatboy are already at the rear end of the fender rail, so you can not cut a piece out of the HD sissy bar sideplates to make them fit without trashing the docking point. On the older FXST types like mine ('84) the signals are at a different spot on the fender rail, so you have room to cut the side plate between the docking points. Not sure about the newer models

#8 ·
I purchased the removable sissy bar kit for my 06 fatboy and returned it.. I did not like the mickey mouse "bolts" to relocate my rear turn signals that came with it.

I purchased the regular sissy bar mount.. Remove the two rear torx bolts ( torx 45) loosen the two front, tilt up the sissy bar, remove it, and install the smaller "butt stop" sissy bar. Easy and it looks much better than the removable one...

ONLY way I would use the removable kit would be to relocate the signals with the rear taillight like a touring bike....

#11 ·
Basically, I found 4 options to this:

1. Install the HD relocation kit

2. Use the system from Bubba. No relocation or docking kit required - Expensive

3. File the current stock turn signal bolt/stem/mount to create enough clearance.

4. Removed the "stalk", and bolted the signal bodies right to the last hole in the strut

#13 ·
I have the relocation kit and removeable sissy bar as well on an 02 Fatboy but I would like to add detachable bags at some point. Anyone got any suggestions? I dont' want to have to do this more than once because my bike has been lowered and is a hassle to get the bike up high enough in the air to work on stuff under the fender. Any suggetions for an LED/chrome taillight kit that would look good without bags but also be close enough to work with a set of soft take off bags?

#14 ·
gledo777 said:
Basically, I found 4 options to this:

1. Install the HD relocation kit

2. Use the system from Bubba. No relocation or docking kit required - Expensive

3. File the current stock turn signal bolt/stem/mount to create enough clearance.

4. Removed the "stalk", and bolted the signal bodies right to the last hole in the strut

I think that the bracket J&P sells is the solution for these problems, it relocates further back the strut.

The link for the bracket is: http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup.aspx?GID=8033E383-8171-4348-B132-84D9E4692BC6&search=Directional%20Relocation%20Kit&store=Harley&page=3

#15 ·
#16 ·
I used front signal housings on the back bolted directly to the strut and then just had to grind a little off the end of the detachable to clear the housing.

This pic has my LeatherPros saddlebags installed.

#17 ·
I put the detachable backrest on my 05 fatboy and did it exactly to the instructions. One of the reasons for cutting the wires is because they will be a little too long after relocating. I thought about cutting the sideplates too, but wouldnt you have to get them rechrome plated? Its not hard to do and the splice connectors are nice, with built in heat shrink. I also noticed that my buddy just did his on a nighttrain and the new turn signal stalks are shorter than mine and look a little nicer. Maybe the kit comes now with the shorter stalks?

#18 ·
Cop_Stanger said:
I used front signal housings on the back bolted directly to the strut and then just had to grind a little off the end of the detachable to clear the housing.

This pic has my LeatherPros saddlebags installed.

That's the ticket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.