V-Twin Forum banner

HDs & the Mothership

• Love the product, love the company

Votes: 41 56.2%
  • Love the product, toss the company

Votes: 30 41.1%
  • Inferior product....BUT.... gets me laid :)

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Sho'don makem like they useta. Long live AMF

Votes: 1 1.4%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I really like my Road King. Is it inferior? I guess I would say, to what? Certainly not to the other Japanes cruisers, and not to a Gold Wing. Not as good in all areas certainly, but much better in others. I have 3 other bikes (2 BMWs and a Suzuli). The King gets ridden more than the other 3 combined. When people ask me what kind of bike I have, guess which brand I answer with?

The Company? Generally I like them too. They run it like a business. I own stock I bought a long time ago, best investment I have ever made, period! This means they will be around in the forseable future. This means they can experiment with new models, like the V Rod and the Buel. This means they can improve existing models with twin cams, balanced engines, 103 " engines, blablabla. Is the Company perfect? Hell No. But if I compare them to Ford, GM, Chrylser, ...........well you get the picture.

And, at this moment in time, 100% of the poll votes agree with me!

Who knew?

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Love the product and the company. Its the dealers I would toss.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
....toss the company huh? The wisdom here sometimes overwhelm even Einstein!! The dealers are the problem, if you toss the company how long before we ride....sigh, I can't even say it. Yea I know, there are after-market parts and accessories, but at some point its just a shell of a Harley.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
It is also the company that is letting the stealerships get away with some of the things they pull. Granted a company can not watch all stores all the time. I am not sure but i would think there is some clause in all their franchise contracts that have certain rules on how to conduct themselves in relation to being connected to HD.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Nobody is twisting my arm to buy the accessories and apparel. I buy what I want to! They sell this stuff because there is a market for it. Smart business decisions in my opinion. Just be thankful there is'nt a market for the foriegn apparel!:D

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
anox3 said:
It is also the company that is letting the stealerships get away with some of the things they pull. Granted a company can not watch all stores all the time. I am not sure but i would think there is some clause in all their franchise contracts that have certain rules on how to conduct themselves in relation to being connected to HD.

...I don't have a million dollars laying around so the MOCO has decided that I can't read the franchise contract. I will not assume to know or speculate what the contract/agreement says or rules imposed on the dealers. I will venture to say these are not COMPANY owned dealerships. They are independently owned and operated. I am sure that the profit garnering and poor service from some does not infringe on their relationship with the MOCO. Call in a complaint and if it is more service related rather than product defect, see how fast the MOCO will tell you about the independence of the dealer. Oh I am not saying it is right or wrong, but legally, the dealer is an independent operation contracted to sell for the MOCO.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
My vote was inbetween Love the product toss the comp and .......getting laid.
My bikes were purchased because I have always wanted an HD since I was 15. Is their a better bike.....technology speaking, yes but as far as the bike itself....nothing beats an HD IMO. The Company, their just like most companies. They are in business to make $$$ not the feeling of love and contentment with a majority of happy customers. Getting laid, not the right answer either for I don't think that anyone needs an HD to get laid. It helps sometimes but so does not being a jerk.

Oh well, just my .02

·
Registered
465 Posts
anox3 said:
I'm doubt the HD franchise contract is any different from GM, Ford, Burger King, etc. The difference is that if a Ford dealer ticks off a customer they'll just go to Chevy, Dodge, or a differend Ford dealership. The free market works pretty well for them and fosters self-regulation of their business practices (on the dealer level). Harley customers, on the other hand, often get served up a steamy **** sandwich by their local dealers and come back for seconds.

Chilly

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
The dealers have certian performance criteria they have to meet. How they meet these criteria determine the number of bikes they recieve for sale and eventually whether or not they stay franchised or not. Customer complaints are part of the criteria. If your dealer gives you poor service you need to notify the MOCO. Also just because you think you were not treated fairly or properly dosen't mean you were. I know a lot of customers think the dealers should bow down and worship them because they purchased the bike there or because they spent a few thousand on accessories. A good dealer will appreciate your business and treat you right. Unfortunatly some customers think because they spend X amount of dollars the dealer should kiss their ass. They expect to get their bike serviced ahead of others or a salesperson to stop talking to one customer and wait on them. I have seen these people many times and they are usually the first to ***** and run down the dealership or MOCO. My local dealership is run by good people who care for their customers and take good care of their employees. If you have to deal with the MOCO then your dealer isn't doing his job and if he isn't unless the customers of that dealership make some noise you can't blame the MOCO. Don't assume because you complained that everyone else has too. Every business has customers who you can't satisfy and who are always writing to the parent company. They realize this and don't bother too much about them but if enough letters or phone calls come in on a particular dealer you can bet someone will get with them.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
If the company had more control of there slealerships this all would I think be better.I think HD could do much better at telling dealerships to shape up and stop price fixing products and selling bikes way over price.This all comes from corp . They don't seem to care what there dealers do which makes them look very bad in long run.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Love the Bike

I love the motorcycle. The company is a good company.

It's the dealers that are the problem. Most dealers are very greedy, have poor customer service. It's like they are doing us a favor, selling us a bike.

There are a few good dealers out there that will sell at MSRP. They will also treat you like a person and not rape you. However most are just out to rape you.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Same as FLSTFI Dave

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Love the bike, but like the MOCO. There was not that decision so I had to go for the Love/Toss one. I am happy with my local dealer. I have never bought one new from them, but I am happy with their parts department. They have always treated me with respect and gave me the time and assistance I needed when buying parts.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Dealerships are for sure taking advantage of the frenzy some or good most are oppurtunist...wha do you do?

·
Registered
659 Posts
I used to ride, many years ago. I started again last year, and got a sportster, which I grew "out of" fairly quickly. My wife wanted to ride with me, but not behind me, so she took a course, loved it, and we bought her a bmw 650 gs as her first ride. She didn't quite see what I saw in my Harley - noisy, lots of chrome, went when you turn the throttle and stoppped when you hit the brakes. I bought an '03 Heritage Classic, and she took it for a spin - I have never seen a look like that on my wife's face before (well, maybe our wedding night). She was in love.
Some things in life you just have to experience I guess. At least now I don't have to explain to her the unexplainable.
MOCO? Thank god they're turning a profit, and finding new ways to market the experience - this will guarantee the future value of our bikes and keep the tradition riding high.
Bad dealers? Don't look at the old ones, look at the new ones. Moco is running a pretty tight ship from what I can see on new dealers entering the system - I'll bet you there is more than a couple of meetings happening over there on a regular basis trying to figure out how to get rid of the guys that don't represent the company and it's products in a professional manner - and slowly, they will disappear, one expired agreement after another.
My .02

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.