V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of building my bike, using a TC88A engine. Can someone tell me where on the internet can i get all relevant part nos and description of relevant stuff that i need to buy.
Eg. I have a CV carb for the engine but I'm hunting for the correct intake manifold with flanges and MAP sensor
... likewise a lot of other things which i need to order but do not know the correct part no. I have tried sites like bikebandit, denniskirk, hdmd etc but they have limited parts and most of the SE and other performance parts. Any comprehensive website that gives a list of the latest stock parts and part nos.^rolleyez^

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
luky_13 said:
I'm in the process of building my bike, using a TC88A engine. Can someone tell me where on the internet can i get all relevant part nos and description of relevant stuff that i need to buy.
Eg. I have a CV carb for the engine but I'm hunting for the correct intake manifold with flanges and MAP sensor
... likewise a lot of other things which i need to order but do not know the correct part no. I have tried sites like bikebandit, denniskirk, hdmd etc but they have limited parts and most of the SE and other performance parts. Any comprehensive website that gives a list of the latest stock parts and part nos.^rolleyez^
there is no such thing, only known option is the parts cataloque HArley sells for the various models.

·
Banned
871 Posts
luky_13 said:
Are you building this bike from scratch, starting with just an engine? I've done that before and it will give you a good feeling when you finally crank it up! Kudos for taking on a task that many are afraid to undertake! I've built several bikes from the ground up over the years, and there are some things that I have learned.....

First, you need to get yourself the proper manuals. I strongly advise against getting a Clymer or other el cheapo manual. This applies to just about anyone who rides a Harley. These books are MUST HAVE tools! Go to this link for the HD part numbers for the manuals:

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68022 (thanks to wyodude for posting them!)

You can order them from your local stealership, or if you want to save a few bucks, get them on ebay or use google to find someone else who sells them.

You will need the service manual AND parts catalog for your year/model. You can use the books as a guide for what you will and will not need to build your bike. Remember, there are several things you can eliminate from a stock HD bike that will increase reliability and save you money at the same time. The golden rule is that the simpler something is, the more reliable it will be. Example: when I make a wiring harness, I usually have no more than 9 wires. This is enough to run the necessary systems. Any more would be a waste and increase the chance of something going wrong later.

For aftermarket, there are tons of sources, but try to steer clear of V-Twin. They are not known for good quality parts. I usually order from J&P Cycle online (great prices), or Custom Chrome (through a local HD performance shop... NOT the stealership!) Only go to the dealership for parts you can't find anywhere else, or for little things like bolts and gaskets, and you will save a lot of money. Directparts.com is another good site for parts. This should get you started. That's my 2 cents.... :)

Oh yeah..... bikebandit.com has a lot of OEM part numbers and parts.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice buddy, sounds very prudent and appropriate.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
getting the parts from ...

Great advice in the previous post. Manuals . manuals, manuals are basic.

Once you've made a list you can try eBay for some of the parts where used is not a problem: example .. a manifold

I've been real happy with www.discountbiker.com 20-30% off OEM.

Lots of luck on the build.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
ToddM said:
First, you need to get yourself the proper manuals. I strongly advise against getting a Clymer or other el cheapo manual. This applies to just about anyone who rides a Harley. These books are MUST HAVE tools! Go to this link for the HD part numbers for the manuals:
Would you explain why it is necessary to have a Clymer and an HD manual. Is the Clymer better overall or does it include things that HD left out?

Thanks.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
8-Ball said:
Would you explain why it is necessary to have a Clymer and an HD manual. Is the Clymer better overall or does it include things that HD left out?

Thanks.
8-Ball,

I think you read it wrong, he's advising against clymer's and for factory manuals. :yes:

wyo

·
Banned
871 Posts
wyodude said:
8-Ball,

I think you read it wrong, he's advising against clymer's and for factory manuals. :yes:

wyo
Thanks wyo. The Clymer manual is OK for some of the photos, but I would never use the specs or assembly instructions in it. Too many mistakes..... It works better for soaking up oil from the floor. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts