V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Dad had a friend who skipped town and left a bunch of stuff in a business he owned...stuff which ended up in my dad's garage to avoid the garbage. among the items were 3 quarts of harley's finest 20W50 oil. I know it's unsuitable for my bike...only synthetic in it for me......suppose it would hurt my crappy old lawn mower as long as i don't mix it with straight 30 wt in there now?

·
Registered
688 Posts
logical, How long have you been running syn? I got almost 1000 mi. on my bike now, thinking of changing over. Don't want to start another oil controversy over this!!! If you PM me about it we might be able to avoid another oil mess.

·
Banned
5,863 Posts
Lawn mowers, especially Briggs & Stratton powered, are among the most reliable, bullet-proof machines out there. Keep the air filter clean and it should run forever on anything. I put all my old waste fuel in my mower and it runs like a champ. Stuff that wouldn't elicit a weak cough in the bike kicks the mower right over. Oil? Hell, you could probably lubricate a Briggs with maple syrup. High performance engines are finicky when it comes to fuel and oil but mowers? Put whatever you've got in it.

Dean

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
HD oil would work fine, but it will probably void the warranty:eek:

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
FXDeanX said:
I put all my old waste fuel in my mower and it runs like a champ. Stuff that wouldn't elicit a weak cough in the bike kicks the mower right over. Oil? Hell, you could probably lubricate a Briggs with maple syrup.
Yup...my ol' Honda mower runs forever on whatever I put in it....gas or oil. It's about 14 years old and has never missed a start or had anything more than a rare oil and air filter change and a rarer new spark plug. Wish my cars/bike would do that.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I think the new Kia has the same motor as your honda mower. You might want to look into one.:D Currently, I'm running 115 Octane with 2 stroke premix or whatever is left over from my dirt bike , and a case of leftover penzoil. Been working on that gas/oil for 3 years and it hasn't blown up yet. Briggs & Stratton motor.

·
BMF
87 Posts
I also use the Harley 20W50 in my mower, and usually 116 octane race fuel because that's whats in the can, and haven't had a problem yet.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wyodude said:
HD oil would work fine, but it will probably void the warranty:eek:
Good point....suppose the recycling center would accept it?

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
You say you have a "crappy old mower" and you're concerned about voiding the warranty by using the wrong oil? :confused:

·
963 Posts
I would not think twice about using the oil in my mower. It is an air cooled engine as well. It might get used to it and demand such good treatment all the time! I too have abused my old 5hp for the last 14 yrs. I put whatever is left over in it to top it off. Never bothered changing it and mixed everything in it. I wish all engines were as tough as those little jobs. Rob

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
trooper113 said:
You say you have a "crappy old mower" and you're concerned about voiding the warranty by using the wrong oil? :confused:
trooper113,

I was a HD joke:D

There have been endless threads on the merits of synthetic oil vs
HD oil. Dealers are famous for implying that using anything but HD oil in your scooter will void the warranty. They can say whatever they want, but there are laws (Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, see http://www.mlmlaw.com/library/guides/ftc/warranties/undermag.htm) that say otherwise.

wyo

·
Registered
575 Posts
Its okay to use, but if you come back here complaining about the fuel mileage drop on your mower, we'll lash you.... It's simple, thicker oil means less fuel mileage... :D :D :D

·
Registered
688 Posts
Your lawn mower will start to sound like a V-Twin after the oil change. Not a bad way to recycle!!

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
trooper113 said:
Did anyone besides trooper really take my original and later posts here as anything but tounge in cheek? especially what it says over there above the little pic on the left..........

Note to self...."avoid driving in OK"

·
Registered
128 Posts
It's the FRIVOLOUS schtuff man!!

Logical......I really don't think anyone's TOO HOT DAMN flustered over much of anything that's said here....we're all here for a good time....and....maybe....just maybe....we MIGHT even learn sumpin' once in a while.....IF NOT.....then just crack open a COLD one, light up a GOOD smoke (if you're into that disgusting sorta' thing like I AM) and enjoy the frivolities....I always do.....enjoy the frivolities, too!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
575 Posts
Logical... I knew you were kidding, and my post was just cause I know you are aware of the 5w20/5w30 debate on the F150 boards :D

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
logical said:

Did anyone besides trooper really take my original and later posts here as anything but tounge in cheek? especially what it says over there above the little pic on the left..........

Note to self...."avoid driving in OK"
;) You can drive there. It says below my little pic on the left that I live in Texas.....retired after 30 years in the LE system in Oklahoma....and ya gotta agree, that'll warp anyone's sense of humah. I am, however, slowly regaining sanity. My therapist is a new FXD. :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts