V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
As to Harley Davidson Filter brand, Harley farms that out as most do.
It could be Hastings doing more research to try and find out.

In the link you provided the author states the following.
The Amsoil filters also have the advanced media, but they only have a very few square inches of it.
Because of my fear that these can become clogged up too easily, I cannot recommend them.

The remaining filters all have "normal" media, and have significantly poorer performance in capturing particles. I recommend you avoid Fram and Pennzoil filters.

Comments about an Amsoil SMF109
Advanced media, but not much of it. A flawed superior filter.

He also states that the filter he purchased from Amsoil a SMF103 was Internally contaminated with dirt particles when new.
I agree with the Author avoid Fram and Pennzoil filters.

I have never seen or heard this from any of my Amsoil customers.
I invite you to read about the SMF filters here
Also early in 2006 Amsoil will have the new EAO Oil filters available for Motorcycles.

As to the chrome cover Harley Davidson or Chrome Cover

{salute(

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
i have been running fram filters for over twenty years and have had no problems associated with them.if you want to pay $13 for a $5 filter go ahead.

·
Registered
194 Posts
This link has value to it in that you can see the type of valve and media in a filter but to make complete judgements based on that is to not get the entire picture. How much metal does the filter trap? Down to what micron level is it really effective? What is the pressure drop accross the filter? Those are all questions not answered. Not knocking the acticle, it is very educational and I have read it in the past. Just saying what you can see and theorize about is one thing, doing scientific testing is another. Is a filter that can hold x amount of metal any good if it lets anything smaller than 30 microns through? Also, do I need a filter to hold x amount of metal if I change the filter long before it ever gets close to capacity? Again, not knocking the article, just saying there could be more but I understand the limitations placed on the author who probably does not have a full scientific laboratory.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I was just reading my manual yesterday and it calls for a 10 micron filter (and I'm sure I read it on here somewhere too).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Martin64 you are correct it Harley calls for a 10 Micron filter. :wootdnc:

cfromc I agree whole heartedly :thumbsup:

As for the SMF103 being "contaminated with dirt particles when new".

I just cut open one of my brand new SMF103's the only "dirt" was from the cutting blade of my Dremel. :whistle:

{salute(

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
I think everyone is a bunch of prima donna's about oil filters. Most riders change their oil much sooner than necessary and the oil could probably run 1-2 times longer. Buy the filter that is available and don't sweat the small sh*t. I ran my shovel for 27 years and 180,000 miles using different oils, filters and the cheapest gas when nothing else was available. When I tore it down at 160,000 it was clean inside with minimal scuffing and wear. I rode the bike in AZ where there are no heat problems and sat in traffic all the time. Don't worry so much about the small stuff-just go out and ride!

Not trying to be a know it all-but enough is enough about the flippin' filters.:beatdh:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts