V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see HD now offers an oil cooler that mounts between the down tubes. It appears to be manufactured by JAGG. Either that or there is some patent stealing!

Anyway the P&A catalog states that the mounting plate at the oil filter has an integral thermostat. Does anyone have experience with this cooler/t'stat combo?

TIA

·
Registered
1 Posts
Read Donny Petterson article at Heavy Duty Cycles

I' ve Installed a Jag no frills model. meaning no thermgizmo.

But the justification for me is. My bike is built nearly to the max.
Cooling is needed! Stock bike? Forget it.

The thermostat opens at 180 deg. plus or minus? Therefore oil temp
need be at least 180 or problems develop. So I've installed a gauge
yeah it cost more. But I can see the difference. Below 180 ( 50 deg. ambient) Cover it! A major percent of the time thermogizmo will be
wide open. OK slower warm up? Not much.

Oh gage was 30$ more than themostat.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Got it, love it, was great during the summer and no problems so far with the cold weather...

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I run the H-D cooler on my Dyna. That model came with a T-stat (it not built in). I paid less than 200 bucks @ 20% off. Maybe the best under $200 investment I made for my bike. It gives the engine 20-30 deg drop and I rarely see oil temps over 220 now. I also like the fact that it cools the oil on the way back to the tank, this gives no cool oil "shock" to the heads. Fit & finish 1st class. I also used the stock oil line cover, I just cut out the notch for the cooler lines.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Kags, could you post a pic? Is the cooler you have the same one that would fit a softail?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Its the same cooler but Dyna coolers come with a mounting bracket that mounts in front of the engine mount . That places the cooler horizontal and low on the frame.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
buxndos said:
jfs how much did it lower oil temps on average?
During my winter riding the thermostat seems to stay around 220-240 when I dare look down at it on the oil tank, (obivously warmer in the engine) but during the summer I went gained a good 20 degrees of cooling "while the bike was in motion", but of course once you slow down you can watch that temperature rise.

·
Registered
39 Posts
jagg oil cooler

Don jagger himself had a garage set up in sturgis this past summer. As long as you purchased the cooler from him he installed it for free. Took about 20 minutes. Mounted it on the outside of the downtube on my 2000 FXDWG, out of the way of the engine. Oil lines run from the adapter under the oil filter to the cooler. A simple and clean installation. The cooler coupled with V-twin synthetic i figure was the best investment i've made.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
I was looking at the Jagg oil cooler (#4600) offset oil filter adapter. Their web site says it's used for Twin Cams. From the picture I can't see where the oil line fittings are. I'm thinking about putting it on a 02' FLHTCI Electriglide Classic. The original oil filter has very minimum clearance of the crank shaft positioning senser as it is unscrewed. I'm thinking the extra space consumed by the adapter will cause a clearance problems . Has anyone got experience and info on this situation?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
IF you go with the HD cooler there is no problem. It cheaper look good but does mount low and some folks dont like that.

·
Registered
39 Posts
SRB
The jagg adapter is wider than the oil filter. The oil filter is slightly offset to the left side of the adapter. There are two oil fittings mounted on the adapter which the lines are connected fron the cooler.You don't have to run the oil lines under the bike. There is more room to change the oil filter without interference of the crank positioning sensor due to (A. the offset of the filter and (B. the filter now is extended out about 1 to 2 inches since it is mounted on the adapter.(think of it as your filter being two inches longer).The filter serations are now out past the sensor. You no longer need a special filter wrench.
Earnhardt #3

1 - 14 of 14 Posts