V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
It's kinda been beat to death everywhere on the Internet. That test is not the ultimate definition of what's good or bad. Besides the difference is not that much anyway. The article doesn't say that HD oil is bad just that is came out worse in the test. Now, I use AMSOIL and have been for many, many miles. It's good stuff. I use it primarily for heat protection. I've also used Mobil 1, it's good stuff. I've also used HD oil for more than a few hundreds of thousands of miles and never had a problem with it. Just use whatever makes you comfortable and kinda ignore manufacturer's claims. If you ignore the bit about the 4 ball test, the article does make a couple of good points about BS that people at the dealers pass on.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
I agree with Ed here on amsoil and the rest. HD oil is almost as expensive as synthetic so for the added heat protection I choose the amsoil!!!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Oil in bike, good!
No oil in bike, bad!

Bottom line, use oil!

·
Registered
123 Posts
to quote Ed Y "Just use whatever makes you comfortable" but CHANGE IT OFTEN. Almost all of the oils out there are good when clean and fresh, and ALL of them are bad when old and contaminated!

·
Registered
305 Posts
As I suspected, it does show that Amsoil and M-1 are very similar.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
As an Amsoil preferred customer I get my stuff at cost so it becomes close to a "no brainer" for me to use Amsoil. A little more heat protection eases my mind.

;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I use 15w50 mobil 1 in my 1500 wing.And put it in my 02 heritage at 1600 miles,prior to winter storage.Next fall tranny will get mobil 1 75w90 gear lube.Probably put synthetic 10w40 in chain case.Although heard about type f tranny fluid in chain case,not sure on that one yet.10w fork fluid next fall.That aught to cover all fluids.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts