V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need advise so I don't do this again. I'm new to the group, although I've been reading the posts for the last few weeks. Just bought my first Harley, 2002 FLSTCI. Found a great deal on a pre-owned with only 1150 miles. Brought it home today, what a ride! Put about a hundred miles on it getting it home. When I got home, oil was leaking out of the air cleaner (surprise, surprise) and had sprayed all along the right side of the bike and me. I had read on the forum that HD was notorious for this, but dang, I didn't think it would happen on my very first ride! Talk about the wind being let out of my sail! Very Frustrating. I know I need to get it to the dealer and possibly have the oil pump aligned to correct the problem but, now I'm a little gun shy. I really don't want to have to buy a new pair of pants each time I ride. Any suggestion on how to avoid this from happening again? Any suggestions on a good wrench on the West Side of Houston?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Without seeing the problem, a firm diagnosis isn't possible. Is this a carb bike? Has the bike been modified? Any rejetting or air filter work? I bet the bike has been modified in that manner.

Let me be clear, I am not a mechanic but I've seen a problem like yours more than once on carb bikes. It is quite likely that you do NOT have a leak. When a bike is serviced, and your 1 K service would have been very recently, the air filter may be cleaned in a way that leaves excessive "oil" in it. This really isn't an oil leak. When the liquid then seaps out of the filter, it gives the impression that it comes from a leak. Take your finger and feel under the air filter cover. You'll likely find the source of your problem on the bottom of the air filter cover, which will be coated with liquid.

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
I hear that happens on TC's and Evo's that have been sitting for awhile (like on a sales floor) and/or riding hard at high speed (80+) for extended periods after sitting for awhile.. Don't know the reason though. Probably just needs some miles on her. Keep a check on it and the oil level.

·
Pestilence
2,092 Posts
Probably a cut, brittle, or partially (re)moved crankcase vent hose(s).
If you' ve got a manual......it's an easy check.
If you're gonna ride to the dealer, as 2k said, keep an eye on your oil level

·
Registered
129 Posts
Does your bike have the Screamin Eagle Air breather kit? If so, is it the old style with a cross over the top chrome tube or the new style with two separate head breather bolts going into the back of the filter plate?

Shooter

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
To all the folks who want to know if it's the carb.... the I in FLSTCI means it's injected.
TXROB take it to a dealer and raise hell if they don't want to fix this under warranty. I've not had this happen to me but I seem to recall reading this can happen and as you said an alignment is needed.
Good luck and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
758 Posts
If the "oil" depsoited on the right side of your engine is red, then someone got too aggressive with the K & N air filter oil. If it is golden or brownish, then you probably have a split or cut vent line. Most of the time, people put far too much air cleaner oil on the cleaner element when it gets serviced and when ridden, it gets blown all over the right side of the engine.

It is truly an easy fix and nothing to worry about, in either case.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
cwo2lt said:
To all the folks who want to know if it's the carb.... the I in FLSTCI means it's injected.
Blahahahahahahaha! Good eye, cwo2lt!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
2kflhr, you diagnosis might be right on. The guy I bought the bike from hurt his leg shortly after purchasing it and was unable to ride much. The bike sat in the garage for several months. It's less than a year old and only had 1150 when I picked it up. When driving it home, average speed was 75-80 mph for approximately 100 miles. The oil leak was NO Drip, overall, it lost close to a quart of oil and made one hell of a mess on the entire right side. Nothing was sacred, everything was sacraficed; saddle bag, driver seat, passenger back rest, garage floor, pants .......everything!

The bike is fuel injected and the only mod's that I'm aware of, is the baffles have been either pulled out or shortened. I don't think they've been pulled out completely cause the performance of the bike seems to be okay. So I'm guessing it has some back pressure at highway speeds.
I plan on replacing the exhaust and doing all the other stuff that goes along with aftermarket exhaust at that time I'll have the dealer look into the air filter puking.

Thanks to all for the quick response. The wind in the sail is coming back!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Welcome to the forum TXRob. I am in the Houston area as well. Hope to meet up with you and go riding but I will definitly be in front if you are slinging quarts of oil. LOL

Seriously, I hope you get it worked out and I am sure it is something simple.

·
Registered
103 Posts
TXRob said:
2kflhr, you diagnosis might be right on. The guy I bought the bike from hurt his leg shortly after purchasing it and was unable to ride much. The bike sat in the garage for several months. It's less than a year old and only had 1150 when I picked it up. When driving it home, average speed was 75-80 mph for approximately 100 miles. The oil leak was NO Drip, overall, it lost close to a quart of oil and made one hell of a mess on the entire right side. Nothing was sacred, everything was sacraficed; saddle bag, driver seat, passenger back rest, garage floor, pants .......everything!

Thanks to all for the quick response. The wind in the sail is coming back!
Sounds like a misaligned oil pump. Have your dealer check it out.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The quanity of oil you describe is not typical of the problem I raised. If it continues after 'breaking it in' for the years rest, my vote is a misaligned oil pump. There was a service bulletin out about two years ago on the problem.

Shooter

·
Registered
201 Posts
I know I'm comin in late to this...however I have a similar problem (although I'm not puking a quart of oil) with my '02 FLHRI. Installed the Arlen Ness Big Sucker w/ K&N filter and using stock bedpan...I notice oil on my right bag/pipe/cover/seat. It's really annoying....I also am sure that I'm not putting too much oil on the filter after I clean it...damn this is annoying!

T-Bone

1 - 13 of 13 Posts