V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

HI - From sunny California - I'm new to this site, thought I could reach other bikers and get some much needed help. I have a 1991 sportster -HD that I've just started riding (college parking lots only) can't wait to hit the streets - I have one problem tho - the clutch lever is to far out. As I ease out the clutch to engage the power to the rear wheel it pops out of my hand therefore I have difficulty taking off from a stop. Me I could ride forever and never stop but as a friend answered me as I was riding around the parking lot asking "why do I ever have to stop"?. My harley guru said "because of red lights". Oooohh such words of wisdom - **** why did'nt I think of that?:) I have heard of a clutch lever kit that you can buy that will rotate the clutch lever closer to the left handle. Has anyone heard about it? And does it work? Can I use it for a 1991 sportster? If anyone has any information and would really appreciate it.

May there alway be beautiful horizons and awesome sun sets

Ride Safe

·
Registered
102 Posts
Actually, it can be adjusted to bring the lever closer. A Cycle World article found here >> http://www.amp-research.com/cycleworld1.htm says,

An additional feature of the Power Clutch is a built-in adjuster for altering the clutch lever's reach. Even a person with small hands can easily reach the lever after adjusting a screw on the outside of the Power Clutch. And should you want an even easier clutch pull, the unit is supplied with a different overcentering spring that only requires a few minutes to install.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your reply

Thanks, that power clutch (e-z pull) was one of the first things I went out and bought. Did help a little on pulling in the clutch something like pulling in 20 lbs vs. 80 lbs. ha ha feel like I'm at the gym. I had a friend put it on (my harley guru) but he could'nt make it adjust to bring in the clutch lever. That's now my biggest problem. I heard there is a clutch levers you can buy in a kit that are more ergonmically correct???

Thanks again for your response.

Medicine Woman

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Yup, there are different shaped levers, but you might run into a problem.

The EZ pull reduces effort but shortens disengagement travel, if you add a lever that furter reduces it adjustment will become real critical.

The AMP is ugly, but works well and does not have this problem.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Proper clutch cable lubrication, ie soaking it in ATF, makes a big difference in effort. Don't count on them coming lubricated from the factory.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You know in thinking about it I went in and downloaded the instructions for the E-Z Pull from AMP's website. I'm going to go back and open up the box installed on my bike and possibly adjust the gear inside and adjust the screw on the outside seems simple enough. Also lube clutch cable... could help.... Thanks again guys for your input. I will keep you posted. Off to work .... Everyone have a great day.

Medicine Woman

1 - 9 of 9 Posts