V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first time using Leather Dressing on my RKC Bags. I am using the official Harley brand and have applied it liberally to all leather surfaces on the bags. The directions per the top of the tub are: "Apply, let penetrate, buff dry".

Ok.. so I applied and am currently letting it penetrate, my question is how long should I let it penetrate before I begin my buffing. So far it has been on the bags for about 3 hours in a "warm" room probably 75 degrees or so.

Anyone have any idea on how long to let it sit? Can it sit too long? Sorry newbie here.. any suggestions would be appreciated... Thanks..

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
3 hours. I leave it on for 5-10 minutes and it works really well.It may be time to take it off. Try a spot and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I don't think it could really 'sit' too long and cause any problems. It will penetrate very well if left in sunlight for 10 - 15 minutes on a warm day.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the feedback.. I wiped em down.. they look nice and shiny black again! I put em back in the "warm" room to see if the will soak anything else up...

With the waxing of my bike the other day.. and the new leathers.. we are ready for this year of riding.. if only the rain would stop now...

·
Registered
454 Posts
Roseville?

Jimcampo - you're right up the road from me. It'll be nice when this freakin' 6 week non stop rainfest ends! Gonna be GREEN out there this spring!

·
Registered
640 Posts
On the other side of the mountains, gonna be alot of bugs also.
Hope to ride my new FLTRI over this weekend from Sac HD. Think I'll need chains over I-80?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OrangeTJ - Ya.. I am up in Roseville... whereabouts are you? Its always nice to meet people that are close to ya...

FE Butte - I went up to Truckee on Tuesday it was snowing pretty good but they are doing a good job wit the plows and sand.. so the road should be clear...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OrangeTJ - Ahh Folsom.. I work in Folsom.. very close to FOlsom HD so I am in there all the time.. and ride to work every chance I get.. (although I am a fair weather rider)... What do you ride?

·
Registered
225 Posts
anybody ever use this stuff on their seats?looks like it would would leave 'em greasy:huh:

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
It comes with the HD leather seats. I use it on mine all the time. It keeps the seat water proof/resistant. Water just beads off. Never had a problem sliding around.

·
TX Hill Country Explorer
893 Posts
How often do you guys use the dressing? I used mine about every 3-4 weeks in south Texas as they bags look a little dry after a few weeks of baking in the summer sun when out riding.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have the Sundowner "leather" seats...turns out the only thing leather is the basketweave patchs on each side.
As for leather conditioner..it can be left pretty much indefinately...you need to buff so that leather will not be tacky and attract dust and dirt.

·
Banned
135 Posts
My RKC bags are nearing ten years old these days (ten years of constant use, not sitting under a cover or in a trailer). I've used HD leather dressing, mink oil, saddle soap, and even black shoe polish. They now look slightly used but well cared for. I follow about half the directions.....regularly. I think the secret is to pay your leather (and the rest of your scooter) alot of attention. It will forgive you if you don't always do it in an exacting manner. It will not forgive outright neglect. So....rub some stuff on there, buff it if you feel like it. Do it again in a couple of weeks or so. Ride in the meantime.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts