V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the deal with their kickstands? Always seems like the bike is ready to roll off the stand and fall over..If my handlebars are not turned all the way to the left, it tries to roll forward and almost falls over..even on the level garage floor..seems like all Harley kickstands are like this..what the?

·
Registered
2008 Dyna Super Glide Custom, 2015 BMW K1600GTL
200 Posts
What is the deal with their kickstands? Always seems like the bike is ready to roll off the stand and fall over..If my handlebars are not turned all the way to the left, it tries to roll forward and almost falls over..even on the level garage floor..seems like all Harley kickstands are like this..what the?
Harley used a proprietary product called a Jiffy stand. As the bike leans over, there's a tab on the stand that fits into the space on the frame. The bike is supposed to move a little bit as that tab locks into place. I really wish all manufacturers would make their stands this way, it makes rolling off a stand impossible. Take a look when your bike's on the stand, crawl under there, and you should see the tab locked into place.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Harley used a proprietary product called a Jiffy stand. As the bike leans over, there's a tab on the stand that fits into the space on the frame. The bike is supposed to move a little bit as that tab locks into place. I really wish all manufacturers would make their stands this way, it makes rolling off a stand impossible. Take a look when your bike's on the stand, crawl under there, and you should see the tab locked into place.

so you mean every time my bike starts to roll forward on the stand, its impossible that it will tip over?Man it sure scares me every time it does this!

·
Registered
200 Posts
so you mean every time my bike starts to roll forward on the stand, its impossible that it will tip over?Man it sure scares me every time it does this!
Correct... assuming the stand is down. Here is a picture of the locking port that the tab fits into.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Here is another picture of the tab locked into place. The tab only locks once the bike is full leaned over

·
In disguise
2,901 Posts
Could it be that the OP’s jiffy stand is either broken, or not the correct part? Maybe get somebody to hold the bike upright while somebody else look under there and operate the stand to see if it locks into anything.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Could it be that the OP’s jiffy stand is either broken, or not the correct part? Maybe get somebody to hold the bike upright while somebody else look under there and operate the stand to see if it locks into anything.
Always possible, but not likely. His description is standard. I'd certainly look to be sure

·
Registered
2004 FLSTCI, 1993 FXDL
852 Posts
Best stand in the world! My LowRider was parked facing the sidewalk with the forks locked at my parking space at work. A coworker zipped in and thought that spot was empty. He reversed into that spot with his Prius so hard the bike went up onto the sidewalk and came back down into the parking spot still on it's Jiffy Stand. The rear fender was smashed into the tire. Cost him over a grand for a new fender. And my tail light will be forever imprinted into his plastic bumper.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Dynas are different. They have their tab as part of the stand, and it fits in a recess in the frame up under the motor. Same results. I like that I can park it on a slight hill and it won't roll forward or backward off the stand. It might move maybe an inch or so due to play in the tab and frame, but it's not going anywhere as long as all parts are intact.

Sometime there can be a problem when someone has lowered a bike so much that it is too near vertical when on the jiffy stand and any slight push can take it over towards the brake side.

I have the opposite problem with the FXDX shocks on my Lowrider. Putting it on the stand feels like I am laying it on it's side. Took a while to get used to it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just went out and checked it out and thankfully its just like yall said! I feel much better now. I even tried rolling it and it just dragged the kickstand! Thank you all for this info! I was worried about how it always wanted to roll a little and afraid it was going to fall all the time.

·
Premium Member
2,227 Posts
Yeah, I've seen mechanics push the bikes backwards, sliding the kickstands on the concrete. Problem is, they are pushing on the batwing with a lot of force. Then the owner gets his bike back and wonders how the mounting tabs are cracked inside the batwing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ha, i was showing a couple of my riding buddys at work today and none of them knew about these stands either so we have all been worried about these things falling over!

·
Premium Member
2,227 Posts
Yes, they will break with too much vibration, but it doesn't do any good to push 800lbs with four little brackets.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts