V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a gerbings heated liner and a pair of hd [gerbing] heated gloves,i dont have a thermostat so my liner is very warm and my gloves are barley warm at all,would a thermostat make my gloves warmer???

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
No, it wouldn't. A duel thermostate could be used to turn down your kiner and adjust the gloves to full power though. I have the Gerbing gloves. I had a choice of two models, one nearly a hundred dollars more than the other model. The top of the line has more wire inside but still seem less bulky and even more flexible to a degre. My gloves seem to balance out with the liner no matter what setting I have the thermostat on.

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
I forgot to mention that if a duel thermostat is used you would have to plug the gloves into the thermostat and not the liner sleeves...leaves a little to be desired.

·
TL
500 Posts
Gloves on?

When I first got my gloves, I wasn't sure they were even working. However, I believe this is by design. If they got much warmer, your hands would constantly sweat and that wouldn't be good. To validate that they were working, one 40 degree night, I swapped out the heated gloves for a set of conventional gauntlet gloves and my hands got chilled quickly.

That's my experience anyway FWIW.
TL

·
04 Ultra
248 Posts
FifthGear said:
I forgot to mention that if a duel thermostat is used you would have to plug the gloves into the thermostat and not the liner sleeves...leaves a little to be desired.
Are you sure? I believe you still plug your gloves into the liner sleeves and plug th black lead into the thermostat black lead of a dual thermostat.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
tlewis said:
When I first got my gloves, I wasn't sure they were even working. However, I believe this is by design. If they got much warmer, your hands would constantly sweat and that wouldn't be good. To validate that they were working, one 40 degree night, I swapped out the heated gloves for a set of conventional gauntlet gloves and my hands got chilled quickly.

That's my experience anyway FWIW.
TL
I've had the same experience. The HD heated gloves(Gerbing) make my hands feel, neutral, I guess, is how I would descride them. Not hot or cold.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the reply i thought man what a wast of money ,i was told by one of dealers that i stopped at that they don't get hot they just keep your hands from getting cold which is pretty much what you said.i just thought that if you could dial it up with a therm. it may make them warmer but.....thats what i get for thinking again.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I will admit my stupidity for the cause. just make sure that if you have dual plug inputs on the liner, that you have dual power going to the jacket, I couldn't figure out why my hands were not getting warm, you need a splitter to power the gloves even though the wires come out of the sleeves.

On the oldstyle jackets with 1 input the gloves wires are powered.

the new style with the PDU need two power inputs.

Now my hands get real warm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my liner has ...1-black for gloves....1-white for connection to the battery harness....1-yellow for accessories 3-total on the inside,then the two at the sleeves to plug the gloves into,i was told by the hd guy to plug the yellow into the black he said they don't get real warm but they keep your hands from getting cold.are you saying i can get them to heat up w/therm.?.....thanks in advance for your time in helping the mentally challenged

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Well, the Gerbing Harley connectors are the OLD style Gerbing connecters. I am only familiar with the new...no guessing colors...just male and female connections. I can say that the cheaper gloves have many less heat tracing wires and are more bulky. So, the less tracing you have the less efficient. The top of the line have many but are such compact and well made that they are even thinner and more flexible than the cheaper. That means one thing..the cheaper are gonna be less warm. My top of the line Gerbing get hot when the full power of the thremostat is cranked up or the gloves are connected direct without the thermostat. The cheaper pairs don't. I am not familiar with Harley Gerbing gloves but from the posts here I am thinking maybe they are Gerbing's lower model but probably sells for a premium because they have the Harley name. If your gloves don't get hot ...believe me there are models out there that do. ;)

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
the hd guy told you wrong, the best way to check is to plug 1 glove directly into your power let it warm up for a few minutes see how hot it gets, then try his way with the other glove. Don't ask how I know! I rode all last winter with unheated gloves!!!

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
I've had both types of Gerbing gloves. The G-3's are more expensive but not gauntlet gloves. This is why I sold them and went with the Classic's, which are gauntlet. With the G-3's it was always a pain in the ass to try and tuck them in my jacket. With the gauntlet Classic's, they slip right on over the jacket sleeve, lot less hassle. As far as heat, both types heat extremely well. I have the dual control and jacket liner. With the dual, you can heat gloves and jacket liner seperately. The other day it was 45 degrees and I had the controls set on low, any lower and it would have clicked off....was just right.

·
Registered
114 Posts
One hot, one cold?

I rode 170 miles yesterday with temps about 38 degrees. I have the dual controller so can control the jacket with the one knob, the gloves with the other knob. I turned the knob on the gloves, and the left glove got nice and warm, almost hot, but I felt nothing in the right glove. I actually turned the heat down because the left side was too hot. I think I need to ck to see if the right glove is broken.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Glove

First thing I checked was to make sure it was plugged in. I think I will either plug it directly into the 12V outlet coming off the battery and see if it works, or test it with my VOM for resistance.

I bought the gloves from a fellow rider who bought the EG Ultra Classic Screaming Eagle with heated grips and he no longer needed them. So do I need a receipt to get them repaired if one is defective?

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
if your friend registered them it should be no problem, I would call not email them and ask, if you have the friends name tell them its you, they will check on the computer then have them do a change of address to your house. A little sneaky but probably easier than going through the whole- I bought from blah blah blah...explanation.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
dominick44 said:
I have a gerbings heated liner and a pair of hd [gerbing] heated gloves,i dont have a thermostat so my liner is very warm and my gloves are barley warm at all,would a thermostat make my gloves warmer???
Maybe, the jacket draws more power than the gloves so if you could control the jacket power use with a thermostat it may allow more power to pass to the gloves, in other words, the un-controlled jacket may be sucking off most of the power and there may not be enough to the gloves.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
New Gloves

I have just installed a pair these Gerbings gloves and over concerns that they didn't feel 'warm' I came in to check the forums.

Is it correct to understand that these gloves are not supposed to feel warm? I mean I didn't ride anywhere, just sat with the bike idling waiting for these things to warm up. Didn't notice any warmth after sitting for 5 minutes.

Maybe the difference is apparent when you're traveling down the highway at 55 mph when it's 20F? I don't want to find out these things don't work properly in such a scenario...

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I have just installed a pair these Gerbings gloves and over concerns that they didn't feel 'warm' I came in to check the forums.

Is it correct to understand that these gloves are not supposed to feel warm? I mean I didn't ride anywhere, just sat with the bike idling waiting for these things to warm up. Didn't notice any warmth after sitting for 5 minutes.

Maybe the difference is apparent when you're traveling down the highway at 55 mph when it's 20F? I don't want to find out these things don't work properly in such a scenario...
you may not have them hooked correctly, that was my problem, if you only have one connection from the battery to the pdu (liner), then the power isn't going to the gloves, you would need a splitter or a dual controller, I have the power going to an on/off switch, to a splitter into the pdu, the gloves do get warm!

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
you may not have them hooked correctly, that was my problem, if you only have one connection from the battery to the pdu (liner), then the power isn't going to the gloves, you would need a splitter or a dual controller, I have the power going to an on/off switch, to a splitter into the pdu, the gloves do get warm!
I don't have a liner; just gloves. I'm using the included Y-splitter, power switch, and battery connecting harness. Double checked all connections and the fuse. It's all installed correctly, just no perceivable warmth in the gloves.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts