V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if the HD GPS can be moved from the bike to the car very easily and what accessories will I need to make the swap?

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
I don't have the Harley GPS system so I'm not sure if it comes with a car vehicle bracket, but it's a standard Garmin Quest unit so if it doesn't, all you need is the Garmin vehicle mount. The receiver just snaps into the mount so it can be moved easily.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Just a note on GPS ..... One of the major issues i see with GPS on the road is the distraction from the task of riding..... Also one must realize the the GPS signal is pretty fragle and anytime you have heavy tree canopy ,, the gps signal will get blocked and your GPS will quit working due to loss of signal. I have two GPS units ..both older models with moving maps .... i have yet to feel the need to put one on the bike. I view them as too much distraction from the SIPDE defensive riding technique .... rat

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
I have the Garmin Quest. The HD unit is about double in price and the only feature I see as different is the list of HD dealers. The dealers can be added manually to a regular quest.

As far as being a distraction, I have to disagree. Imagine travelling in a new area and being told by a soothing female voice where and when to turn.

Don't get no better than that!!

The HD mounting bracket was the first thing I ordered for my new bike.

My Garmin work perfectly around big buildings and under any tree covered road I have travelled.

2 Thumbs up from me!!

Brad

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
rentalman said:
I have the Garmin Quest. The HD unit is about double in price and the only feature I see as different is the list of HD dealers. The dealers can be added manually to a regular quest.

As far as being a distraction, I have to disagree. Imagine travelling in a new area and being told by a soothing female voice where and when to turn.

My Garmin work perfectly around big buildings and under any tree covered road I have travelled.

2 Thumbs up from me!!

Brad
It can be a distraction if you constantly look at it but for me, it's better than carrying a paper map and I find it a comfort knowing that I can explore and go where I want but it always tells me how to get to where I was going in the first place. I have a RAM mount on my Heritage so it runs off the internal battery, which lasts 15-20 hours. And for having a list of dealers, I got you covered...go here to download a file with all of the US dealers that you can transfer to your receiver.

·
Registered
769 Posts
rentalman said:

2 Thumbs up from me!!

Brad

LOL sure it does ,, i tour with my wife ,she has over 40 thousand miles in on the back of the glide touring with me..,she is a retired AAA auto club manager with 30 years with the company .....trust me when you get to the motel ,,, its alot better to snuggle up with her than it is a GPS ... can your GPS clean your windscreen .... or go in and get a bottle of cold water while you fill the gas tank...... I havent used the latest and greatests GPS with the voice directions ,,,,, but i have plenty of experience with GPS and loran in aircraft .... they are very luring distraction if you are not careful. The voice instructions sound interesting ......especially for solo riding ,,, but i think I will just stick with the map and keep things simple...... lol. rat

·
Registered
779 Posts
Here's what you need:

http://shop.garmin.com/accessory.jsp?sku=010-10505-00

This is the mount that comes with the Quest (non-Harley version)

Suction cup and glass need to be clean, or it slips off from time to time...

I use mine on my bike, and two cars. No problem with trees so far...

Edit: Same as Shutterbugs link. Sorry for the dupe...

·
Still alive
546 Posts
If anyone wants a good gps here is a link to

WWW.techbargains.com has this

Garmin StreetPilot 2610 In-Car GPS Receiver $498.75 shipped free, Dec 13
Price drop. amazon.com has the Garmin StreetPilot 2610 In-Car GPS Receiver with 128 MB CompactFlash Card on sale for a low $498.75 after code: CUSTAPPRSAVE (Exp 12/20) Free shipping. Tax in KS, ND, WA.
Email Deal Similar Deals

From what I understand, you can add a 1gb compact flash card and get all the maps into the unit. I am not sure if it is waterproof but I have a gps v and have ridden in heavy rain, all I do is take out the plug and run on batteries

UPDATE: If you can't find it do a search on 2610 or go direcly to amazon.com.
Lexar Media 1 GB Compact Flash HSS (40X) $59.99, Dec 14
amazon has the Lexar Media 1 GB Compact Flash HSS (40X) on sale for $59.99 after rebate, free shipping.
Buy.com has the Kingston 1GB Elite Pro Compact Flash Card

Our Price: $57.95
After Rebate(s): $47.95

Lowest price search

·
72FX/04Ultra
598 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
>>From what I understand, you can add a 1gb compact flash card and get all the maps into the unit.

It takes 1.6 gigs to load all the USA maps. I have a 2610 with a 2 gig Kingston Pro cf card(it was on sale for $79 on Amazon), that works super. I have the entire USA detail maps loaded & room to spare.

The Garmin 2610 is indeed waterproof & is HANDS DOWN the best gps available for MC use. I have had a lot of experience with various gps units(I am on my 5th one)& the 2610 is simply awesome, it beats the Quest in screen quality & features. The Quest is a decent unit, but the 2610 is a lot better.

~John

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
jmorton10 said:
The Garmin 2610 is indeed waterproof & is HANDS DOWN the best gps available for MC use. I have had a lot of experience with various gps units(I am on my 5th one)& the 2610 is simply awesome, it beats the Quest in screen quality & features. The Quest is a decent unit, but the 2610 is a lot better.

~John
I had a hard time picking one but what swayed me on the Quest over the 2610 is the portability. I don't need to wire it to the bike and can take it off, put it in a pocket and use it while walking around if I want.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Yea, the 2610 is not a pocket unit(of course the Quest really isn't either).

I use the included AC adapter to use the 2610 inside, but if you really are planning to walk around with it then the Quest would obviously be a better option.

~John

·
72FX/04Ultra
598 Posts
Sorry for hijacking the thread, UTRVP. I think you're seeing a trend... no one is really keen on the HD unit and thus the lack of feedback to your question.

As said earlier, you'll have to purchase some Quest I accessories to get it to work conveniently in the car. The HD unit is just a Quest I in HD dressing. The Quest II is Garmin's replacement for that version. The specifically HD adapter for the bike isn't even available from Garmin, I understand.

As you will see, many HD GPS owners skip the HD option. They have found more full featured and versatile GPS units at the same or lesser price. I'm not aware of anyone having difficulty finding mounts that work for them as well as the HD unit. I will give HD credit though, it's a clean mount and well integrated with no intention of being used in the car.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
fauskar said:
Sorry for hijacking the thread, UTRVP. I think you're seeing a trend... no one is really keen on the HD unit and thus the lack of feedback to your question.

As said earlier, you'll have to purchase some Quest I accessories to get it to work conveniently in the car. The HD unit is just a Quest I in HD dressing. The Quest II is Garmin's replacement for that version. The specifically HD adapter for the bike isn't even available from Garmin, I understand.

As you will see, many HD GPS owners skip the HD option. They have found more full featured and versatile GPS units at the same or lesser price. I'm not aware of anyone having difficulty finding mounts that work for them as well as the HD unit. I will give HD credit though, it's a clean mount and well integrated with no intention of being used in the car.
Thanks to all for their input. My wife works at our local HD dealer so with her discount the Harley unit is cheaper for me so it is likely that I will get that one. As far as it being a distraction if you have a map taped to your gas tank or in a tank bag that is probably more distracting. When I ride I only change the radio etc when stopped with the excetion of the handlebar mounted controls which do not require me to divert my attention to them. When on the road a GPS should be no more distracting than checking your fuel gauge or speedometer. Obviously if you are tinkering with the settings while riding that's another story but properly used I don't see it as being distracting.

·
Registered
769 Posts
[ When on the road a GPS should be no more distracting than checking your fuel gauge or speedometer. Obviously if you are tinkering with the settings while riding that's another story but properly used I don't see it as being distracting.[/QUOTE]

The tinker factor is exactly what i was talking about ,,,,,i know when loran c first came to aviation ,,,, every new owner in the country spent way too much time dorkin with the new toy and not enough time looking out the windscreen for traffic .......you give the boys toys and they will play with them. GPS is a pretty cool gizzy ,, i have had one for years..... i have resisted hookin it up to the bike ......I kinda look at GPS on the bike like i look at Cell phones users in cars. The tech is really cool though and the moving maps are far superior to the ones they had at first ..... you can even get GPS with weather radar display over the moving maps.........rat

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Gps

I have the Garmin Quest (Not the HD unit), using the Harly Mount and Hot shoe on a '04 Ultra. Extremely clean look. Be careful touching the screen it damages way to easily.

You need to run an output line to the AUX plug for voice directions. Then have your radio on AUX to hera it through the speakers. I find it everything but distracting since it gives plenty of warning for the next turn. The amount of memory is enough to go from FL to SD which covers the most area I do in one trip. The Quest 2 and the HD Quest have all of the US on them preloaded.

The unit is waterproof and easy to read with lots of data. Preplanned routes are easy to create and recalculating is quick if you miss a turn. Unit is small and you can get a car cradle for about $30. I transfer mine back and forth all of the time with absolutely no hassel.

Good luck though buying the hot shoe for the fairing connection. Had to go to 4 dealers before one would order me a unit.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Huckley said:
Good luck though buying the hot shoe for the fairing connection. Had to go to 4 dealers before one would order me a unit.
Hot shoe? What is a hot shoe?

I ordered this;

Road Tech™ Quest™ Mounting Kit - Electra Glide® Models
Kit includes necessary installation hardware, wiring harness, mounting template, and instructions.

Do I need to order something else?

Brad

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Garmn 2610?

I have read members heralding the 2610 but I make the suggestion to look at the Garmin 2720. It is a bit more expensive then the 2610 but includes all maps in it. The resolution is a bit better and it has auto dimming.

I got one last September for the trip to Myrtle Beach and it worked great.
-2$en#e-

·
Banned
1,443 Posts
I can buy a HD GPS for $500, plus about $45 for the mount, that does not seem bad for a decent unit with a very clean installation compared to a big bulky mounted handlebar system.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts