V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who is able to share the pro's and con's on the HD alarm. I ordered on my new bike, (which is in but waiting on 2 back ordered add ons) and need to know if the folks who have this option like it and also do you use a chain or dics lock as well.

Is this alarm all you need to secure at a rally etc. other than a tow truck hooking up and taking it away?

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Hey Joe,

If the alarm was available for my '99 FXDX I'd pop for it. If someone wants your bike bad enough they will steal it no matter what. Any deterent is better than none and multiple locks and an alarm is about as good as you can get. I've heard horror stories of four dirtbags with two lengths of heavy wall pipe physically picking up scooters and loading them in cargo vans. Gone in a matter of seconds! Most of the state rallies are safe. Mutual respect amongst all doing the lifestyle thing.

A hard steel chain looped between the frames of yours and your buddies bikes is a good idea when parking in any known bad areas. Just be selective where you go and stick to the safe rallies and runs.

Later,

Mike

·
Registered
53 Posts
Alarm

I have a 02 Fatboy that came with the alarm system (lights only). I just bought the siren for it and will have it installed Monday along with Progessive shock extenders (2" ass drop) and my first 1000 mile checkup! I'm from Milwaukee originally and bikes were stolen there at a very alarming rate. Anything you can do to prevent is well spent bucks in my opinion! buena suerte, Dan NM

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Theoretically it makes the bike more risky and expensive to steal. As opposed to an aftermarket alarm it is not possible just to steal the bike and remove the alarm. Unless the bike is taken for parts, it will require a new TSSM if battery power is removed when the system is armed and activated, and the bike has to go thru a TSSM/ECM serial data password learning procedure. This would disqualify all but very professional thieves and if the bike were taken to a dealer and people were awake and data were in the system red flags would be raised. Even if just the sale of TSSM's were recorded against some form of ID would help.Thus the "theoretically".

On the downside it is a complicated system. Take your time to learn it and make sure you program a manual disable code into it before riding the bike and pay attention to details when working on the bike. It is possible to lock yourself out too. LOL.
People do have problems with them, but they are almost always self inflicted. Learn the thing and it changes the odds a little in your favor.

Deleting the system really doesn't help much to eliminate the complication because other then the alarm function the stuff is still on the bike.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think that it is a good investment. Some of the big insurance companies offer an alarm discount. It must have a siren for them to be able to offer it though. A few years of insurance savings will almost buy it for you. I will also agree with Hippo. If someone does steal it with the alarm activated new parts will have to be purchased to be able to ride it. That should send a red flag up at the dealer where the parts are trying to be purchased. But true professional theives already have a way around that problem.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Lisa (huckelberry1) has seldom used the security system on her 2002 FXDL. Sounds like a good idea and it is if it were easier to operate. When we travel together, we lock the forks and we often hook our two bikes together with a Cobralink chain. IMHO any additional security is better than none. Is it worth the price? Probably yes. However, if a real thief wants YOUR bike, the bike is history.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Hippo,

Please decode TSSM and ECM.

:confused:

Can you point to anymore info on how the factory system works?

I ordered it on my '02 fatboy, not in yet....
Based on the comments here, I'll add the audible alarm option ($60) and top it off with an ABUS chain/lock.

Regards,
wyodude

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
ECM= electronic control module, the module that controls ignition and fuel injection.

TSM / TSSM= turn signal / turn signal and security module.

When you get the bike you should get a video tape that explains the alarm, there is a long section in the owners manual and it is explained in detail in the factory manual and electric troubleshooting manual. Takes half a book to explain this thing. If you read and understand the owners manual you will be ahead of 90% of most.

·
Registered
70 Posts
To quickly sum up the factory alarm system. Once the alarm is turned on, the bike is not capable of running untill the alarm is turned off properly. The only way to make it run is to purchase a new ECM. Most alarms are just noise makers to make a simple minded theif run. The HD alarm will ruin a common thiefs day. When a strange guy pops up into a dealership wanting his bike to run he is in trouble. The only problem is the true professional thief already has a way around this problem.

wyodude, I think you have the best possible combo. If they make the effort to get your scoot nothing will stop them. Be sure to tell your insurance company about the alarm. Some companies honor the discount but only if you remind them. They will not always offer it to you while they take your information.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The only way to make it run is to purchase a new ECM.

TSSM, not ECM. And even with the new TSSM you still have to go thru a password learning routine.

You can actually get the bike to run bypassing the TSSM (if you have to limp it home), but you will have so many secondary symphtoms it's not even funny. One would have to be unaware of reality way beyond the norm not to realize it was a stolen bike.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks for the info Hippo. I would like to know how to bypass the TSSM if you ever feel like explaining. I am still learning the new motorcycles with the advanced technology. The bike I have now is the first late model I have really messed with.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Varies depending on bike version and equipment, but the concept is simple. The ECM or ignition module and various relays as the starter relay are grounded thru the TSSM and when the system is activated the grounds are lost. All you have to do is provide an alternate ground. You have to know the terminal numbers and color codes for your particular bike, that's all.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Whew...
I am glad to see that you guys think that the factory alarm is worth the added expense...'cause I ordered my FXDL with the alarm ...I figured that I would make it as hard as possible to steal my bike... Thanks ... and again you guys are a wealth of info... Royce

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks Hippo,

I can see now where there would be alot of extra problems when you patch it to limp it home. If it is an emergency, that would be a pretty simple fix if you know the color/terminal codes.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Video & manual

diverduck1,

I got my bike today. Real nice. NJ weather was 55 when i picked it up, couldn't ask for better ride since we are in the middle of winter.

You get a video and your manual explain the alarm system in detail. I had the screamer installed too yesterday prior to picking it up. An extra $60.00. Fits under the seat.

Can't wait to put my Zaino polish on tomorrow.

My local dealership was such a pleasure to work with and the experience far exceeded my expectations.

Joe

·
Registered
20 Posts
HIPPO _ Please read _ Alarm Problem

Hippo, and to anyone else that may have information. 2002 ultra, with factory security system... Security worked great when i got it, (2 damn weeks ago) but now the remotes dont activate it or disable it. Unless... i remove the seat and put the fob down by the battery / security module.. now i did go through and program the manual overide, so im ok to ride the thing, but in a nutshell, I have no distance whatsoever with the fob's.... I have replaced the 2032 batteries in them, made sure the bikes battery is fully charged... so what gives... do you have any idea why i have no distance with the fob's??.... I have a friend that has a 2001 road king, and has the same problem with his security... yes it is under warrentee, but if its something i did, I would like to know.... I have done one simple mod, and that was to run a wire from the battery to the tourpack for lighting... which i have removed (thinking that the wire is causing interference with the security module or something).. but the same... Please help if you can!
Doug

·
Registered
27 Posts
Fob and bike out of sync?

Itools,

Are you pressing on the fob repeatedly when you are away from the bike? If so you may be causing the fob and bike to go out of sync. If that is the case there is a simple fix as per the manual- just hold down the fob button while near the bike 'till the bike confirms the signal. At that point if that was the prob just be careful not to press the button when away from bike. I hope that helps. :cool:

Don

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello diverduck1

You can't go wrong with the alarm. I picked up my fatboy last November and had them install the siren before I took delivery. Just be carefull & remember when you activate the alarm. Nothing more ebarasing than siting on your own bike & setting of the alarm:eek:

Congrats on your bike

1 - 20 of 28 Posts