V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed by backrest and want to attach the emblem to the new rest. What kind of glue does HD use? Looks like some kind of putty. I had to use my wifes hairdryer and a wooden pry stick to get the thing off.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The emblem I put on my FXDWG3 used some sort of 3M adhesive tape. I have to take it off, too ------- I'm thinking maybe acetone (scary, I know) will dissolve the adhesive???

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
3M emblem tape is what you want to stick it on with. Stop by a bodyshop and ask 'em to sell you a piece. You can cut it to fit with sharp scissors.

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
3m tape

it's called 3M automotive acrylic plus attachment tape. It comes on a roll. Kinda pricey for one job. If you have a friend in the body shop biz, hit him up for a few pieces. It's really sturdy stuff. Goof off will soften it too. I usually rub it off with my thumb and finish up with a solvent or thinner, then buff.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Note the 3M adhesive tape does have a cure time. Let it set for at least 12 hours before subjecting it to vibration. Cures in 24.
Just and FYI.
Ride safe.

·
Registered
675 Posts
You can use 3M Emblem adhesive, a tube costs about 4 bucks at your local auto supply. It is a clear adhesive, good for gluing on emblems and trim. It is also good for gluing the rubber bead on the chrome dash panels on your superglides and lowriders.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I use heavy duty velcro on mine, but it depends on what kind of emblem you have. I used to have a solid metal one that velcro did not work for because it was too heavy, I switched to a very light emblem and the velcro is perfect.

·
90 FXRS LOWRIDER
553 Posts
acetone, (fingernail polish remover), zippo fluid will also take any sticky residue off with ease. soak it, let it sit for a minute, soak again and rub. soak and rub as needed. depending on how much stuff you have left on the sissy bar mount or whatever. if you do this on a painted surface, make sure to wash the spot and wax afterward.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts