V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After installing the ball/ramp assy will the clutch need to be adjusted at the basket?

If so, is it easiest to remove the primary cover or is it easy to do with it on? Any tricks or tips to this?

Yes, I have a manual but personal experience (I have none) is best!

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
sixgun95 said:
After installing the ball/ramp assy will the clutch need to be adjusted at the basket?

If so, is it easiest to remove the primary cover or is it easy to do with it on? Any tricks or tips to this?

Yes, I have a manual but personal experience (I have none) is best!

I'm certain that a clutch basket and cable adjustment would be required after changing the ramps. It's very easy to do and is outlined in your manual. Some folks use a special wrench to torque the 11/16" nut on the center of the clutch while holding the socket head screw. In practice, I've been able to torque after setting the socket head and partially tightening the big nut with an angular box wrench so as to avoid having it move. At the same time, you will want to set the slack in the cable with the adjuster in the center of the cable.

There is no need to remove the outer primary cover if you are only adjusting the clutch. It's only necessary to take that off if you are changing the spring diaphragm disk since, on my bike at least, it wouldn't fit through the derby cover opening.

BTW, if you are working with any of the Torx head screws (primary drain for example) get a good set of Torx wrenches since those screws are very easy to strip.

Good luck! :)

·
B-Rad, BFMC 104
537 Posts
I just did mine 2 days ago, ramps only, and I didn't have the need to adjust anything after the install...

The clutch is as it was before the install, but slightly easier to pull. Can use 2 fingers in traffic now without pain. Getting ready for the 10k check-up so if it needs adjusted they will do it, but the last time they did, I changed it when I got home anyway as they had it engaging way too late for my taste.

My .02

Brad

·
I'm Paid Up...
1,732 Posts
You won't change the engaged position of the clutch basket with that mod. Just set free play on cable. That should do it for you. If you need/want to adjust the clutch,,just remove the inspection (derby) cover. Its the large round one 3 or 5 hole.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
I just installed the kit over the weekend and agree with the other responses you got. I took my primary cover off because I installed an automatic chain tensioner at the same time although I read somewhere that you could fish the new spring through the inspection cover opening. I adjusted the clutch basket, which is easy to do, although I don't think it was necessary after doing the install. Unless it's damaged, the inspection cover gasket is re-useable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts