V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here been able to install a new clutch lever without having to drain the tranny fluid and drop the transmission side cover? I loosened the jam nut and set the clutch adjustment cable as loose as it would go (about 7 turns) and still couldn't get enough slack to pull the lever out of its housing. I can do the extra work, but this has turned into more than you would have thought to just swap out two levers. And it's too cold to be working on the bike outside for more than 1/2 hour.
Also, it doesn't say anything about in the directions, but would you put in a new retaining ring? It seems like cheap insurance. I might just be paranoid, but the old ring didn't seem to fit as tight after I replaced it. Thanks.:eek:

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you remove the "C" clip that holds the clutch lever pivot pin in the mount and collapse the adjuster, you should be able to remove the handle by guiding the cable through the slit in the perch without any more work.

G

·
TCSTD said:
If you remove the "C" clip that holds the clutch lever pivot pin in the mount and collapse the adjuster, you should be able to remove the handle by guiding the cable through the slit in the perch without any more work.
Yes, that's how it's done. If you're not getting te cable clear of the bracket, even dropping the clutch release cover wouldn't help. When you've got the cable adjusting nut fully collapsed, grasp the cable sheath near the bracket, and pull it away from the bracket. Once the shoulder of the sheath clears the bracket, the cable itself will go through the slot on the bracket, then you can pop everythign loose. This can be more difficult if you have the braided stainless cables, but it will still work.

As far as replacing the "C" clip, they do get bent, but I've ever replaced one and never had a problem.

Harris

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I'm a tech, and I've seen a few bikes where you can't get the lever off with just loosening the adjuster. However, you do NOT need to take off the case cover and mess with that.

Instead, remove the clutch adjustment cover on the primary, and loosen the adjuster there per the service manual. Backing off that adjustment will always give you enough slack to remove the lever, and you don't have to drain any fluids or anything. All you'll need is a new cover gasket.

·
You're an evildoer.
559 Posts
One of the best tools you can get is a spring clip remover/installer. If you can, get a reversible one for Internal/External type clips.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
I've found that if you leave the cable adjuster at its normal position (i.e. not collapsed), you'll have an easier time holding the cable sheath and pulling it away from the bracket since it gives you cable to work with. Try squeezing the clutch lever all the way in, grab the cable near the bracket and slowly let out the lever but pull back on the cable to get the shoulder to move away from the bracket. Keep a strong backward force on the cable as you release the lever so you don't let the cable slip in the sheath and you should be able to get the shoulder/cable far enough away from the bracket to let you slip the cable out of the slot in the bracket.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
tibs said:
One of the best tools you can get is a spring clip remover/installer. If you can, get a reversible one for Internal/External type clips.
Tibs,
I thought I was going to go crazy last year when I had to remove the C clip for the ball and ramp assembly in the tranny side cover. The guy at the hardware store laughed when I told him of my struggles, and he sold me the reversible clip tool. What a great tool.

Everyone,
Thanks for the help everyone. My problem was that I wasn't puling back the sheath from the assembly, and coudn't get the clutch lever out. At least I know that it's not as bad a job as I had feared. Today's a beautiful day in Jersey, so I'll be back at it.

Edited: I used your help and got both levers intalled in 15 minutes. Thanks again!

·
You're an evildoer.
559 Posts
I had the c clip pop off my clutch lever with a pair of small needle nose and fly across the garage (tink tink tink). After looking for 15 minutes it was off the to hardware store to get a new one. Wife looks down at a case of caulk and says is that it? Sure enough, it was on top of a tube of caulk.

I still went out and bought the tool, because I was replacing a broken cable. Was I happy when I got inside the tranny case and found the internal clip and spending the extra money on something I doubted I would ever need.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts