V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Swapping the cam plate & bearings in my 06 RK, figured I'd throw some new lifters and adjustable rods while I was in there. Bought an open box of 18538-99B lifters from an old timer for $30 - can't resist a deal. There are no part numbers on the lifters themselves, so I'm wondering if anyone knows if there are any distinguishing characteristics or marks on B lifters. Of course now I'm thinking - after the fact - that he box says 99B, but I really have no idea if what's in that box are the real deal or made by Mattel. Appreciate any insight.

·
Premium Member
4,422 Posts
I love a deal too. But sometimes you're way better off paying for dependable, quality products. Shopping for cam chest, any internal engine product for that matter, is one of those times.
As a close friend says, "you can't afford to buy the cheapest product"

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
cutting corners,,, on any internal engine component is a guaranteed recipe for disaster..
buy known good products,, and insure a long healthy life of the engine...
dont worry so much about the hydraulic end of a lifter,,, if it fails the engine will not suffer much damage,,, worry about the roller end,, a failure here,, will set you back alot..

how many of you have seen a cheap bearing destroy an engine... I have on multiple occasions... a $7 half complement inner cam bearing causes damage to $1000's of dollars in components,,, where as a $10 full complement bearing may well outlive you..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As a close friend says, "you can't afford to buy the cheapest product"
Agreed, there are a few things that's ok to cheap out - someone else's kids birthday present, anniversary cards, etc - and things you don't like engine parts.

how many of you have seen a cheap bearing destroy an engine...
Very true, that's why I reached out to see if anyone could help verify what I had before I put them in.
I'm probably going with those S&S or Fueling lifters I was originally considering before I threw away $30 on a box with a label on it. In my defense though, the gent's hilarious back-in-the-day stories were probably worth the price I paid anyway.:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
I have been using fueling for years, l have been happy with them.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts