V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the HD alarm system with siren easily be disarmed by a thief? Can an informed thief cut the wires & then haul the bike away?

thanks,
Mike

H

·
0 Posts
No. The factory alarm system, when armed, makes the motorcycle absolutely impossible to steal. :)

Actually the siren has its own internal battery, so if the wires to it were cut it would go off. However, if the thief were going to haul it off anyhow, he would likely be ready to work fast enough that he wouldn't mind hauling it with the siren sounding. After all, who even looks up when they hear an alarm goinng off anymore?

Harris

·
Tx Road Hog
78 Posts
My understanding is that any tampering with the security system or siren shuts down the electronics and disables the bike from being started. Of course, it could still be physically transported with siren howling.
99% of the time I am riding, I am either within hearing distance of my bike, or it is parked amongst a group of other bikers.
I would like to know (if you don't mind me tagging on) if anyone has ever had a bike stolen with HD security system activated.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I just recently added the smart siren II and the pager also. At least now I feel better knowing that if someone messes with my bike I will be paged. Maybe I can get outside quicker than they can steal it, who knows but at least I have a little more peace of mind. Mike

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
I'll bet you a dollar I can get your bike with the alarm on. Here's how I could do a bagger. Pull the seat. Pull the turnsignal/alarm module. Replace it with a stock turnsignal module. Load it in my truck. Buh-BYE! I'm not familiar with the locations on FX's or Softtails, but the theory is sound. Assuming the saddle bag is locked, bust it. I want your bike not the bag. Yes I can! I tried it on my bike, and the alarm was set to #4 sensitivity.
And what about the guys and gals without the siren? You think anyone cares about a scooter in the back of a truck blinking? NOPE!!

Bottom line? Lock it. Alarm it. Cable it to something BIG. Keep it visable. Check on it from time to time. INSURE IT!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I use to instal home and business alrms. They are detourants, if they want it bad enough they'll take it. But if there's 2 bikes sitting together and one has an alarm and one doesn't, which one is going to be taken.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I could be way wrong, but I've always figured if somebody wants your bike and they know what they are doing, they are going to get it. Cut the battery cable and roll it in a U-Haul....gone in 30 seconds!

All you can really do it lock it, alarm it and watch it like Geezer-Glide said!

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
Geezer-Glide said:
I'll bet you a dollar I can get your bike with the alarm on. Here's how I could do a bagger. Pull the seat. Pull the turnsignal/alarm module. Replace it with a stock turnsignal module. Load it in my truck. Buh-BYE! .........
Ya beat me to it here Geezer.... I was going to say the same thing about pulling the seat and replacing the TSSM. Matter of fact I recently read about some fellows being pulled over and they had several TSSM's with them. The story went on to say that they had obtained them from a HD dealership's trash...throw aways. Hu-m-m-m-m-m!!! Now I wonder what they were going to do with those??

o~\o

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
There are devices, used in Europe by thiefs groups, that "learn" codes from remote controls.

You press the remote control and the system learns the code and is capable to repeat it. With that devices they rob cars like Mercedes, Porsche or Toyota.

Yes, the thiefs can disable the alarm system.

Pepe
Dyna FXDXI 2004

·
?????
3,531 Posts
Geezer-Glide said:
I'll bet you a dollar I can get your bike with the alarm on. Here's how I could do a bagger. Pull the seat. Pull the turnsignal/alarm module. Replace it with a stock turnsignal module. Load it in my truck. Buh-BYE! Bottom line? Lock it. Alarm it. Cable it to something BIG. Keep it visable. Check on it from time to time. INSURE IT!!!!!!!
Sure would work, just takes time. By the time someone notices a person breaking the saddle bag lock, taking the screw out of the seat, removing the seat, and then hoping that somone didn't zip-tie things up real neat and tight. You hit the nail on the head about Insure it and check on it, might add park it in a high traffic area. Crooks want the quick grab in a low profile area, if it takes more than 60 seconds most crooks will pass.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info. I think I'll go with the security system. It does appear that the system would make theft materially harder - that's all I'm after. I just didn't want to waste the money if all the theives knew an easy way to disarm.

I always insure my bikes for at least theft, but my main concern is ruining a vacation by having the bike stolen on day 2 of a 14 day trip.

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
I installed the HD security system on my Road KIng and believe me it will not be easy to remove the TSSM unit. It is buried behind the ecm module under the seat. In order to get to it you have to remove a saddle bag, the seat, the right decorative triangle cover, the ECM module, the ecm module mounting bracket then on to the TSSM which has 4 screws holding it in place. According to the manual accompanying the kit if any ignition wiires are tampered with, it will scream like a banshee. This includes the battery cables. When armed, it disables the computer and only the TSSM can reenable it. So just discarding the tssm will not get the bike going.

Agreed that if there is a will, there is a way. Determined thiefs are,.. well determined.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
At least you can tell your insurance agent that all possible steps to keep it yours were taken. Now, who's with me? I'm forming up a posse to track down bike thiefs, dis-embowel them, cut off their genitals, tattoo "I'm a ***" on their foreheads, and really mess up their weekend!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Phattexas said:
I don't care what kind of alarm you put on it if someone wants it they'll get it.

Agreed, but I'd like mine not to be their first choice.

Insurance is a must, but the theft would still ruin a vacation even if there was no monetary loss & I'm equally concerned about enjoying the time off.

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
BUT, would they get to keep it?

Phattexas said:
I don't care what kind of alarm you put on it if someone wants it they'll get it.
That type of reply is like the smokers "well, you got to die from something" huh? well, just step in front of the next bus why don't you?

Anyway, I digress from topic, if I lived in the great & wonderful USA, I would certainly be doing all I could to prevent theft of my property & make use a service like this to aid in the recovery.

Wouldn't this be described a form of insurance?

LoJack’s First Motorcycle Recovery! http://www.lojack.com/vehicle-recovery-case-files/index.cfm?caseFileGroup=MOTORCYCLE&item=35

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
According to a friend of mine, who is a retired police office from CA, recovering vehicles with the Lojack option is a very low priority. Too many higher priorities with limited resources. They would like to, and as their ads indicate, have the technology, just not the manpower.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Speed Channel's Two Wheel Tuesday recently did a piece in which they interviewed a current bike thief. The guy said he doesn't worry about locks or any other security devices. He and three friends simply pick up a bike, put it in a van and drive away. While they're working, someone in their group runs interference away from the scene of the crime to distract police and residents. Once they get a bike in their van, they disable LoJack or other such devices.

The thief they interviewed said the easiest targets are bikes in apartment complexes and bikes parked in dark areas of motels. He also said they prefer sportbikes because they're easy to sell.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
In Europe, the alarm is provided with every stock Harley now.

Problem is that most of the owners do not change the default factory code....

Entering the code with the turn signal indicators is very easy (once you understand how it works :dunno: ). So I would not rely on the TSSM only.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts