My brother is looking to get his first Harley. He has spotted the
1200N and has it in his sights.. Any input, problems, recurring
issues like the timing chain shoes in the TC??:spank:

Merci-

Boomr04

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
Very sharp looking bike IMO. I do think that it may be a little over priced but that is relative I guess. I haven't heard of any problems...the EVO Sportster motor has been around a while and it seems to be pretty bulletproof. They seem to be holding their value better than the other Sportsters but thats probably because of availability...they sell as fast as they get them in here.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Sportys are gear driven cams so no worries with cam chain tensioners. I can't see any reason to shy away from that bike. If it's used, as long as it's been properly maintained and not abused, go for it.

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
Boomr04 said:
Bonjour,

My brother is looking to get his first Harley. He has spotted the
1200N and has it in his sights.. Any input, problems, recurring
issues like the timing chain shoes in the TC??:spank:

Merci-

Boomr04
The Nightster is a sweet looking bike and the Evo engine is a well proven platform. Tell him to go for it.

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
Another thumbs up for the Nightster. I think it's the best looking Sporty in the line. As for mechanical reliability, the Evo is great. I've never had one lick of trouble with mine. First thing I would do with the Nightster, though, would be to add forward controls. But that's just me.

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
MadCity said:
First thing I would do with the Nightster, though, would be to add forward controls. But that's just me.
I thought the same thing but i'm actually starting to like the mid controls on my new (used) Sporty. It's easier to ride aggressive with mid controls. Also, If you have the highway bars installed with the mids then you have two different leg/foot positions. I guess you could install crash bars w/highway pegs with the forwards, but i don't like the look on a Sporty.

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
check xl-forum.net and www.craigslist.org

a local guy sold his N very cheap on craigslist

the xl-forum.net just raves about how good these bikes are.

yes, fwd controls. the mid controls on my wifes 883 Low make my legs cramp if i try to ride much farther than the dealership.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, keep the input coming. I have sent him the link and after reading what you had to say he believes this is it.. Good Grief!! I guess your first Harley is something you never forget.. Like your first.......

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is one on Cragslist for $10500.00 in Yuma, weather holds and that would be a nice ride.. Maybe I need to pick it up for him..

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
I read someplace about a guy that bought one and was caught in the rain and because of the small fenders was quickly water logged.

That's all I remember about it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I did a HD demo ride on the Sportster Nightster a couple weeks ago at Biketoberfest (Daytona). My hands were numb by the time I got through with the 15 minute ride due to handlebar vibration. The rubber motor mounts seem to not work nearly as well as on the Twin Cam bikes. It is a sharp looking bike, but in my opinion the Dyna line is much better. I'd get a Dyna Superglide instead, not much more money and you get a 96" Twin Cam motor and a much more refined ride. Just my opinion:gun:

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
Originally posted by OldBoy99
My hands were numb by the time I got through with the 15-minute ride due to handlebar vibration. The rubber motor mounts seem to not work nearly as well as on the Twin Cam bikes.
I've never ridden a Sporty with a rubber-mounted motor, so I won't dispute what you say. I just find it curious that one rubber-mounted Sporty would vibrate more than another. Hell, a 15-minute ride on my rigid-mounted Sportster doesn't make my hands numb. It does start to happen on longer rides, though.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I do 200 miles just fickin around with my pals on my '05 XLC 1200 and my hands don't even tingle from the vibration. Around 65 mph the handlebars buzz a little but smooth right out after 70 mph and becomes even smoother above 80 mph. Excessive vibes are probably from loose bolts on the isolators. Wouldn't be the first time. One guy on the XL Forum rid his for 1,000 miles without any intake manifold bolts straight from the MoFoCo's factory. (His complaint was excessive heat) Several members have found loose bolts on the isolators and their complaint was excessive vibes.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Maybe the demo bike had screwed up motor mounts or I was riding in a bad RPM range, I don't know? My point is that I would test ride (or even better, rent for a day) a new Sportster and a Dyna (I like the basic Superglide) before buying. Money well spent IMO, if in the end you get the perfect bike for you. Peace:chopper:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts