V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last year, I was very excited to install an HB 125 in my dyna. Even wrote an in-depth report on the installation.

I have now come to the conlusion that perhaps it was not a wise thing to install.

I opened the inspection cover to refill the primary during my oil change today, and found the HB 125 shoe broken into three pieces, and the primary chain riding directly on the hydraulic ram. Once of the pieces had been tumbling around in the primary case, as you can see the corners are all worn off, it had evidently been tumbling in there for quite some time.

I do not know if this has happened to anyone else, it could be just me. I'm suggesting you all take a look at your HB 125 at the next available opportunity. I'm rather lucky one of those chunks of plastic didn't get wedged in the chain on the 200mile ride i took today.

There was no unusual noices, no performance loss, no indications there had been a problem. It was sheer luck i had decided to check the wear on the shoe.

I will be contacting the manufacturer as soon as i can to see what they have to say on this.

·
Pimp Daddy
386 Posts
How many miles were on the tensioner? That sucks man, thanks for the heads up.

·
Premium Member
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had about 8000 or 9000 miles on the tensioner. I seem to recall putting it on right after my first 5000 mile service. About year ago, give ot take, i'd have to really dig to find my install post i made.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Ijust got out of the crapper, where I was reading the instructions to install.

·
Premium Member
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really? I think the sears catalog would be more appropriate reading material, as the instructions i recieved were actually quite clear and compete. My install was just find and dandy, but longevity seems very suspect. And yes, i installed precisely according to the instructions...

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Do you have any engine mods?

·
Premium Member
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yes. My engine is modified in the following format:

SE 211 Cams
SE 2 Slip-ons
SE intake
SE Clutch Spring
SE Ignition
Baisley Spring

I'm pushing 89 HP and 86 ftlbs torque, so i have no monster machine..the HB 125 is supposed to be rated to 120 hp...

And yes, i do flog my hog...and i have alot of fun doing it. I'm not intending to call this a bad product at all, I'm just highlighting the failure I had, and suggest that people take a look at thiers.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
I've got about 2,500 on mine and I just serviced my primary a couple weeks ago. Everything looked good at that point. Although I'm sorry that this happened to you, and I glad you brought it to our attention, I'm hoping it was just a bad bunch of shoes.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Pics a bit blurry. But the shoe looks fairly thick. Had it worn much?

·
Premium Member
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Its really hard to say what the wear was, as I could not see what was "normal" wear, and what was caused during the "broken" period. I think it had been broken for quite a while. The last time i looked at it, (about 6k miles ago) the wear looked fine...the shoe is actually qute thick, about 1/4 inch when new.

I'm very saddened by this, i really liked this product. This one is totaly shot, so i could not reinstall it if i got a new shoe, and i'm still debating myself if I would reinstall it if Southern Oregon Hot Bikes gave me a new one.

It all boils down to this: ANY tensioner shoe is a wear item and subject to failure. Just keep an eye on your maintenance, and try to head this stuff off early, before something locks up and tosses you in a ditch...

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
I'd be very interested in what Hayden has to say about this. I run their earlier model in my '96 Dyna and the outter tension spring broke. I called them and they jumped thru hoops getting me a complete set (inner and outter springs) and to make sure I was happy.

I now have the HB125 in my '02 Ultra and with maybe 3,000 miles on it...am going to pull the inspection cover tomorrow.

I understand your reluctancy to re-installing but I'm a firm believer in their Hayden products and think being me, I'd put another back in.-2$en#e-

o~\o

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
I do not run one of these, but I have to ask, how often do you change your primary oil. Since I do not run a self adjusting chain tensioner, I always open the inspection cover when I do an oil change. I get to inspect the shoe, tighten the chain, if necessary, and put in the new oil. I never take off the clutch cover, derby cover, unless the clutch needs adjusting. There is no need to see the oil on the clutch hub as shown in the manual, just measure the oil, dump it in and button it up.
My method allows for inspection of the wear components at each oil change and would be a good idea even with one of these devices. If the clutch has worn, you know from the lever feel, and know when to remove that cover.
I did use a M6 for a while, but it caused my chain to hit the inside of my primary cover. I do not see how a spring loaded tensioner can hold the chain tight during hard high RPM downshifts, to use engine braking, while riding 2 up and loaded in the mountians. Apparently mine did not and thus the chain slap marks on the inside of my primary.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Texan said:
I'd be very interested in what Hayden has to say about this.
o~\o
Hayden is not the manufacturer of the HB125 , they make the spring loaded tensioner labelled M6 or so. Two different companies. Over at HTT they had a few HB 125 tensioner failures, same thing. SOHO replaced them without a question IIRC. With my limited experience, both tensioner styles are an answer to a question very few have raised. Not really needed and just one more thing that can break. QED

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Over the years I have seen problems with these sort of devices and just have steered clear. I follow the same practice as Littlebear. Serves me well. If I just had to buy one of these devices I would just buy the HD kit and call it good.

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
ViennaHog said:
Hayden is not the manufacturer of the HB125 , they make the spring loaded tensioner labelled M6 or so. ......
O-ooops!! :duh?: My mistake. For some reason I was thinking they made the HB-125 unit also. I have had very good luck with the Hayden M6 units over the years.

LittleBear said:
I did use a M6 for a while, but it caused my chain to hit the inside of my primary cover. I do not see how a spring loaded tensioner can hold the chain tight during hard high RPM downshifts, to use engine braking, while riding 2 up and loaded in the mountians. Apparently mine did not and thus the chain slap marks on the inside of my primary.
Bear, think you made this very comment not too long ago in another discussion about this and I pulled my primary off my LowRider but no chain hit. ??? But doesn't hurt to do a little PM every now and then..

o~\o

·
Banned
871 Posts
I've used these items on several bikes and haven't had any problems yet. Everyone is bound to run into a defective part from time to time. I don't know of any manufacturers who perform 100% quality inspections. It's usually done as a percentage of products shipped (I was a QA inspector for a while). There just isn't enough time or manpower to check everything before it goes out the door. Don't let an occasional failure make you write off the company as undependable. :) These tensioner shoes should be replaced at around 20,000 miles, though. Normal preventative maintenance.....

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
ToddM said:
Don't let an occasional failure make you write off the company as undependable. ..
Absolutely agree. Wouldn't this be a great world of nothing ever broke and you could just ride a bike for 100,000 miles with no maintenance. I've been running the HB-125 for a couple of years now and my shoes shows hardly any wear. In fact, when i replaced the factory adjuster i was impressed with the quality of the HB shoe....seemed harder and more sturdy. Like someone else said earlier...it's a good idea to take a peak at these items once a year just to check for premature wear.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
ToddM said:
I don't know of any manufacturers who perform 100% quality inspections. .....
Cadiliac might. When I worked in a foundry they required every piece to be inspected. Can't say for the rest of vehicle, but if they go that extra mile on the casting, probably don't stop there. But you pay for it to. Cadiliac is the Cadialiac of cars.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts