V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...have any of you ever heard of the HB125 hydraulic primary chain tensioner or used it? I have one ordered that should be in in a day or two. My buddy Boneyard01 just installed one on his Heritage and he is impressed. I had considered the M6 but after a look at this heavy duty tensioner I decided to go with it. It doesn't normally use the shims although under some circumstances it could. The suggested retail is $360 but foghollow.com has them for $69.00. Can't beat the price and I believe it is the best tensioner on the market. Check these links for more information and I will give you some feedback after I install it.

http://www.ec-custom.com.au/video.htm

http://www.foghollow.com/cgi-bin/bargains.pl?fid=1013106946&query=pagenum=8&cgifunction=Search&Bosco%20Bargain=yes&cgifunction=form

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
They have been around for quite a while. In my personal opinion they are the solution to a non existent problem.

If on the other hand you absolutely have to have one of the selfadjusting tensioners, it is a better unit then the M6 as it does adress some of the main drawbacks of that one.

It of course has issues of it's own. While it should be as reliable as a hydraulic lifter or a automotive hydraulic chain tensioner, if it were to pump up it would likely take out the mainshaft bearings. Since you never really inspect it you would never know until it is too late.

The odds of this happening are of course extremely small, but the oil supply for lifters and automotive hydraulic chain tensioners is not contaminated by clutch particles either.

I just like to keep things simple. If there is a issue with the bike that these tensioners can correct the preferred method would be to correct the issue instead of masking it, but that's just me I guess.

They never retailed for anywhere 300 bucks either, the retail used to be a little over a 100, maybe they are selling them at cost.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
For more info check out www.sohotbike.com. this is the company that makes the HB125. My friend has been using one for a long time now and loves it, he says it really improves the shifting. and msrp used to be 125.00 so 69.00 is a very good price.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts