V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I read a number of posts on various HD forums that are less than pleased with the new HD primary tensioner , the main complaint seems to be noise.

·
Banned
202 Posts
Hayden is the original and is made in the US.

The HD one is an over engineered copy to get around copywrite laws and is made in Italy.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Check and adjust as necessary every oil change. Screw the auto tensioners. IMHO.-2$en#e-

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
Tensioners work well while you're accelerating but under decel they release tension and allow the chain to "slap" around in the primary...I've seen a few primary covers chewed on by the use of that product at my local shop. They won't even install 'em!

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
swmnkdinthervr said:
Tensioners work well while you're accelerating but under decel they release tension and allow the chain to "slap" around in the primary...I've seen a few primary covers chewed on by the use of that product at my local shop. They won't even install 'em!
Which ones are you talking about? Harley or Hayden? I've had Hayden's in 6 different bikes and currently have 'em in all three of my bikes and have NEVER seen traces of chain "slap" in any of the primarys. ????? But if you're talking about the Harley unit I don't have any experience with 'em, just looked at 'em at Rapid City this year.

For the life of me, from looking at the physical make up of these, can I see how they would work any different on decel. I have one sitting here on the bench and they're spring loaded to hold pressure against the chain. ????? But I must admit that I'm not rocket scientist or engineer....

OH, BlueDeuce, I highly recommend the Hayden unit.....

o~\o

·
Registered
755 Posts
do a search for "primary tensioner" on the vtf search. some good info there.

i just installed the HB-125. it's supposed to be the better of the 3. only had it in a few days. shifting is smoother...less clunk. when you nail it, the bike goes forward with each shift. don't know how to explain it. i guess the shifts are quicker...with very little space between shifts. jerking is mostly gone while moving slow in first gear. i'm getting a little whine while idling. don't know...maybe i have to adjust a bit.

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
Of course there is really nothing wrong with the stock one but for me it's the Hayden M6 without a doubt. I have about 15k on mine and inspect it when servicing the primary. I've never had a problem. You don't get much simpler and precise than a preloaded spring. Got a tight spot in the chain it compresses slightly, got a loose spot it expands. Every revolution the chain makes, it's tension is kept into check the whole 360 degrees. No tightness, looseness, or slop in parts of the chain like you would run into with the stock tensioner. The Hayden is just much more precise. Definitely a "set it" but not "forget it" accessory. Even though you won't need to adjust it, always give it a peak during your primary service.

IMO, it's a great product. The HD one on the other hand is a self ratcheting mechanism that some here have had problems with. It will apparently over compensates when the chain gets loose by ratcheting up too tight. And then your running a severely tight chain that cannot get any slack which in turn will put a heavy sideload on your trans output shaft bearing and seal. Not to mention accelerating the wear on your tensioner shoe.

Others like the HB125 as well. But my experience is only with the Hayden M6.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I am thinking about getting one. I maintain all my own stuff, so its not that. Its just to me one less thing to worry about. I do alot of touring. I would still plan on opening it up and looking in there.
I have to take the priamry off to fix tranny leak.

Thinking about HB125. Though M6 looks simple. I do worry alittle about spring breaking. But so far no one has commented on that.

·
Registered
769 Posts
swmnkdinthervr said:

Hmmm i havent had that problem ,,,,91 thousand miles on bikes with the M6 type primary chain tension shoes ...not problem one. I have been inside the primary case to check on things ,, ,, they looked fine. I would guess that the real reason dealers dont like them is that it makse those 5k service 200 dollar oil changes just way too easy for a customer to do himself .... while adj the primary isnt that hard ,, alot of customers are more willing to do a drain and fill service .....that M6 is costing them money at the service counter i would think ,,, rat

·
Registered
602 Posts
I had every intention of installing an HB125 but I found a good deal on an M6 so I slapped that in instead. I've got about 11k on it with no problems whatsoever. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts