V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Instead of buying that new Road Glide I've been wanting,I've decided to purchase a BMW 1150 RT. Made in Germany by a company known for persion machinery,and a product that not only runs forever,but the co. stands behind. And ya don't have to put up with the crappy attitude the dealers around here have. I don't have to get on a waiting list for,it runs like a bat outa hell right out of the box, And is a twin cylinder! And you can test ride one before you buy! So because of the crap I had to put up with from the GREEDY dealers,The Harley Barbie making MOCO,and the way you've treated my friend David with this forum stealing adventure,you've lost a customer. And believe me Mr. MOCO,if you get on the BMW or many other sights,you'll see I'm not the only customer you've lost! Why should a loyal customer have to put 2 grand in thier new bike just so it will run like it should? Get off the greed bandwagon or you will be in the same boat as you were in the AMF years!!! No I'm not a new rider,I've been on Harleys since 1968....
And thats my 2 cents! Man you people piss me off!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Ralph said:
you people piss me off!!!!!!!
I'm not gonna say good on ya but I'm not gonna flame ya either.
I'm new to owning a "Harleyhog"; not gonna give it up just yet.
What I am gonna say is Great for standing up for your principles and stuff em!!! .

Living in Europe, We're used to seeing BM's and every kind of other bike ALL over the place, But a Harley? They're all (what few you see)kept in the garage for the odd sunny day! :eek: Cept mine

So sorry folks, DP and the rest of ya, I'll Ride my Hog in the rain an snow, an see if it starts to rust an fall to bits, just like the MOCO's PR Department! :D

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
I'm not giving mine up just yet either, but if I ever do, thats what I'd buy. The BMW R series is neeter than ****.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Ralph Bro, i went round and round with this. I am ready to buy mine now and decided NOt to buy from an "Official" HDealership.

I bought a Harley, but not from THEM. :D

·
Registered
409 Posts
They're all (what few you see)kept in the garage for the odd sunny day! Cept mine
Naaaaahhhh!
Comes rain or comes shine you'll see my Standard rolling onto the Embankment at 8 'o clock in the morning and 8 'o clock in the evening.
Every flippin' day of the bloody week.
Or if you want to see the posers check out the Kings Road on a Saturday morning.
That's ridiculous man!
Up and down that street untill the people is fed up with you!:D

Wherabout in the UK do you ride Harleyhog?

Cheers mate!

P.S.: No Beemers for me untill I am at least 70 years old!:D

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
94c4 said:

P.S.: No Beemers for me untill I am at least 70 years old!:D
Wheres your PM? Anyway click the 'Profile' bit under my post. ;)

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
HARKEYFU(KINGHOG??????????????? :D :D :D

JEEEAASuuussss................... :mad:

·
Registered
81 Posts
jimmy k....

i know i don't "post" much, but i had to on this....you really made me nervious there for a second. i thought you were gonna say that you were gonna go with the BMW too....this place wouldn't have been the same without you.....

good luck with the new Harley...

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I still have mine,and If I do sell it I would more than likely build a big twin. But not from Harley parts. There are too many USA built parts to choose from that are of good quality. The feel,the freindship,the sound,thats all I love. It's the greed that turns me off!!!
Jimmy,more power to ya for not buying from the dealer.
94c4....At 70 the Beemer I'm looking at will scare the hell outa ya!
I will probably not leave this forum to go to a BMW one,well maybe for tech info. I like it here! Thumbs up to the others that still can and do put up with hd's crap. You got heart!!!!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Ralph said:
[B Get off the greed bandwagon or you will be in the same boat as you were in the AMF years!!! [/B]
That will never happen.

I think owning a Harley is almost as much about making something better as everything elese. You'll fine it very hard to do that with your BMW but with a Harley its easy, just cost (as you noted).
One other thing if the bone stock V-Rod tell a story its this. "Hey BMW's I'm so quick try to catch me".

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Hey Ralph, what makes us special is that we ride them despite the $hit we have to put up with.

It doesn't take much to become totally self sufficient.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Ralph, I currently have a 2000 R1100RT. Great bike. You should visit a very good internet site, BMWRT.com. There you you find that most of the BMW's surge like the dickens, due to the fuel injection mapping, I believe. Unlike Harley, BMW not only denies there is a problem, they will void your warranty if you remap the EFI. Many owners minimize the problem with repeated attempts at fine tuning etal, but with little help from BMW. You will also find (on this site) that most dealers are not responsive, nice, good at maintenance or otherwise have good qualities.

However, since BMW offers vitually no aftermarket accessories, you won't have to go there often. Of couse, no one else offers much either since very few people buy them. I hope you like very quiet mufflers, not very many alternatives, and they cost about twice the price of slipons.

Hopefully you will not change your mind about keeping your Beamer since BMW's have extraordinarily poor resale, about 50% in 2-3 years.

I love my RT (but not as much as my Road King), and plan to keep it (since it has no value). It is clearly faster and handles better than my King. ABS is nice, no cruise control sucks (can't get aftermarket cruise either, remember). Maintenenance is higher on the Beamer than on the King, since the valves must be adjusted every 5K. Reliability seems comparable, although in the last 10 years, my two BMWs were the Only bikes which ever left me stranded (elctrical both times). Not one of the 4 Harleys ever needed a tow.

I read many of the comments on this site with interest, paritcularly those which slam the MoCo. BMW is every bit as bad with the added fact that they make motorcycles as a hobby. JMHO

greg

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Nice Post Gbenner!

Yep, it seems only Polaris is giving a damn about Customer Satisifaction with their Victory Motorcycles.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Kags... I was sent a sight thsat had quite a few customized bmw's. They looked good! Anyway,each to their own,and just ride,whatever it is! Oh! A freind that has a 1100S just sent me the eta's on the V-rod,and the 1100,and they were comparable. About 2 0r 3 tenths of a second diff. I like the bike I haave now,but won't buy the new one.(road glide) Maybe in the future but not now. As far as resale,who cares? I'm not buying it to resell,but to ride. And for the surging,I have not been able to find any problem with the 02,or 03's on the boards. So not sure if it is still a problem or not. I may be dissapointed with the bike,and I may not. But I will find out soon enough. I guess I'll just have to see.

Hippo,I know what ya mean. I even thought about a V-rod for a while,but then changed my mind after talking to 2 local dealers. Some new foot pegs,and about 50 bucks of extras and the bike was priced at 21000. (chuckle) The motor looks well built,and really moves down the road,but it's just a sport bike and does not offer much in the way of touring. And (my opinion) the front is ugly!!! Oh well,each to thier own!

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
It's no big deal, you can be reasonably happy with most any decent bike, it just takes a while to get used to it.
The BMW's are great bikes, but they are a different type of bike.

The trick is to match your state of mind at the time with the strenghts of the bike you ride, that's all.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just got in from a nice long ride on the o'l bagger. I think I'll keep her! She ran real ood today,and I guess I'm getting over my MAD! Must have been somthing in the water or somthing. Been on edge all week! But I still want the BMW. I guess theres room for both Harleys and the Beemer in my garage. My O'L would'nt give up her new Super Glide for nothing!,But I get to get the BMW If I just finish painting the living room! LOL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts