V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,345 Posts
What are you replacing with this? Or are you adding something? I notice everything is warrantied for 1 year. If you do install it, please post an update on how you like it.....
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Krayven Sumhead said:
What are you replacing with this? Or are you adding something? I notice everything is warrantied for 1 year. If you do install it, please post an update on how you like it.....

I will be adding this to a 05 SEEG, removing the stock speakers and adding Hawg Wired speakers and amps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,345 Posts
Dirty Jim said:
I will be adding this to a 05 SEEG, removing the stock speakers and adding Hawg Wired speakers and amps.
Since you have the old audio system, you should do a search on HOGTUNE speakers. You won't need any external amp. Lot less $ also. And a 25 year warranty. Do the '05's SEEG only have two speakers? When I'm camping , I fade out the rear speakers cuz they are covered with my gear. I still hear my tunes as just as well with only the front speakers playing. At least 3 times as loud as the stock speakers.
EDIT: If you do decide to remove the older stereo and want to sell it, I have a pal who might be interested..........He's got a Standard EG and is looking for some tunes...Uh oh....I noticed you said you were just gonna replace the speakers....Well...if anyone reads this and wants to unload their 2003, 2004 H-D stereo unit please contact moi.....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
29 Posts
Krayven Sumhead said:
Since you have the old audio system, you should do a search on HOGTUNE speakers. You won't need any external amp. Lot less $ also. And a 25 year warranty. Do the '05's SEEG only have two speakers? When I'm camping , I fade out the rear speakers cuz they are covered with my gear. I still hear my tunes as just as well with only the front speakers playing. At least 3 times as loud as the stock speakers.
EDIT: If you do decide to remove the older stereo and want to sell it, I have a pal who might be interested..........He's got a Standard EG and is looking for some tunes...Uh oh....I noticed you said you were just gonna replace the speakers....Well...if anyone reads this and wants to unload their 2003, 2004 H-D stereo unit please contact moi.....
The Hogtunes speakers are a great product. I had them in my SEEG prior to the Hawg-wired amps and speakers. If you are looking to upgrade just the speakers than the Hog Tunes or Hog Wired speakers are both very good products. If you want a very loud clear system that can be heard with a full faced helmet at 80+ MPH than the Hawg-wired setup is the way to go!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
71 Posts
hd-dude said:
The Hogtunes speakers are a great product. I had them in my SEEG prior to the Hawg-wired amps and speakers. If you are looking to upgrade just the speakers than the Hog Tunes or Hog Wired speakers are both very good products. If you want a very loud clear system that can be heard with a full faced helmet at 80+ MPH than the Hawg-wired setup is the way to go!
I put the full 4 pc. set on my FLHTCUI and love em. I can drown out the sound of my reinharts with the volume on 1/2.
 

·
Yup....paid my $15.00
Joined
·
143 Posts
ditto said:
I put the full 4 pc. set on my FLHTCUI and love em. I can drown out the sound of my reinharts with the volume on 1/2.
Ditto,

Can I ask what makes the Hawg Wired system much better than say a good set of speakers (which I have) a Pioneer head unit (which I have as well) and maybe an amp from Circuit City or Best Buy?

Any differences between those amps and the Hawg Wired set up? I'm looking into this, but can't see spending $600.00 for an amp.

Help me out on this one.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
vrod-NYC said:
Ditto,

Can I ask what makes the Hawg Wired system much better than say a good set of speakers (which I have) a Pioneer head unit (which I have as well) and maybe an amp from Circuit City or Best Buy?

Any differences between those amps and the Hawg Wired set up? I'm looking into this, but can't see spending $600.00 for an amp.

Help me out on this one.
I'm not a expert but you need digital amps for low amps draw and you can put these in the batwing with out worry of them heating up.

I will have mine Friday :clap:



What makes our amplifiers different from the rest?

It's what's on the inside that counts, so we chose the best in digital amplifier technology the industry has to offer; Tripath Technology.

Quoted from Tripath Technologies' website:
"Class-T® digital amplifiers provide the audio fidelity of traditional linear (Class-A/B) amplifiers with more than twice the power efficiency of these devices. This leads to higher levels of integration and smaller packages at the semiconductor level. At the system level, these advantages reduce the size of power supplies and heat sinks and significantly reduce the heat management challenges of today's dense, complex electronic systems. While pulse width modulated (PWM) switching amplifiers (Class-D) can also achieve similar power advantages, none have been able to do so without a significant compromise in audio fidelity. Hence Tripath's new designation, the Class-T® digital amplifier the new standard in audio performance and power efficiency."

Class-T® digital power amplifiers are both highly efficient and sonically pure. Utilizing this technology, we've designed our audio amplifiers to produce high powered output, while consuming less power from your motorcycles 12 volt system. The result is undeniable; Pure raw clean sound without the dead battery.


Audiophile design in the motorcycle world
The Hawg Wired design cycle, literally.

We wouldn't dream of trying to sell you something we wouldn't use on our own bikes. And that means we spend a lot of time building, wiring, testing, and riding our products into the ground. Now, no one gets excited about tearing apart a perfectly functional bike and hacking into your factory wiring, right? If it's not broken, don't fix it (sorry Paul).
After much trial and error, we've gotten this stuff nailed down. Our wiring kits aren't just bundles of wires, they're complete and thorough from the power and ground connections to the RCA cables. Our speakers and grills have been designed specifically to fit fairings, not just your run-of-the-mill car stereo speakers. Even our head unit adapters come with the factory Harley Davidson® wiring harness connector, making it truly plug and play.


 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
29 Posts
vrod-NYC said:
Ditto,

Can I ask what makes the Hawg Wired system much better than say a good set of speakers (which I have) a Pioneer head unit (which I have as well) and maybe an amp from Circuit City or Best Buy?

Any differences between those amps and the Hawg Wired set up? I'm looking into this, but can't see spending $600.00 for an amp.

Help me out on this one.
Car amps are made for cars, without regaurd to heat, current draw, or space. The Hawg-wired system is designed to fit into the fairing of the electra glides and road glides, has little to now heat produced and very low current draw.
 

·
Yup....paid my $15.00
Joined
·
143 Posts
Ok, that makes sense about the heat and the draw.

How do they sound?? I need someone to give me some "real feel" on these things.

I have an 06 Road Glide with a short wind deflector and a new Pioneer Head Unit.

Also have Thunder Header 2 into 1 pipes. Under 55 MPH, I can hear it fine. But over 60 MPH, I can barely hear it with out distortion.

Help
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
29 Posts
vrod-NYC said:
Ok, that makes sense about the heat and the draw.

How do they sound?? I need someone to give me some "real feel" on these things.

I have an 06 Road Glide with a short wind deflector and a new Pioneer Head Unit.

Also have Thunder Header 2 into 1 pipes. Under 55 MPH, I can hear it fine. But over 60 MPH, I can barely hear it with out distortion.

Help
The real feel on this system is that it plays loud and clear! The volume you get out of this system is incredible without distortion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Hawg wired amps and 150 speaker

Hey Guys,
How does this system work with the new H-K system used on the 2006 flhtcui?
I have the 4 speaker system, with the advanced radio... MOCO amp (if purchased) would fit somewhere under TourPac.... Just wanting to have it ALL!!!.

What about ohm of current radio system????:woohoo:
 

·
Yup....paid my $15.00
Joined
·
143 Posts
Could be wrong, but I believe the OHM's on the new HK Radio is 8 OHMs. You can shoot an email over to Pez at Hog Tunes. He will tell you.

If you are interested in more sound, I know that Pez is working on some new upgraded speakers for the new 06 HK Radios. He was expecting to have these completed by Feb or March 06, but he may be done sooner. Not sure.

Also, you have some a problem hooking up an amp to the new 06 HK Radio. I had one, and I can tell you that the plug on the back of the HD Radio do not look or have the same adapters found on normal head units.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
247 Posts
Patience folks patience. Doing a quick search on the Class T issue I'm finding headunits that already have this feature built in. No need for added external amplifiers. Granted, from what I can find the Sony Class T HU is available only in Japan at the moment, but I sense this should change shortly. Bottom line, you might save a bundle of $$ and time if you just wait a lil bit before opening your wallets. Currently you can get headunits from various other manufacturers with the built in Class T amps, however you would lose the use of your handlebar HU controls. Very shortly Class T will be in just about everything we have, including cellphone and home stereo. I'm willing to bet Sony will have a HU heading to the USA around 2006 with 50-70 watts x4 RMS for near the 300-600 buck range depending on features and the price will drop quickly as it always does on mobile audio products. I noticed all the Sony HUs shown on the Retro page were over 30% higher than other sites selling the same items by the way.



On another note here, SQ (sound quality) isnt a major concern on a bike running 70 with screaming eagle pipes and a set of 5.25 coaxle speakers. What u need is volume with little distortion. To raise the sound level a noticable level you have to double the amount of power to the speakers. (clean power), OR find a more efficient set of speakers. HogTunes speakers may just be the ticket, I would love to get ahold of a set of specs on em.
Sorry for rambling on here, its late and I think im ODing on coffee. Goodnite.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
29 Posts
Dontdial911 said:
Patience folks patience. Doing a quick search on the Class T issue I'm finding headunits that already have this feature built in. No need for added external amplifiers. Granted, from what I can find the Sony Class T HU is available only in Japan at the moment, but I sense this should change shortly. Bottom line, you might save a bundle of $$ and time if you just wait a lil bit before opening your wallets. Currently you can get headunits from various other manufacturers with the built in Class T amps, however you would lose the use of your handlebar HU controls. Very shortly Class T will be in just about everything we have, including cellphone and home stereo. I'm willing to bet Sony will have a HU heading to the USA around 2006 with 50-70 watts x4 RMS for near the 300-600 buck range depending on features and the price will drop quickly as it always does on mobile audio products. I noticed all the Sony HUs shown on the Retro page were over 30% higher than other sites selling the same items by the way.



On another note here, SQ (sound quality) isnt a major concern on a bike running 70 with screaming eagle pipes and a set of 5.25 coaxle speakers. What u need is volume with little distortion. To raise the sound level a noticable level you have to double the amount of power to the speakers. (clean power), OR find a more efficient set of speakers. HogTunes speakers may just be the ticket, I would love to get ahold of a set of specs on em.
Sorry for rambling on here, its late and I think im ODing on coffee. Goodnite.
Although there may be new head units coming out keep in mind that these units are designed for a car, in a controlled environment. They are not all weather units like the factory HD head units. I'm not saying that the HD units are the best out there but for the most part they are a decent head unit that are designed to be used on a bike. In my opinion the only issue with these units is the lack of good quality sound. The addition of the Hawg-Wired amps takes care of that problem, They do provide high output without distortion.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
29 Posts
vrod-NYC said:
Could be wrong, but I believe the OHM's on the new HK Radio is 8 OHMs. You can shoot an email over to Pez at Hog Tunes. He will tell you.

If you are interested in more sound, I know that Pez is working on some new upgraded speakers for the new 06 HK Radios. He was expecting to have these completed by Feb or March 06, but he may be done sooner. Not sure.

Also, you have some a problem hooking up an amp to the new 06 HK Radio. I had one, and I can tell you that the plug on the back of the HD Radio do not look or have the same adapters found on normal head units.
The output on the new HK radio is 2 ohms. There is no problem using the Hawg-Wired setup on the new radios. The have high level inputs designed to be used with the Harley radios.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
247 Posts
Granted, most aftermarket HUs are designed for the inside of of a car, but there are also marine versions. If you choose to use a non marine speced HU they make an optional flip up cover to keep water from entering the faceplate. Very little rain actually drips behind the fairing on my scooter (surprisingly) so thats not much of an issue. Again a little creativity can solve that if its a problem. Besides, I can buy 3 aftermarket HUs for the price of one sho nuff HD CD player/tuner. Keep in mind I have a tape deck here, not the factory CD player. Thats why my interest in a Sony unit. Looking at the prices of the Hawg Wired system it looks more than a dab pricey. I do custom stereo installation as a bit of a hobby and trust me, there are other options with more bang per buck. I do have a question. On the Hawg Wired website the the amp photo seems to show 3 amps? Or are the 2 small "red' boxes designed to take the speaker level output of the HD and convert it to RCA level output for the single amp? Looking further thru all the products it does seem they have taken out alot of the "custom' work one would need to do using less expensive options. Great idea and I wish I had thought of it first!! :sighs: I could have become rich. :huh:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
29 Posts
Dontdial911 said:
Granted, most aftermarket HUs are designed for the inside of of a car, but there are also marine versions. If you choose to use a non marine speced HU they make an optional flip up cover to keep water from entering the faceplate. Very little rain actually drips behind the fairing on my scooter (surprisingly) so thats not much of an issue. Again a little creativity can solve that if its a problem. Besides, I can buy 3 aftermarket HUs for the price of one sho nuff HD CD player/tuner. Keep in mind I have a tape deck here, not the factory CD player. Thats why my interest in a Sony unit. Looking at the prices of the Hawg Wired system it looks more than a dab pricey. I do custom stereo installation as a bit of a hobby and trust me, there are other options with more bang per buck. I do have a question. On the Hawg Wired website the the amp photo seems to show 3 amps? Or are the 2 small "red' boxes designed to take the speaker level output of the HD and convert it to RCA level output for the single amp? Looking further thru all the products it does seem they have taken out alot of the "custom' work one would need to do using less expensive options. Great idea and I wish I had thought of it first!! :sighs: I could have become rich. :huh:
The main unit is the power supply and dual pre-amps (one high level and one low level) The two smaller units are the amplifiers. These were designed this way so that the would fit into the EG fairing with no mods. Here is a pic from DirtyJim's install
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
247 Posts
Great pic, thanks. Thats a huge power supply. I guess that steps up the voltage to nearer 20 vdc, Class T seems to operate better at or near that voltage. Heckuva ground wire on that too. Looking at the site thats about $700.00 minimum worth of hardware. I look forward to seeing more advances from this Tripath technology. Blaupunkt offered a Class T amp..75x2 that can be had for about 100 bucks but they are hard to find right now and its just about right to sit on top the HU.. Funny thing...they only made em for a few years because kids nowdays want to impress people with huge heat sinks, neon lights, and built in fans.(this amp was plastic). They produced nearly no heat so they didnt need a heatsink or ventilation (great for inside a tourpack or possibly under/over the Headunit). If I an find one of these I might give it a try. Thanks again for the pic and the explanation. Heres a peek at the Blaupunkt amps..Im askin this sites price on these items. Power supply is built in and it has speaker level inputs as well. Could be a good alternative if the ciruit boards can handle the HD vibration. http://www.continentalimports.com/amps.html Happy New Year
(Edited) Checked specs on the above amp. It has a thermal shutoff circuit way too low for use on a bike under the fairing or in the tourpak during summertime. /// O well......ill keep diggin.
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Top