V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all! I am planning a Spring ride this March and I saw in "America's Most Scenic Drive" book the ride from Natchez, MS to Nashville, TN.
I never been to either one of those cities and it sounds like it would be a great ride. Can anyone give me any tips about the ride, road, gas, etc.
Thanks a lot for all the help!
David

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
I live not far from the entrance to the Natchez Trace Parkway. The most scenic part of the roadway I have ever seen is in the Tennesee (near Nashville) part of the road. The thing to remember it is a "Scenic" parkway so you will have to get off of it to get gas and get food. It is also highly policed by the park rangers so watch your speed.

Send me a PM when you are going to be in town. :cheers: There is a great brew house just up the road called Brew House West. Best gumbo in town if you like that kind of food (burgers also etc).

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds great! Thanks, it would be great to make new friends in this trip, specially since I am going solo.
Thanks, I will let you know the dates when I get them straight!
David

G

·
Rode the whole length of it a few years ago. I wish we would have had more time. It is really a great ride.

Harris

·
Registered
507 Posts
Never rode the entire length, but when I was Stationed in Natchez, rode up to Jackson a couple of times. Nice ride, though

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
Watch for deer, turkeys and the park rangers. It's a nice ride if your in no hurry. Speed limit ranges from 45-55mph. Don't know about wayyyyy down south, but up here it is strictly enforced.

Have fun.

·
Registered
428 Posts
440 some odd miles. No commercial traffic, no billboards, very little traffic when OL and I rode it first week of May. WE B&D'ed it along the way, some great spots. As already mentioned, watch for wildlife, esp deer, in the evenings/night. And watch your speed.

G

·
I forgot to mention. You can go to the National Park website to get a lot of great info, or ask them and they'll send you a booklet that covers the points of interest at particular mileposts.

Harris

·
Registered
16 Posts
Natchez Trace

The "TRACE" is a great ride .I did it two years ago down and back.Lots of scenery and places to pullover. Two free campsites. At least one store w/gas.
You can get off at many places if you choose.
Definately get the pkg. from their web site 1st.
In the heat of summer it's about 10 degrees cooler than surounding areas.
JIM

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
I rode the Natchez Trace in 03 (north to south).

It was nice and worth doing once, but "America's Most Scenic Drive" it ain't.

Ditto the comments about watchin' for Johnny Law. ;)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Wife and I rode the Natchez Trace from Nashville to Natchez in '03 while returning home from the HD 100th Anniversary. It was a memorable trip, and one that I would not hesitate to recommend.

Regards,

Bill

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
I did it last year from Tupelo to Natchez. We ran around 58mph, wore skid
lids, and had no trouble with the law. I have heard that it is nicer
on the TN side. Will do it this year.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Lucky me!

Last May I took a week solo bike trip out west. Loved it. This spring I was thinking about going east including Tennessee. This thread has basically clinched those plans. The Parkway is just the ticket for me. I don't need to push the limits of a bike's engineering to have an enjoyable trip. I am too interested in the environment to let it speed on by.:whistle:

·
banal
486 Posts
I found "The Trace" to be the most overrated ride I have ever been on. Trees and foliage cut WAY back from the road, just like an interstate, but with a 50mph speed limit that is strickly enforced. No significant curves or mountains or water. I recall riding along thinking of the historical significance of this road and how I should be enjoying it, until I finally just accepted that I was bored to death. For my money, as far as good tours in the South, I'll take the Cherohala Scenic Skyway (Tellico Plains, TN over the Great Smokey Mountains into North Carolina), scenic NC 129 through the Tail of the Dragon, the Georgia Triangle (Suches, Delonoga, Helen), Tennessee 441 South of Gatlinburg, the Blue Ridge Parkway, and Florida's Forgotten Coast (Mexico Beach East through Apalachicola, Carrabelle Beach and on up to St Teresa) any time. Hope you enjoy it a lot more than I did.

·
TX Hill Country Explorer
893 Posts
I lived not too far from where the Trace went through Ridgeland, MS just north of Jackson for a few years. Thought it was a beautiful road and it would be fun to take a ride from one end to the other.

I second the sage advice to watch your speed. Bored Rangers have nothing better to do than write tickets for minor speed infractions.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts