V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought this might be of some relief or interest to the forum, as it’s already happened to me twice now in the last six years. While servicing your FLH around the top side of your transmission area, have you ever lost small hardware items (screws, washers, ect.) never to be seen again? First time it happened to me I lost a washer which seemingly dropped down the left side of the transmission near the belt drive sprocket. I worried about not finding the washer, knowing that Murphy would dictate that the washer would find its way between the belt and sprocket to do some damage… somewhere far down the road. Well, lost another washer in that same area just this last weekend and after several hours of looking for it, I found where it went! There is a cavity that follows the width and radius in front of the belt drive sprocket; lost hardware can drop down this cavity collecting at the bottom, nearly out of sight. The portion of the cavity where lost hardware can collect is horizontal with the ground and just below the belt drive sprocket. No doubt, lost hardware that finds its way in there just vibrates out and falls harmlessly to the ground.

Hope that’s worth something to anyone else… I know, why am I dropping so much crap in there in the first place?!!;)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Did the same thing and two hours later, equipped with a mirror and flashlight, I found it.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
mlewis said:
No doubt, lost hardware that finds its way in there just vibrates out and falls harmlessly to the ground.

Hope that’s worth something to anyone else… I know, why am I dropping so much crap in there in the first place?!!;)
Thanks for the tip - and remind me not to ride behind you when some of those HARMLESS parts bounce down the highway. :yikes: :D

·
Registered
645 Posts
lol.. thats the HD spare parts compartment. Didnt you read the manual?? ;)

·
Pestilence
2,092 Posts
I was hoping the cigarette lighter would somehow find it's way there....instead it bounced off my boot as it launched from it's socket, did a 3 pt flip then landed in front of a rolling bus wheel.
There was no need to stop... :nope:

·
Registered
434 Posts
Flyer said:
I was hoping the cigarette lighter would somehow find it's way there....instead it bounced off my boot as it launched from it's socket, did a 3 pt flip then landed in front of a rolling bus wheel.
There was no need to stop... :nope:
did that with a pair of sunglasses:duh?:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts