V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am repairing and painting a used tourpak and I want to remove the hinges to do a cleaner job. I've used alot of different pop rivets and mono bolts but never the kind of rivets they have on the hinges. I want to stay with the stock rivets. Has anyone ever used these and what special tool is required if any.
Thanks for the help....
Bud

·
drinker of fine ales
273 Posts
Your local dealer should have them, pretty cheap as I recall. The special rivet tool itself is damn pricey though, over $200.00.I couldn't justify the expense to have it lay in my toolbox.If your only gonna do it this one time just let the stealer install the rivets.

You'll also go through a few drill bits getting the damn things off, tough as hell.

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
The rivets are stainless steel so they don't rust. Best drill bit to use is Cobalt, then Titanium coated. Cobalt bit, a few drops of Rapid Tap cutting oil and drill REAL SLOW. If you heat up the end of the bit it's shot!!!:xhere:

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was looking at some of the different tools for doing these kind of rivets. Has anyone tried making one up out of a heavy duty "C" clamp and putting/making a fitting on the screw end to expand the rivet ? I don't have alot of trust in my local dealer especially after doing all the fiberglass/ paint work on this thing.
I'd rather screw it up myself than pay someone to do it.......
thx. Bud

1 - 4 of 4 Posts