V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,I have a 2004 flhtpi ,bought it this past june.
the bike came with a two up pillow look seat and two up tires (dealer strips of the solo seats and tires before selling) My question is this...... I have a detachable back rest on the bike already,but........ I'd really like to install a detachable king/chopped tour pak for the longer rides.
Has anyone done this ?
I've read that the flip open police bags cause the need for alittle mod in the height of the tour pak,for clearance. anyone come up with a set up for this? or how much clearance is needed for the bag lids to open?
any idea of what parts i'll need to do this project? (part #'s would be nice,lol)
I'd like to keep the detachable back rest as a option when i'm not using the tour pak. looking at some pic's of standard EG's ,it looks as if the police EG's are lacking a mounting point for the rear detachable docking kit (some sort of chrome tubular bracket on both sides of the bike just above the rear of the saddle bags.

well sorry for the hundred questions,new to all this and loving every minute of it, thanks for any help anyone can give,or info on where to find out more about doing this project.

thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
FLHTPI04 said:
Hello,I have a 2004 flhtpi ,bought it this past june.
the bike came with a two up pillow look seat and two up tires (dealer strips of the solo seats and tires before selling) My question is this...... I have a detachable back rest on the bike already,but........ I'd really like to install a detachable king/chopped tour pak for the longer rides.
Has anyone done this ?
I've read that the flip open police bags cause the need for alittle mod in the height of the tour pak,for clearance. anyone come up with a set up for this? or how much clearance is needed for the bag lids to open?
any idea of what parts i'll need to do this project? (part #'s would be nice,lol)
I'd like to keep the detachable back rest as a option when i'm not using the tour pak. looking at some pic's of standard EG's ,it looks as if the police EG's are lacking a mounting point for the rear detachable docking kit (some sort of chrome tubular bracket on both sides of the bike just above the rear of the saddle bags.

well sorry for the hundred questions,new to all this and loving every minute of it, thanks for any help anyone can give,or info on where to find out more about doing this project.

thanks,
Mike

I've got a chopped tour pak on my 99 FLHT. It's a permanent mount though. With police bags, the lids won't open all the way but I've seen a couple of guys that just made spacers to move the tour pak up about 2/3 to 3/4" to let them open. Don't know if any aftermarket outfits make something.

The chrome tubular bracket you're talking about (I think) is part of the mounting kit (HD 53118-98) for the tour pak.

Best thing to do first is find someone with EG with tour pak, either chopped or king, and put one of your police bags on their bike. Just takes a minute or two. That would give you clearance idea, then go from there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Ed,

I figured this was the place to find the info i need, thanks again for your input

mike

·
GP
51 Posts
Tour pack mounting

YOu need to raise the tour pack 3/4" to clear the bags. The easy way to do it (especially if you are going to the detachable setup) is to use the rack that was on the back under the black radio mount. It is the same chrome rack that the EG classic and ultra use to mount the tour pack. Cut it at the front, just use the horseshoe bend, as an extra tube on top of the detachable mount. Go to the hardware store and get plugs for the front holes. If you are going to use the regular mount, go to your dealer, they will probably give you one from the trash, as they throw them away when upgrading customer's bikes to the detachables.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gpowell,
thanks for the advice,sounds like a nice easy way of adding in the space i need for clearance. wish the bike came with the standard rack,but when i bought it,the dealer had already stripped the police stuff off and had installed a brand new two up pillow look seat on the bike. looks like i'll be hunting down one of the bolt on mounts from a ultra,to chop and add on top of my detachable rack,I've seen those plastic end caps for pipe or square tubing,hadnt thought of that,good idea,

thanks,

mike

·
Registered
404 Posts
I went a different route. Just grabbed the air grinder and removed all the rivets holding the brackets and top mount latch for the police bags and replaced them with the standard brackets and latches for the civilian modles. Shot the tops with some fresh black paint and then used a standard tour pac and mounting rack.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts