V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....and did it make any noises?

Some of you may have seen my recent thread about a mystery knocking noise...well this is related to that.

I took the bike to work last night and put some miles on it for the first time since our long weekend getaway. No noise audible at start up or for several miles...but by the end of my 16 mile, one way commute, the knock/rattle was back. I used the throttle lock to keep the revs up and got down on hands and knees trying to pinpoint the noise again and couldn't place it.....

Ok...so this morning I get off work, start the bike up....No noise audible again. This is leading me to believe it has something to do with cold oil/hot oil. Again for most of the ride home, the noise isn't audible at all...but by the end of the run, I can hear it clearly again...So in my driveway, I leave it on fast idle, get back on hands and knees and start pressing my ear to parts of the bike like the horn, primary cover, air cleaner....anything that transmits the vibrations...and everything sounds smooth; but I can still hear the rattle. Then I stuck my head up between the front fender and down tubes and it sure sounds like it may be coming from the oil filter.

Could a bad pressure differential bypass be rattling open and closed inside their causing the noise?...Has anyone heard of anything like that?

This noise is driving me nuts wondering if something is going to blow.

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
No never had that happen. You know the easiest way to rule it out. Change the oil and the filter and then you will know.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Why not just change the filter out and see if that fixes it? Some years back, on the soft tail line at MOCO a series of bikes left with the oil filter lines backwards. It was around 1998 I think. Caused all kinds of problems. You sure you have the right filter? If it says MOCO on it, you have the wrong one-LOL. Good luck. Friday

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts

·
Banned
128 Posts
hotshotfxdl said:
http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63887
You may want to read this I have also noticed that Rev Tech had a filter that said"For use on all except Twin Cam"
In short if think it is related to the oil filter be sure to buy a good one
I probably will add to that thread. K&N has a few typos on their website. Twin cam's have different filters than EVO.

You will see that alot of twin cam oil filters have an "anti drainback" valve(basically a rubber flapper that covers all those holes on the outside portion of the filter)built into the oil filter itself, why don't the EVO's have this? Both filters are mounted horizontally.

I did have a bad oil filter, but it wasnt the differential pressure valve, it was worse, the entire paper filter element was covered is some kind of mfg. glue. It was from a factory HD filter. The counter guy at the HD dealership cut it in half, ended up giving me a refund when the discovery came.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I once purchased a new chrome HD oil filter that was rusted badly around the rubber oring area.
Took it back for exchange. Now I always check that area of the filter before I purchase it.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Stated by MechaGodzilla:
EVO/XL motors send oil to the middle (inside)of the oil filter, and the oil filters towards the outside of the oil filter can then exits.
Not on my ’93. The oil flow is the same as on a Twin Cam Outside to Inside. When I change the oil, I run the motor with fresh oil and no oil filter to flush out the old oil in my motor. The oil flows out the bottom port of the filter mount which feed the outside of the filter.
The reason there are two filters is the micron filtering capability. Since EVO Filter is on the scavenge side, the 10 micron filter was known to cause oil buildup in the crankcase and blowby out the head breathers on EVOs. The 30 micron filter does not cause this problem. I run an S&S billet high flow oil pump so I have never had this issue using the new 10 micron filter.
SeaHag,
Is the filter the new 5 micron filter? If so you could be correct about hearing the relief valve opening and closing. When the motor is cold, the valve is open due to thick oil, no noise, when the oil heats up the valve cycles, noise, because the filter element may be partially clogged. Maybe a bad filter like you think.

·
Banned
128 Posts
LittleBear said:
Not on my ’93. The oil flow is the same as on a Twin Cam Outside to Inside. When I change the oil, I run the motor with fresh oil and no oil filter to flush out the old oil in my motor. The oil flows out the bottom port of the filter mount which feed the outside of the filter.
The reason there are two filters is the micron filtering capability. Since EVO Filter is on the scavenge side, the 10 micron filter was known to cause oil buildup in the crankcase and blowby out the head breathers on EVOs. The 30 micron filter does not cause this problem. I run an S&S billet high flow oil pump so I have never had this issue using the new 10 micron filter.
SeaHag,
Is the filter the new 5 micron filter? If so you could be correct about hearing the relief valve opening and closing. When the motor is cold, the valve is open due to thick oil, no noise, when the oil heats up the valve cycles, noise, because the filter element may be partially clogged. Maybe a bad filter like you think.
Yep, your correct, it does come out the bottom port. For some odd reason I figured it came out the middle port.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The more I think about it the more it makes sense...I changed the oil and the filter a week and three days ago...I know I wouldn't have ridden all summer with this noise, so its a new development.

FYI...It is the new HD 5 micron unit....and it will be getting replaced tommorrow...I don't have time today.

I'll be letting you know if it fixes the noise problem.

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
A little off the subject but I was wondering what setting you are running on that Crane Unit ? I'm running the same unit..........

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hotshotfxdl said:
A little off the subject but I was wondering what setting you are running on that Crane Unit ? I'm running the same unit..........
Multi spark on
initial timing -5
Advance slope 6
6300 rpm limit

My build is in my signature.

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Interesting and thanks for sharing the info I have been running mine at -3 with a slope of 5, multispark on limit @ 6000
I'll have to give your set up a try

I am running:
Big Bore cylinders
HTCC heads
HTCC pistons (10.44 to 1)
HTCC Intake
SE 211 Cam
HRS 45
Crane Ign HI4TC
Thunder Header
94 hp 100tq
Think I may update my signature

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
initially I had tried running a higher initial with a less agressive advance...but all my pinging problems were on the low end; so I switched my thinking to running a lot more retard in the initial advance with a more agressive curve to catch up in the later rpm's. This seems to be working much better, but I made the change in september after the real heat waves of summer had passed....so it'll have to wait till next summer before I know if I've taken care of my ping between 2500-3500.

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
johsch53 said:
I've got to get up to Maine. Our avatars are so close that we must have something in common. Same bikes also.
Cool send me an email lets chat [email protected]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts