V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here first had the Screaming Eagle slip fit exhaust then gone on to install the 16Gauge double barrel exhaust, and if you have, what are your views.

There are plenty of comments on here about both systems, by different folks but there must be someone who has had and tried both and can give real facts on comparison of performance and sound levels etc.,etc.

I get my new '03 next week and have to choose a system. I'm leaning towards the shotgun style as if I keep the original system that will be removed, I always have the option of modifying it and therefore having the option of both styles should I ever change my mind.
Also as regards the SE slipfit it would be kind of annoying to spend a fair amount of money on what is essentially the same system the bike comes from the factory with albeit with a larger hole in the end of it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Creosote,

I have heard the SE slip ons on a friend's bike and they are not substantially different from the stock version - however a bit loader and deeper and the sound is indeed improved (NB these pipes had not been used for more than a couple of kilometers). The 16 gauges (also in fresh, "unburnt" condition) are quite a bit more intense - louder and deeper rumble when idle and a quite aggressive and loud sound when revving. In terms of sound, I would reccomend the 16 gauge any time! In terms of design, I think the bike looks better and more balanced with the 16 gauges, but that is more a question of taste. My 2 cents worth...

·
Registered
725 Posts
Have the same interest...

I can't comment on the SE vs 16 gauge, but did demo a V-Rod the other day with the 16 gauge exhaust. It is loud and agressive, but I'm not sure I would say it was a mellow rumble.

I went by a Honda shop to pick up something and of course people came out to look at the V-Rod. They asked to hear the bike, and they said it sounded just like a VTX. Not a flattering comment in my book. As I rode around there seemed to be a disconnect between the artistic/fluid design of the bike and a loud barky/rappy exhaust. But that's me. I heard a stock V-Rod the other day, and you know, the "whoosh" of the stock exhaust wasn't bad. Seems to fit. I have an '03 on order, due in about a month, and I'm leaning towards the SE exhaust... something between stock and 16 gauge.

Steve

1 - 3 of 3 Posts