·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
You are one worry wart aren't you?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess. I'm hearing the oil consumption problem is still a problem. I guess when you lay out this much jack for a bike you expect it to be flawless.

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
The valve seal fix was on my 06 Ultra which I took delivery of back in Aug. I've since done some engine work and checked the heads to see if I had the old seals or the new ones. No oil consumption at all. Any bike you pick up now should be good to go. BTW the 06 heads flow better than the 02 -05 heads (bonus)! Nothing you buy is going to be perfect. I have a $5K Gibson Les Pual (guitar) and I still had to have some work done on it by a specialized guitar tech to get it set up just right. Just buy the bike and ride...life happens, enjoy the journey;)

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
Dave, have you taken delivery of a bike yet? Man just ride and all those concerns will be forgotten. Relax man it is just a scooter after all.

·
Registered
63 Posts
YOUR HARLEY IS SUPPOSED TO STOP WORRY NOT CREATE IT. My mind goes to CALM before I leave the garage.. Just remember this TWO[2] YEARS UNLIMITED MILES. more if you want it. The MOCO has taken most of the worry away.. If that baby has a problem, they will fix it.. If you want to ride ,they will rent or loan you one while yours in the shop. Let the O L Worry about your Harley. You just RIDE AND ENJOY. LIFE IS SHORT.NOTHING IS PERFECT. and the 20 GRAND WILL BE SPENT BY YOUR OL OR YOUR KIDS IF YOU DON'T ENJOY IT YOURSELF. Now take a Xanax and worry about getting caught with a 20 year old stripper on your 90th birthday. Hopefully you will still have the HARLEY.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
I bought an 06 Road King and had the damn thing back in the shop 6 times. I finally told the dealer to keep the damn thing and either order me another one or give me one off the floor. From oil leaks to the damn thing just shutting down for no reason. It must have been one of those "last bike on Friday" builds. When I finally went back to talk with the owner of the dealership they discovered that the factory had put synthetic air in the tires and rear shocks, the wrong sized muffler bearings in the exhuast, one of the screws on the primary inspection cover was torqued to 13.5 lbs and not 13, the seat had an extra 1/4 inch of padding, and to top it all off, the little **** on the side of the tire were all a different length. I just had them swap me out the 06 for an 05 and I am a happy camper now. Whatever you do, do not buy an 06 RK.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Gee FXDL your luck sounds like mine. My Ole lady had a fit. Not enough vibration in the seat with a rubber mount. She thought rubber meant vibration. So I told her not to ride with me. The trans. was junk,the paint had shine to it ,and before long I wish I would have bought a Hond*. And whats the deal with the key???? Can't they just put a normal key in the dang things.:sucks:

·
FNG
320 Posts
fxdl raw said:
Whatever you do, do not buy an 06 RK.
sorry about your luck... but I would hardly use it as basis to tell people that EVERY SINGLE 06 RK will have problems... you got a bad apple no doubt... but for every person in your boat I'd bet there are 1k people that have no issues at all with there 06 RK.

I got mine... 2k miles so far and the only problem I've had is the fact that Winter came and I had to store it....

buy your 06 RK take it and enjoy it. If you have problems have the dealer fix or replace it....

d.

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
dmize said:
sorry about your luck... but I would hardly use it as basis to tell people that EVERY SINGLE 06 RK will have problems... you got a bad apple no doubt... but for every person in your boat I'd bet there are 1k people that have no issues at all with there 06 RK.

I got mine... 2k miles so far and the only problem I've had is the fact that Winter came and I had to store it....

buy your 06 RK take it and enjoy it. If you have problems have the dealer fix or replace it....

d.
Dmize, can you say sarcasim. read that post again and tell me you really think he is being serious. :roflback: :roflback:

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
. When I finally went back to talk with the owner of the dealership they discovered that the factory had put synthetic air in the tires and rear shocks,
Did you change the air out with HD Natural Air. I read somewhere that the HD Synthetic air has to much Nitrogen. I am using the Amsoil 100% synthetic air. This really makes the tires hold the road better.

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
fxdl raw said:
I bought an 06 Road King and had the damn thing back in the shop 6 times. I finally told the dealer to keep the damn thing and either order me another one or give me one off the floor. From oil leaks to the damn thing just shutting down for no reason. It must have been one of those "last bike on Friday" builds. When I finally went back to talk with the owner of the dealership they discovered that the factory had put synthetic air in the tires and rear shocks, the wrong sized muffler bearings in the exhuast, one of the screws on the primary inspection cover was torqued to 13.5 lbs and not 13, the seat had an extra 1/4 inch of padding, and to top it all off, the little **** on the side of the tire were all a different length. I just had them swap me out the 06 for an 05 and I am a happy camper now. Whatever you do, do not buy an 06 RK.
:roflback: :roflback: :roflback: :roflback: Synthetic air :roflback: :roflback:

You shoulda got Screamin' Eagle air instead, it's lighter and faster. :duh?: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
dmize said:

You've got to be kidding me, are you really that gullible...?????

~John

·
Registered
250 Posts
fxdl raw said:
It must have been one of those "last bike on Friday" builds. When I finally went back to talk with the owner of the dealership they discovered that the factory had put synthetic air in the tires and rear shocks, the wrong sized muffler bearings in the exhuast, one of the screws on the primary inspection cover was torqued to 13.5 lbs and not 13, the seat had an extra 1/4 inch of padding, and to top it all off, the little **** on the side of the tire were all a different length. I just had them swap me out the 06 for an 05 and I am a happy camper now. Whatever you do, do not buy an 06 RK.

FXDL

Thanks! That has to be the best post I've seen on this forum. Really made my day. Keep up the great work!!

Kind of reminds me of when I bought my first big twin in 1990 - a then-new 1991 FXRS-Con. The dealer told me to "bring it back" if I had any problems. Well, ten years and 70 some odd thousand miles later, I thought that I might someday have a problem, so I sold it (for more than I paid for it in 1990) and bought a new bike. I have not had a problem with the replacement (FLHT) in over five years and about 40K miles except that my wife fell in love with it and I had to go buy an '06 Ultra. Guess I have no luck at all with these darn HD products either.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Well be careful with the Ultra too. I had a buddy that reported the fairing on an Ultra created such a windless environment it was like a vacuum behind the windshield. Whenever he hit 56.32 mph it would suck him off the seat and slam his head into the fairing. He now just holds on tight as he passes that speed. He tried placing a 16 inch fan behind the windshield but it blocked his view. Good thing he does not have the 1.21 gigawatts being applied to the spark plugs otherwise he would be sent back in time. Whatever you do, do not go over 56 mph on an Ultra. Strange but true stories from the world of HD.

·
FNG
320 Posts
ok ok he got me... It was late and I was 1/2 asleep. But I was like what the f*ck is synthetic air? After all the posts on the topic I think I only half assed read it. :whistle:

d.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts