V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Re: Octane booster...

Hey Ralph,

I've never run octane booster in my 10.5 to 1 comp. Fat Head but I do know these products form combustion chamber deposits. I have no detonation problems using Mobil premium or Sunoco 94.

Octane boosters are not usually needed so long as you run good gas!

Just my $.02

Mike

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Tried those thingies you drop into the tank and make all sorts of power. Figured that if one makes a couple horses more would be better.
Now the bike is faster then ****, but I can only get 0.2 gallons into the tank.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Oct. Boost.

Ralph,

I think that you will be happy out riding your scooter using a premium grade fuel. There are scores of products out there to use, but I have not found anything that improves the performance of my motor for everyday use that is added to the fuel.

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Fuel additive

Having my own race bike I think I am qualified to talk on this subject. You see we run racing fuel or fuel additives in the race bike. On street bikes alot of guy's run additives or racing fuel cause they FEEL that they are getting more H.P. This is not true. Only run an additive or racing fuel to stop a detonation problem. As soon as you start to run an additive or racing fuel to your bike you have just changed the specific gravity (weight) of the fuel. And guess what, this means that the engine is now burning leaner or richer and now you have to tune for this combo. Racing fuels have a specific gravity between .66 and .74. Racing fuels burn faster, so now you have to feed more to the engine. Also different additives and fuels require igition advance changes for optimum power because of the way the fuel burns. And remember this, an excess octane level is not helpful, due to the way it burns in your engine. If your timing and advance curve is not on the spot and you are pushing to much octane for your engine combo you are not gaining a thing. In my opinion unless you have to run an additive in your fuel for your engine, stay with preminum pump gas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts