V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we talk about a lot of incremental improvements that could be made in these bikes (like better rear lighting for safety) and some known defects (main circuit breaker overheating in older Touring models) and some just plain poor engineering (the "drive by wire" is on bar end, and gets destroyed in a tip over)

but i don't think any thing matters, except the bottom line, and that is profit. how have recent years sales compared to previous years?

even if 07 sales stayed flat, or marginally increased, that is a dramatic indicator, because the 96/6 speed combo should have sold like hotcakes.

have you RODE an 07? I took a buddies stock 07 FXST around the block, REAL quick, good power, i was impressed. i wanted one.

but then, i have been told twice not to buy an 07 by HD salesmen, unless i wanted to put all the stuff ($1500 or so?) on it, before taking it home.
they were tired of getting all the grief from thier customers, they were just being up front & honest.

does everyone remember when Ford posted it largest losses ever, partly due to warranty claims, and that was blamed on poor engine design?

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0510/24/A01-358226.htm
Ford's quality costs have been affected by problems involving the popular 6.0-liter Powerstroke diesel engine, which was introduced in 2003. It powers big trucks such as the Ford F-250 and F-550.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
I have an 07 Streetglide with 6000 miles on it and I can't say it's any hotter than any other bike I have owned.
I rode on several long trips when we had 95 - 100 degree days around here.

I have the under fork air deflector and the adjustable wind deflectors on the fairing and had a 7 inch windshield.

The only thing that bugged me about it was the 5th gear rattle and that has quieted down till I hardly notice it anymore.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
04ctd said:
we talk about a lot of incremental improvements that could be made in these bikes and some just plain poor engineering (the "drive by wire" is on bar end, and gets destroyed in a tip over)

Ford's quality costs have been affected by problems involving the popular 6.0-liter Powerstroke diesel engine, which was introduced in 2003. It powers big trucks such as the Ford F-250 and F-550.
and these things are falling over all of the time...youd think they expect em to be upright under normal use or something....

·
Registered
89 Posts
Having a 07 - What overheating? and I live in the hottest south. But I've read some say they do. But how many out of what have the problem, never seen any real statistics.

As to hitting profits, that's a stretch, as Bill Clinton put it once

"It's the economy....."

·
Registered
415 Posts
george248 said:
welcome back Dirty Jim... it's been real quiet around here lately with you gone :laugh:
I was thinking the same thing "sure reads like a Dirty Jim post to me....."

Hmmmmmmm :wacko:

·
Liker of Mid 60's FLH's
1,208 Posts
A friend of mine from work bought an '07 Street Glide and has had absolutely no heat issues with his stock machine. Go figure? :unsure:

04ctd said:
we talk about a lot of incremental improvements that could be made in these bikes (like better rear lighting for safety) and some known defects (main circuit breaker overheating in older Touring models) and some just plain poor engineering (the "drive by wire" is on bar end, and gets destroyed in a tip over)

but i don't think any thing matters, except the bottom line, and that is profit. how have recent years sales compared to previous years?

even if 07 sales stayed flat, or marginally increased, that is a dramatic indicator, because the 96/6 speed combo should have sold like hotcakes.

have you RODE an 07? I took a buddies stock 07 FXST around the block, REAL quick, good power, i was impressed. i wanted one.

but then, i have been told twice not to buy an 07 by HD salesmen, unless i wanted to put all the stuff ($1500 or so?) on it, before taking it home.
they were tired of getting all the grief from thier customers, they were just being up front & honest.

does everyone remember when Ford posted it largest losses ever, partly due to warranty claims, and that was blamed on poor engine design?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don't know i have a 2007 superglide custom bought it june on fathers day so its 3months old and i ride it hard and long it has 7,400 miles on it after already and no heat issues here.

As for people not buying its been a tough year for some people. But heck in our company where i work 9 people have bought new 2007 harleys this year.

·
Banned
3,710 Posts
MS-rider said:
Having a 07 - What overheating? and I live in the hottest south. But I've read some say they do. But how many out of what have the problem, never seen any real statistics.

As to hitting profits, that's a stretch, as Bill Clinton put it once

"It's the economy....."
:thumbsdn: Bill Clinton, you must have bin reading an issue of playboy:roflback:

·
Registered
844 Posts
I have an '07 Softail, and the heat issues have been brought down to an acceptable level by using Mobil-1 V-Twin oil, and Rush slipons. This set me back less than $300, and I have the added side effect of a smoother running motor, and a nice sounding exhaust. Hell, I'm just guessing that the slipons helped, but it could have just been 25 bucks in good quality synthetic oil that did the trick...

Some people make solutions harder than they really are.:yawn:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts