V-Twin Forum banner

Harley, watches and soul

17K views 158 replies 76 participants last post by  dog155 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

BTW, I like all motorcycles. I like the rockets, cruisers, whatever. All said, I plan on getting a Harley. Not because I'm rich, because I'm not. (Ex took care of that LoL). I'm not a ******* as I was born and raised in Philly. Forget about which bike is better for now. That argument is tiresome.

First let me start out by saying that I have wanted a Harley since I was a kid of 8 years old visiting family in South Dakota. I'm 9 now, but...seriously, I'm 33 but have been in love with the bikes for quite a many years.

Back to my original point, some bikes have soul. Sort of like a nice mechanical watch in a world of quartz. Ever listen to one? For some of the older members, can you even remember the last time you listened to a wind up watch? That, my friends, is soul. I was a collector of mechanical and auto winds for many years. Have had more than I can remember. There is an allure about a ticking watch. Something special. Mechanical watches do not keep time as accurate as quartz. That's not the point. Mechanicals have life. Wind one up and it fires into life. They breathe, they require your input. It needs you on a daily basis. Mechanical watches give in return. Listen to one, you'll get the idea quickly. If you've ever seen a watch's movement at work, it's a work of art. Beauty in motion.

A quartz watch just can't return the same feedback as on old windup can. It is sort of sterile.

Harleys, like it or not, have soul. They require more out of the rider, but give back in spirit. A Harley gives you instant feedback when it's brought to life. It requires more from the rider, but then again, you get to know it better. It speaks to you. It tells you what it needs and rewards back when given. A Harley is also beauty in motion. All may try as they might, but a Harley still looks only like a Harley.

To me, some of the bikes that try to emulate the Harley look are sort of like a quartz watch. Some might ride better, others might require less visits to the shop. This, however, misses the point, to me at least.

I am not a biker type. I don't hang out at bars, I probably wouldn't ride with groups. I don't like black T-shirts. OK, I don't like to shave, but I always hated shaving. I like Harleys for the same reason I collected watches with gears and springs, because I can feel the soul.

There are some beauties out there that do not carry a Harley badge. I admit it. I also don't care what two wheels you have between your legs. Since I didn't buy your bike, I have no say as to what you should get. I know what I like, and that's all that really counts.

Peace,

Ross

See less See more
#6 ·
woodwalkertc88 said:
if your bored sometime get a magnifying glass and look at the back and you can see in tiny little letters where jewelers have signed when they regulated it
Yes, I have done that many times.

I have also wound up all of my watches and sat there in the dark listening to them sing to me.

I know, I'm strange.

Watch movements really are an incredible marvel.

Peace,

Ross

#7 ·

Man, I know where head is at 'at' I think...........
CHILL................

#9 ·
I have a 1955 Bulluva self winding with a really cool radial carved silver face, that my Dad bought his Dad when he visited Korea for our favorite Uncle. When my Grandad past I got the watch, in the original box and bill of sell. Love that watch even more now that Dad is gone too. It ticks, but not as loud as the Harley.
Dan

#11 ·
Hello again

BTW, there are tons of mechanical watches being made today, and not just from Rolex.

Omega, JLC, Brietling, Panerai, Epos, Hamilton, IWC, UN, Patek Philippe, just to name a few, are all making modern mechanical wristwatches today.

When I was collecting, I had watches from all ages. Early 1900s, 20s, 30s 50s, even the blocky 70s watches. I also had a bunch of the new stuff.

It's addicting.

#14 ·
Buzz said:
Its the oldest legible signed jewlers date on the inside of the case. There was another that might have been older just wasn't legible 1920 or 1928, more likely 1928.
Hey Buzz,

Do you have a pic you could send me offline? I would be very intrested in seeing it.

Thanks.

#16 · (Edited)
Buzz said:
You'll have to bear with me and this camera The flash doesn't want to work. It is a Waltham 10K goldfilled with 23848931 stamped inside by the gears. and 9374925 stamped on the back cover
It's hard to tell by the picture, but all it looks like it needs is a good cleaning from a competent watchmaker. It should be good to go. I would also probably try to look for an original dial that was a little cleaner.

It's a nice ol' pocket. I like it.

#18 ·
JetBlueman said:
Ross: Nice prose. You got the soul thing right. But whatsamattayou!...you don't like black t-shirts!? ;)
JetBlueman,

I live in South Florida, and we only have two kinds of hot here. Really hot and God awful, momma please help me,send me to hell hot.

Black don't do well with hot. I also forgot to mention it's as humid as a virgin on prom night here too.

:)

#19 ·
I dig where you're comin' from Ross! Machines are my obsession... Okay next to womens asses! I've made the comparison of air cooled engines to jewelery more times than I can remember. V-Twins to radial air craft engines. They are a true thing of beauty!

I too have a watch fetish of sorts. I collect Seiko autos and kinetics. I just don't feel right with a battery powered timepiece on my wrist.

#20 ·
:cool: That's a great post Ross, really enjoyed.

#22 ·
Maj said:
HD would be happy to sell you one of their non-soulful, quartz watches to go with your new bike!
I noticed that too. I guess no company is perfect. That crap is FUGLY (Any resemblence to a poster named Fugly is purely a matter of the time/space continuum)

#23 · (Edited)
Ross said:
any resemblence to a BOMB named Fugly is purely a matter of the time/space continuum)
Lots of space........:eek:
(stolen from 'Ivor'...).

#24 · (Edited)
supersport said:
I dig where you're comin' from Ross! Machines are my obsession... Okay next to womens asses! I've made the comparison of air cooled engines to jewelery more times than I can remember. V-Twins to radial air craft engines. They are a true thing of beauty!
Hmm, radial aircraft engines things of beauty? Well, I guess in a way they are, just as are those antique pocket watches. They also have something else in common. They are old, antiquated designs! Now don't get me wrong. As Ross posted, they have "soul". But they are also pains in the butt. I know from personal experience (hehe, probably too much experience). I operated Pratt & Whitney 1340-AN1 (600 hp) engines for the first five years of my business. They sound great and look cool, but when one is low, slow and loaded to the gills and you have a jug pop or a mag go cold there are a heck of a lot better places to be. And maintenance? Holy cow. Ten gallons of oil to change every fifty hours. Countless fouled plugs. Cracked exhaust collectors. Continual mag timing issues. Oil, oil everywhere! The list never seems to end. I mean, I love the way they sound, and I love the way they look, but they sure look and sound better when they belong to someone else!

My point is that while it is cool to appreciate what was a monumental feat of engineering in its time it is important to realize that there are better ways of skinning the proverbial cat. Those awesome pocket watches are cool, but if it is imperative that one keep an accurate track of time there are much more reliable means to do so. Same for the radial engine. Radials are okay for pleasure ships, but when I get the call I have to perform. Right then. And radials sometimes have their own ideas about work schedules. Give up my 1000 hp Garrett TPE-331-10 gas turbine and go back to the P&W 1340? Not very freaking likely. My choice of watch? Chase Durer Combat Commander Automatic. Kinda old, very much new. My bike? 2003 V-Rod. Kinda old, very much new. Just the way I like it. :)

#26 ·
Agcatman said:

My point is that while it is cool to appreciate what was a monumental feat of engineering in its time it is important to realize that there are better ways of skinning the proverbial cat. Those awesome pocket watches are cool, but if it is imperative that one keep an accurate track of time there are much more reliable means to do so. Same for the radial engine. Radials are okay for pleasure ships, but when I get the call I have to perform. Right then. And radials sometimes have their own ideas about work schedules. Give up my 1000 hp Garrett TPE-331-10 gas turbine and go back to the P&W 1340? Not very freaking likely. My choice of watch? Chase Durer Combat Commander Automatic. Kinda old, very much new. My bike? 2003 V-Rod. Kinda old, very much new. Just the way I like it. :^)
Agcatman,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the reply,

I understand your point. I know a few pilots that wear the Speedmaster Professional and love them. NASA used and still uses the Speedy pro on missions. Of course, these are redundant and backups to the sophisticated equipment on board, but serve their use. Remember Apollo 13? Plus they are great watches, I loved mine. (no, I'm not a pilot LOL)

Harleys and Mechanical watches just seem to belong together. It just fits somehow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.