V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?topic=701.0

after reading this post i ordered the starcom mike that motorcycle mama said would work. it came with the headset Mic and cord to connect to Zumo. heres how i hooked it up . i already have the Harley headset that came with the ultra and i have the speakers attached to a piece of foam in each ear so it will be closer to my ear. i attached the starcom speakers on the other side of the foam and placed those speakers against the helmet since i want to use the Harley speakers. hooked their mike to my mike with some tie downs for right now. so yes now i have two Mic's but the new one is really slim. went outside hooked up zumo plugged the new Mic cord into zumo and ran my normal asc cord from zumo to the bike, so yes the asc plug with the new system is not plugged in. called the house and the wife said it sounded great. i think it was 54 or 57 bucks plus tax. it came from across the pond so it took over a week to get to my house. i believe if you didn't care about using the Harley radio you could do away with the Harley headset and just use the starcom. any way hope this doesn't sound to confusing, cause i am not the sharpest knife in the drawer but i did stay at a motel 6 last night.

·
Registered
5 Posts
HD headset mic with Zumo

Has anybody looked into using the HD headset mic with the Zumo for phone usage?
It is my thought that if you plugged into the Zumo mic socket and then wired into the HD wiring at the wire going to the PTT button, it should work.
If anybody can tell me why this would not work I sure would like to hear from them.
Mike2hogs

·
Registered
5 Posts
I looked into the Starcom but didn't want the extra hardware attached to my helmet nor did I want the extra cord dangling.
Did you look into just using the HD headset at all (without purchasing the Kennedy product or the Starcom product)?
Mike2hogs

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Has anybody looked into using the HD headset mic with the Zumo for phone usage?
It is my thought that if you plugged into the Zumo mic socket and then wired into the HD wiring at the wire going to the PTT button, it should work.
If anybody can tell me why this would not work I sure would like to hear from them.
Mike2hogs
The wire going to the PTT button does not carry the audio signal from the mic to the intercom/CB, it only opens the circuit. You'd have to go under the fairing and tap into the harness coming from the tank console, and I'm not sure how that would work considering the PTT button has to activate it.

I've got both a Zumo and the HD Bluetooth module, and as much as I'd love to use the Zumo for the phone, it's a real pig to wire. A couple of guys have done it using the Kennedy Technology interface box, but that's pricey at $300 for just the KT box.

J&M has just announced a new bluetooth helmet headset rig with a special profile to integrate with Harley's audio system, but nobody at J&M knows how the hell it's going to work (I called them yesterday and got the metric salute :dunno:). Even the new J&M system will be using some type of bluetooth dongle to integrate itself with the bike's audio, and there's a problem in that Zumo bluetooth outpput is mono, not stereo despite the hardwired output jack being stereo.

Too many mixed technologies for me. I just ran a patch cord to my AUX input to get the XM radio, MP3 player, and GPS directions form the Zumo, and use my HD bluetooth box for the phone.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I've got the Kennedy unit wired into my radio so that I can use the bluetooth phone feature from the Zumo....works fine, but you have to control all volume from the Zumo on the Zumo and all volume from the HD radio from the handlebar control....a bit confusing at first, but I'm totally used to it now....in fact my HD radio stays off and I just listen to XM or MP3's from the Zumo

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the stock HD radio and Zumo 550.

I am using the helmet headset for CB and bluetooth calls. There is a special (low cost) interface that allows you to plug into the 2.5mm jack on the Zumo bike mount (located above the Zumo audio out 3.5mm jack) and allows you to use your helmet headset for both CB and bluetooth.

Simple, clean, inexpensive and crystal clear calls at 70mph!

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts

I am using the helmet headset for CB and bluetooth calls. There is a special (low cost) interface that allows you to plug into the 2.5mm jack on the Zumo bike mount (located above the Zumo audio out 3.5mm jack) and allows you to use your helmet headset for both CB and bluetooth.

Got details? Where is it available? Links?

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
I'm not rying to be a smartass but don't you ride to get away from cell phones, I know I sure do. It's off in the saddle bags and I check for messages at the next stop. Riding is my only time away from the world and i treasure it.
RJ

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Unfortunately for some, they have to be reachable at all times, and so a cell phone does allow them to get out and do things like go riding, as long as they can still be contacted. And that doesnt mean checking the phone at the end of the day. So for those people I can truly understand.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts

I sure would like a link to this interface that you are using. Thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Here are some pictures of the setup on my bike.

I ran the audio out and mike out wires inside the handlebars.
I did the "AUX jack in the back of the HD radio" mod.
I ran the mike out wire inside the bars and under the tank dash to the interface.
The two wire connections on the left go into the handlebars.
The two wire connections on the right connect to the Zumo.

I used the Powerlet Powerbar and 2 1/2" Techmount stem w/quick disconnect.
I installed two Radio Shack 1/8" couplers under the Powerlet Powerbar.
This allows for a quick disconnect of the Zumo and Zumo bike mount. (for safe keeping)

It works with both the bikes radio speakers and/or the headset.
What is amusing is turning on the bikes speakers and playing the phone call so all can hear.
Yes, bluetooth and CB both work with the HD/J&M headset.

I can add a link to a WAV file I made of the Headset/Zumo/bluetooth/interface sound quality if you would like.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Zumo Mount

I really like the mount set-up you have on your bike. I would like to do the same with my Zumo 550 on my Ultra. Would you mind listing the part numbers for the components so that I can order the same set-up? Thanks.

Here are some pictures of the setup on my bike.

I ran the audio out and mike out wires inside the handlebars.
I did the "AUX jack in the back of the HD radio" mod.
I ran the mike out wire inside the bars and under the tank dash to the interface.
The two wire connections on the left go into the handlebars.
The two wire connections on the right connect to the Zumo.

I used the Powerlet Powerbar and 2 1/2" Techmount stem w/quick disconnect.
I installed two Radio Shack 1/8" couplers under the Powerlet Powerbar.
This allows for a quick disconnect of the Zumo and Zumo bike mount. (for safe keeping)

It works with both the bikes radio speakers and/or the headset.
What is amusing is turning on the bikes speakers and playing the phone call so all can hear.
Yes, bluetooth and CB both work with the HD/J&M headset.

I can add a link to a WAV file I made of the Headset/Zumo/bluetooth/interface sound quality if you would like.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I really like the mount set-up you have on your bike. I would like to do the same with my Zumo 550 on my Ultra. Would you mind listing the part numbers for the components so that I can order the same set-up? Thanks.
Here is the original installation thread before I added the Harley/J&M Headset-Zumo-Bluetooth/Interface Cable.

(Yes, I painted my inner fairing since the original install.)

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/touring-motorcycle-family-general-discussions/118389-installed-zumo-550-my-road-glide-2.html#post1298490

·
Registered
203 Posts
Unfortunately for some, they have to be reachable at all times.... So for those people I can truly understand.
I'd buy into that for emergency service people - EMTs, fire fighters, physicians on call, etc.

But for the most part, the real world ain't like that. Most of the people I've seen using all these fancy-schmancy, but oh, so problematic cellphone interfaces are just people like you and me who "think they have to be reachable at all times", but they don't, really. They just want it 'cause they can.

Ever listen in to most of the typical cellphone conversations? Waaaaay too many of 'em aren't essential at all, they're just burning up those "anytime minutes" with drivel like

"Hi, how 'ya doing?" "Oh, I'm doing OK, how're you doing"? "All right. Anything going on?" "Aw, not much, how 'bout you?" "Naw, nothing here either." "Well, I'll let you go." "OK, later." That's your "has to be reachable" typical conversation.

I'm with the other poster - when I ride, I don't want anyone buzzing me on the phone. That's why I have voicemail, which people won't use anyway if all they want to say is, "Hi, what's going on?".

·
Registered
28 Posts
I do not disagree that talking on the phone while driving or riding can be distracting.
How many of us have been cut off by someone not paying attention while they were on the phone?

Yes, one of my favorite helmets stickers is:
Could you drive better if the cell phone was shoved up your a$$?

I have seen riders with their cell phone shoved in their helmet or worse, holding the cell phone with one hand and riding. How many of you have done that?

Many of us have been riding and talking on the CB for years.
How many of you have used a handheld CB mike on your scoot?

When a call comes on the Z there are two buttons that appear on the screen Answer and Ignore. (You gotta love that caller ID)

Some of us have jobs where we are "on call" or we need to be reached in case of emergency etc. Calling back at a later time is not an option.

If a call comes in on the Z you can answer the call and state to the caller "Wait one minute while I pull off the road".

If you must talk on the phone while riding it certainly is best to do it as safely as possible.
Paying attention to the road with BOTH hands on the handlebars. JMHO

·
Registered
479 Posts
Could you give us the detail on the helmet headset and special (low cost) interface? (brand, model, source, etc.)
Thanks

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
yes PLEASE post where you got the interface and the model number...
Is it a J&M or and independent out side source that made it for you?
How about some pics of the actual interface you speak of...
paul

·
Registered
28 Posts
Could you give us the detail on the helmet headset and special (low cost) interface? (brand, model, source, etc.)
Thanks
The helmet headset is your standard pin out Harley headset. The Harley headset works. I personally use a J&M headset. The headset plugs into the center tank dash console. (see earlier post pic 2)

The interface is made by an independent outside source. I have no affiliation. The person that created this interface is a rider. He has made quite a few of these for his fellow riders. I approached him to make one for a Harley. He did. It is pretty small, easy to install and it works!

From what I understand he should be ready for HD type orders in less than a week or two. If you are interested please PM me and I will forward it so they can contact you directly.

Requirements:
Zumo 550 and CB center console headset.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts