V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am considering triking out my 05 Ultra but I'm concerned that for two up touring it will be underpowered. I don't want to spend thousands for performance upgrades that will only help a little..I'd like to hear from someone who has some experience two up on a Harley trike..Were you satisfied with the power or should I try to learn to like a Goldwing? thx

·
03 FLHTCUI
375 Posts
Had my 03 Ultra converted in January 04 and been riding ever since. No performance upgrade except the "stage 1" pipes, A/C and flash. My daughter rides with me ocassionaly and she is normal size (well, maybe a little larger). I do not feel the need to add more power, but that is really subjective. You will probably find you are down one gear more often than you are used to, but it works for me. I think where you might look for a little more power is in "passing" situations. I've never gotten in trouble, but am probably a little more cautious than when riding by myself (might be a concern for her safety?). In the long run - your choice. The weight of the trike and those really big rear tires take some more power to spin up - but I'm happy with mine when riding two up.

Ride Safe.
Walt

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Power is subective. Lots of people say happy with harley, lots of guys add thousand in upgrades.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
I'm fairly familiar with the 1500 cc Goldwing Trikes with various kits. (ca. 1988-2000). They are well-powered and fairly nimble. I thnk a Harley Trike would be OK if it were setup with a 95" kit and a fairly mild cam to maintain good low-speed torque.

I personally would stay away from an 1800 Goldwing for a trike. That motorcycle has been cursed with numerous mechanical issues, not the least of which has been broken frames that are difficult to fix. Triking one of those would probably be OK but Honda would likely not warranty the frame if it were triked. That's one thing you can say about HD's, the frames are generally quite durable.

My favorite Triking Company is Lehman. I think that their units are top-quality. Yes, they are quite expensive, too.

·
Registered
292 Posts
My wife had a 05 Dyna triked (Lehman) this summer. Pretty much the same engine. Maybe a bit lighter frame though. Anyhow, it won't take any medals in a race! But it rides very well, and can keep up with the rest of us just fine. Without any options (100% stock), it tops out at about 80 MPH. In a 35 MPH head wind on the freeway with just me on it (330#), it wouldn't go much more than 70-75. Fast enough, but as I said, not a trophy winner. :whatever:

She's happy with it. That's what counts.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
jkane said:
My wife had a 05 Dyna triked (Lehman) this summer. Pretty much the same engine. Maybe a bit lighter frame though. Anyhow, it won't take any medals in a race! But it rides very well, and can keep up with the rest of us just fine. Without any options (100% stock), it tops out at about 80 MPH. In a 35 MPH head wind on the freeway with just me on it (330#), it wouldn't go much more than 70-75. Fast enough, but as I said, not a trophy winner. :whatever:

She's happy with it. That's what counts.

That performance sounds about right. You've got a lot more drag due to the wider body. Also, there's lots more weight and usually lower gearing. Sounds about right. Sidecar rigs are slower, too.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Can someone verify HD

I'm thinking it was 98 or 99 or when HD came out with the tc88 HD intended to build it with 1550 ci. But the 1550 could not pass Federal EPA regs and HD kept them at 88ci.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Thinking of trike

Hey Lawman:

My wife and I have been looking at converting our 03 Ultra over to a trike for two years. It is now, right now, being converted. I tested numerous trikes over the two year, some here where we live and several out at Sturgis both last year and this past summer. I have found that the Stage I kit is fine. The Ultra weighs in at about 850 pounds, the Lehman Trike weighs in at 1,50 pounds. That is about a 20% increase in weight, significant. However, I have found performance to be fine and in talking with literally hundreds of trike owners I find fuel consumption to eqaul about a 20% lose as well.

If you want anymore info let me know as I said I've been researching big bike trike conversion for about two years.

Sniper

1 - 9 of 9 Posts