V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had brand new tires on my 2016 Heritage Softail when I bought it on 31 July. Got a nail in the back tire dead center in the tire. Opened my tire repair kit and no rubber cement. Harley came and picked it up and I thought cheap fix. They won't patch a tire $230 for new tire installed. Is this Harley policy nation wide?

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
That is pretty much a standard practice for all shops, nationwide. Someone, somewhere had a patch fail or thought a patch would fail and now shops or shop insurance companies will not allow patching.

·
Registered
498 Posts
That is pretty much a standard practice for all shops, nationwide. Someone, somewhere had a patch fail or thought a patch would fail and now shops or shop insurance companies will not allow patching.
Our society has become a nation of "lookin for the freebie gibs"....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On a video I saw an English tire repair kit for L55 that you plug the tire and can ride any speed and leave it till the tire wears out. Why don't we have that?

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
we do,, you just need to do the repair yourself,,,,, a reamer, plug installer and plugs are available as a kit in most any auto parts stores.... it does require some muscle to plug a tire,,, my font have the physical strength,,,

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had that kit but it was missing the rubber cement and I didn't have a pump. Just chafes me I will need to have money set aside as tire emergency fund.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
Good question. I would not patch one anyway . But that is my call. I have patched them may years ago when flat broke. I have plugged one to get to a new tire.
I carry a plug kit and pump have not had to use one in many years.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
I had brand new tires on my 2016 Heritage Softail when I bought it on 31 July. Got a nail in the back tire dead center in the tire. Opened my tire repair kit and no rubber cement. Harley came and picked it up and I thought cheap fix. They won't patch a tire $230 for new tire installed. Is this Harley policy nation wide?
$230 is a good price. I expect to spend, have spent $300+ for a flat while on the road. Plus the tow fees.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Being a Hog member gets you a free tow once a year, but most insurance have roadside assistance. Having spoke wheels means having a tube in the tire and plugging is out. When I was young we all patched tubes They tell me patching the tube is not allowed and I can't see that. When tube tires first came out the standard was if ypu got a nail you pulled it and put in a tube.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
its attorneys that are the problem,,, a properly done plug or internal patch will outlast the tire,, problem is,,, most dont have any idea of how to do so...

·
Registered
43 Posts
I carry plugs, tools to put them in and a way to inflate. I've never had a problem with a plug that I've done myself. No spoke wheels and inner tubes for me.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Patching a tube should be a rather simple roadside fix if you can break the bead to get to the tube. A small compressor is cheap and easy to carry, might need to cut off the plug and put clips to connect to the battery though.
Last tire I installed myself is the last one I will ever do again..... WAY TOO much work

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Last tire I installed myself is the last one I will ever do again..... WAY TOO much work
I'm afraid that I might have to try removing and mounting a new tire because I'm too stupid to listen to others. I do have one of the Harbor freight tire changer things with the motorcycle attachment if I get into real trouble.

I have two wheels waiting for a cleaning, new bearings and spacers that need to go in, and then need new tires and put them on the bike. The wheels have old and bald Shinko in them that will give some practice to removing the tires and let me decide if it is a good idea or not to try and mount them myself.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
I really miss my coats rim clamp,, rotary table tire changer,,, lol it paid for itself,, quickly..

the repair depends on the wheel,, and tube or tubeless... tubeless is easy,, spokes with a tube are a pita.. especially on the roadside..

dealers dont repair tires...

enjoy the tire changes,,, lol. I vote for tubeless as well

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Back in "the day" a roadside flat repair was commonplace. Nobody would think of throwing away a perfectly good tire for a nail puncture. The first one was a challenge! I kept pinching the tube, and had to do it over and over. Probably had 10 patches on that tube, and I ran it till the tire wore out!
But.....I think the newer tires have a MUCH stiffer sidewall than the old ones. Try as I have, I haven't been able to dismount the tires on my latter rides. Maybe I'm weaker? Dunno.

Sent from my coal burning bag phone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts