V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Winter Project

I'm finally beginning to pull the trigger on my winter project.My dyna is an 05 supergide that I traded a BMW for.Going from the Beamer to the superglide was a bit of a shock.
That was about 4 years ago and I've been upgrading my bike to the level I can live with.The upgrades I've already done are.
Racetech gold valve cartridge fork emulaors.
Andrews 37g cams.
Doherty Power Pacc with vents.
Super meg pipe.
Progressive 418 shocks.
Next will be the heads and big bore.Also I'm getting another tank to move the speedo to the tank.I hope I have the money to Do some old school flames?
I'll be posting Pics and updates soon.The harley tax is a mother but I wouldn't go back.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,765 Posts
Which part's the 'tax'? Sounds like any hobby to me... cars, stereos, guns, camping...

Seriously, I understand, but 'bout all hobbies ARE that way. I don't understand why so many HD riders think these bikes reside in a different world than all other machines.

Which aspect was the shock? And what made it worthwhile?

joe

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you've ever ridden a BMW you would understand.The biggest shock was the suspension but I knew what I was getting into when I traded.Harley Tax is just an expression I've read on this forum.This is my fifth harley and my seventeenth bike.Making this bike my own was a factor in getting it and I knew it would be expensive.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,765 Posts
I don't need to ride a Beemer, I DO understand; the 'Harley Tax' is just a specific 'Hobby Tax'. And, believe it or not, I'm not picking on you.

So, personalization is what makes it worthwhile for you? My preference for my FXR is 100% subjective- it just feels right. I felt that way even before I knew the superiority of the frame.

joe

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
i thought the HD parts were expensive, till my wife got a yamaha 950,

it was a new model in 08 or so, and the parts for it are JUST as expensive as HD junk

her windshield was like $350 and $80 for the mount.

there was a guy on here with the signature

"i spent most of the money on hot women, cool bikes and fast cars...and I wasted the rest..."

my FAVORITE saying in the whole world is

"it's expensive to be cool"

just enjoy it, you will be dead sooner than you think.

·
Banned
17,245 Posts
I thought Harley Tax was just exhaust pipe and air cleaner. That's the most economical bang for the buck. Any expense after this will have dollars and performance increase inversely proportional so call it a fun hobby.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I got back on a bike in 2000 I screwed up and got a shovelhead that had alot of problems.It was so frustrating that I ended up with a yamaha roadstar and next a roadstar warrior.I road that bike to daytona and then to sturgis.On the way back from sturgis all I could think about was getting another harley.The warrior was a great bike and what I'm doing to my dyna is trying to get some of the handling and performance of that bike.I guess my harley tax is trying to make my Harley perform like a yamaha.lol

·
Registered
471 Posts
the harley tax to me is how much of a hurry you are in
and how much you are willing to pay especially with
Ebay and the forums we have available.

example, in the past 2 weeks on Ebay i have won a nearly
new road king 3 pocket windshield pouch for my switchback
(yes it is the same) list 109.99 + tax for $33 shipped
a tapered rack list $119.99 + Tax for $71 shipped
also after shopping around i got a deal from Phat performance
for a vance and hines slip on for my switchback for $210.00 shipped
this pipe lists for $299.00 and the cheapest i found it for was $269.

so the deals are out there you just have to shop around

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah,I'm just a lowly carpenter so I have to shop for deals.I just won a Black newly painted Streetbob tank i'm gonna use to get my speedo down to my tank for 180 shipped.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,765 Posts
There's no such thing as a 'lowly' carpenter. Blue Collar rules!

Plus, I heard of a carpenter from a couple of thousand years ago who made it sorta big.

joe

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah,I'm blessed.I get to do trim and custom woodwork in million dollar houses here in Kerrville.Though sometimes I wish I were a bike mechanic.

·
Banned
17,245 Posts
back to the OT,

fast
cheap
reliable.
Pick any two.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I hope mine ends up fast and reliable.The expense is what it is.Getting divorced,unrelated to the bike,and plan on riding to some rallies this year.Does anyone know what I can expect from my set up.
37g cams,doherty power pacc,supertrapp pipe,Ams heads,96inch bigbore and custom map on my power commander.Compression is going to be 9.5 to 1.

·
Banned
17,245 Posts
your set up will give you grins.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I sent my heads and cylinders off to AMS yesterday.Ron at Jack's Cycle Service in Ingram,Texas is doing the work.He showed me my old pistons and you could tell the valve seals had been leaking.Its an 05 know problem.Sorry 05 guys.I'll start getting some pictures up soon when the parts start coming back.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I'll start getting some pictures up soon when the parts start coming back.
How far have you made it in your bike's transformation? Is it too late to see some before, during and after pics?

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My bikes at the shop with no tank and no top end.My Tank was shipped today and my heads and cylinders arrived today at the machine shop.I'll take some pics this weekend and start posting.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Still no pics.Truth is I'm going through a divorce and she got the camera.lol.Good news is for some reason I started thinking I might oughta do my bottom end while I was at it.So,Ron is taking my motor out of the frame tomorrow and I guess I'll build a crate to put it in and send it to Darkhorse.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts