V-Twin Forum banner

Harley sound just changing pipes??

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  supersport 
#1 ·
Can you get the Harley sound just changing the pipes?
or do you have to upgrade the air cleaner and rejet the carb?

Also do SE or Cycle Shack slip- ons go over the stock mufflers
or do you remove the stock mufflers & replace them with slip- ons

I'm still learning

#2 ·
Yes you will get that traditional Harley sound from just an exhaust upgrade but not much if any performance gain. If you decide to opt for a free flow air cleaner you'll realize a significant performance gain but only after rejetting the carb since by supplying the engine with a more efficient air intake you'll be exaserbating the pre-existing lean condition.

The older style SE slip-ons were made by Cycle Shack and both are a great choice. Great sound and good performance.

You must first remove the original mufflers from the headers before installation of the slip-ons.

If you upgrade both the intake and exhaust & rejet you'll realize not only a performance gain but a louder more powerfull sounding engine than with exhaust mods alone. Not to the extent of being obnoxious, but better!

SS

#3 ·
If you change the exhuast you need to either dyno it or check the spark plugs. A rejet maybe in order but not always.. And you don't HAVE to upgrade the air cleaner.

Slips on you take off the stock ones and put on the new ones.

#5 ·
bruuuuce said:
If you change the exhuast you need to either dyno it or check the spark plugs. A rejet maybe in order but not always.. And you don't HAVE to upgrade the air cleaner.

Slips on you take off the stock ones and put on the new ones.
95 FXST said:
You'll need to figure out how to mount a gernerator shovel.

#9 ·
Supersport,
I saw somwhere else on this forum that you are runnin' the Street Sweeper on your bike.
It looks like you have quite a few extra bits and pieces on your bike too.
I do like the look of the Sweepers a lot and I am considering puttin' it on the bike (FXST with SE pipes, airkit and jets).
Do the Sweepers have optional baffles and heat shield or do they come complete already.
My HD dealer doesn't seem to know an awful lot on this other than "yeah we have installed quite a few of these but I couldn't tell whether they have baffles or how loud they are".
Can you shed some light?

Thanks for your help.

#10 ·
94c4,

Yea I'm running Street Sweepers on my FXDX. The models on mine are first generation pipes with no heat shields or baffles. Heat shields are available but baffles are not, due to the turn out/down exits.

I believe the Samson Big Guns II Street Sweepers are available with baffles and have full coverage heat shields incorporated in thier design. If I'd have known of thier existence when I had the engine built, I'd have popped for them instead. The 2 1/4" straight pipes are a bit on the rude side.

I plan to fabricate and install venturi type baffles to get a little more low end whack... Not that it needs it. They've got torque cones in them at the flange which along with proper jetting have all but prevented any blueing. I like the pipes, especially the looks but they're loud as hell... In a good way!

SS

#11 ·
Supersport,

Thank you!
So the Sweepers are very loud eh?
I guess I would not be too popular in the neighborhood with those.
Pity because I liked them a lot.
I am now looking at V&H big shots staggered which seem to have removable baffles.
This should in theory make them not too loud whilst preserving the shortish hot rod look I want.
I'll check with the dealer tomorrow although I suspect the answer will be "yeah we have installed quite a few of these but I couldn't tell whether they have baffles or how loud they are".
Hopefully someone on the Forum will have some experience with this system.

Thanks again and enjoy your ride!

#12 ·
94c4,

Are ya' tryin' to be funny??? "...enjoy your ride!" It was all of 20 degrees farenhiet as a high here today along with flurries! Colder than a well diggers @$$! I did however manage to wander out to the garage with my Cousin to look at all the toys and curse the winter.

Check out Samson's website for the Big Guns II Street Sweepers. I do believe they've got baffles along with 2" headers rather than the 2 1/4" as with mine. The 2" would be a better choice for a milder engine since they'd provide more back pressure and enhance your low end torque. The 2 1/4" would be way big! I heard a stock Duece with the pipes like mine on it and it sounded good! Mine is alot louder because of all the engine mods.

Later

SS

#13 ·
Supersport,

Layer up and go!
I ride year round here as I commute to work so I have had a couple of extreme days.
Riding in snow can be a pretty interesting experience (good fun actually if you don't mind some serious fishtailing on a bike!). I've done a lot of dirt biking in my youth so I guess that helps.

Thanks for the tip on the gauge (2" instead of 2 1/2).
I'll let you know what I chose.

Ciao

#14 ·
94c4,

I used to ride in the winter back in the early '90s. I had a '91 Sporty back then and was alot younger. Anymore I can't see taking something that I've thrown so much money at and sh!tting it up in the road salt. Besides I hate the cold! If I'm not comfortable, I don't enjoy myself. I don't even take my truck out of the garage once the salt hits the roads. Unfortunately the toys won't see the light of day until the Spring rains wash the salt off the roads. I still enjoy going out to the garage and admiring the toys and rubbing on the paint from time to time.

As for the pipes, one of the main reasons that I chose the Street Sweepers was that they turn out and down at the exits therefore keeping the exhaust soot off the back of the bike.

Enjoy shopping for your pipes.

SS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.