V-Twin Forum banner

harley repainting?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  y2kflhr 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I would have to wonder why.

There are just too many local painters than can match the paint perfectly and in most cases do a better job for a lot less money and much much quicker.

just saying.

#3 ·
I went that route a few years back because it was less dinero than the local paint shops were quoting me plus I really wanted their Black Ice color which was/is proprietary. I wanted the Black Ice with a pearl clear coat which I envisioned would look very sweet. After being told it would be approximately four weeks I received my tins back nine weeks later. The pearl clear coat was basically a deep purple overcoating that completely covered up the black and had several runs in it. There was even one run right over the Bar & Shield logo that jumped right out at ya. How that could have ever passed any kind of inspection is beyond me. Even my dealer was flabbergasted over how horrible the job was.

So back to HD Color Shop and another four weeks. Freakin' HD said they'd only redo the tank for free but wanted more money for the fenders. I was furious as was my dealer. We went back and forth with them but HD held out so my dealer swallowed the extra charges and didn't ask me to pay anymore. Gotta give them kudos for that one, they did right by me.

Finally got the tins back with just the Black Ice paint as HD refused to redo the clear coat with any tinting at all. So after thirteen weeks I got my tins back not painted how I wanted them and having gone through a lot of BS.

Guess what my recommendation is.........:nope:

Oh, this year I replaced my front fender with a Yaffee and the local PPG folks tried twice to match that color with their computer and never did get it right. So go with an easily accessed color from PPG or House of Colors. I'm sure folks here know way more about this than me.

Good Luck,
YMMV

#4 ·
thanks thats what I was looking to hear, my bike is plain ole vivid black, just looking a little tired these days, I was thinking of freshing up the paint over the winter and heard about that program, looks like the local guy will be redoing some parts.

thanks again for the feed back

#6 ·
paint suggestion

If I could make a suggestion....

House of Kolor has a great ice white pearl. This is a dry flake additive that can be added to a clearcoat. The overall effect would be some addt'l shimmer in the sunlight (not to mention plays off the chrome REAL nicely) and in the shade will still look virtually black...

If you are interested, I have an example of this (with flames) that I did on a guy's fatboy from CA. Feel free to email me and I can send you the pictures...

Pat

#7 ·
If you are doing a solid color or a two tone, most body shops can give you a very good job. If you want flames or other artwork, you will need a pro in motorcycle painting.

#8 ·
kustom_flames said:
If I could make a suggestion....

House of Kolor has a great ice white pearl. This is a dry flake additive that can be added to a clearcoat. The overall effect would be some addt'l shimmer in the sunlight (not to mention plays off the chrome REAL nicely) and in the shade will still look virtually black...

If you are interested, I have an example of this (with flames) that I did on a guy's fatboy from CA. Feel free to email me and I can send you the pictures...

Pat
pm sent, thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.