1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Doof Bag
274 Posts
The circus can't stay in town forever.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
This was a comin!!! Harley Davidson has increased production to a point that there are bikes on the show room floor. I bought my first Harley in 1994 and the only bikes that were on the floor were used ones. I had to wait 6 months to get a 1200 Sportster. In 2002, I waited 3 months to get a 2003 Electra Glide Standard.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Maybe dealers, will have to act like they want your buisness. Reap it.

·
Banned
9,436 Posts
:corn: Where's Dirty Jim when you need an uplifting, insightful comment on a subject like this?

Lefty

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
Like I said, it was coming. I think Harley Davidson is doing the right thing. They have seen what is happening to GM, Ford and Chrysler as well what is happening in the housing market. Why should they keep building a large quantity of bikes when the writing is on the wall that sales will probably be reduced.

·
Banned
3,710 Posts
DLL66 said:
Like I said, it was coming. I think Harley Davidson is doing the right thing. They have seen what is happening to GM, Ford and Chrysler as well what is happening in the housing market. Why should they keep building a large quantity of bikes when the writing is on the wall that sales will probably be reduced.
so a few more people on the unemployment line:corn:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Harley-Davidson is in a position now that many companies, particularly publicly-traded companies, are in with the overall US market softening, leading to slower sales. The important thing for Harley to do right now, is to keep the profit margin up. Cutting production is a first step; layoffs will follow. Bottom line: if you can't increase sales, you must cut expenses in order to keep your margins up and the stock analysts off your back. The stock is down slightly again in an up market, but still healthy. That said, if it continues a downward slide, it could cause real trouble for the MoCo.

·
Super Moderator
10,494 Posts
Wouldn't it take a major setback to do any kind of harm to Harley? I mean it can't really get that bad. They're having a slowdown. To a spoiled child like Harley that's probably catastrophic but to any other global company it's probably nothing. Just my simple opinion.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
vindex1963 said:
Wouldn't it take a major setback to do any kind of harm to Harley? I mean it can't really get that bad. They're having a slowdown. To a spoiled child like Harley that's probably catastrophic but to any other global company it's probably nothing. Just my simple opinion.
what makes them a spoiled child and what makes anyone believe they are actually worried about whats happening?

its just a hunch but i'm certain the guys who brought the company back from near extinction have figured out how to weather a natural slowdown in sales in the US and survive. i dont want to believe the members here are that naeve.

dont let what you read about the company here influence what you think of them in general. this forum is far from even remotely tuned into the moco and what it is capable of and about.

·
Registered
204 Posts
tomv said:
. . . what makes anyone believe they are actually worried about whats happening?
Worried may be too strong a word, but they are certainly concerned. Otherwise, why the cutbacks in production? They obviously misread the softening of the economy and over-produced in '07. Now they've got the '08s with new models and improvements on the BT lines, and they're having trouble moving the remaining '07s.

In addition to a shrinking market, the competition is heating up. For example, just as H-D is releasing the Rocker, here comes Yamaha with a 113 cu. in. air-cooled V-twin (123 ft. lb. torque at 2500 rpm), chopper-looking bike called the Raider for under $14k. And most of the other major manufacturers have new competitive models as well.

All of this is not fatal, but H-D is going to have to really keep their eye on the ball for a while. With money increasingly tight, the motorcycle boom of of the past few years is over and new strategies are necessary.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
The Moco will have to get lean and mean and start putting out bikes that aren't as expensive to the consumer. HD has made the style of bikes with very little chrome. This is catching on, look at the street glide and the nightster. The thing is they are as (or more) expensive than the models with more bling. That chrome on the ultra has to cost plenty, both in manufacturing and in installation labor. That is just money in thier pocket.

They have weathered bad storms before. Many times they barely came back from near extinction. Hard times, maybe the Milwalkee Iron needs some tempering.

·
Super Moderator
10,494 Posts
tomv said:
what makes them a spoiled child
They have gotten used to selling any stupid thing come up with is the last few years. Look how the dealers treat people. Look at the twin cam engine problems without a recall. If an auto maker made a car that burned up cam bearings you bet there would be a recall. The new bikes running so hot they hurt to ride. I haven't ridden one just what I've read here and people will go out and buy them like crazy. They set an MSRP and stand back while the dealers rape the customer with mark ups and convincing people they have to have grossly overpriced dealer services done. Name a maker of any street vehicle who's customers would stand for that......they are a spoiled child.

·
Registered
51 Posts
vindex1963 said:
They have gotten used to selling any stupid thing come up with is the last few years. Look how the dealers treat people. Look at the twin cam engine problems without a recall. If an auto maker made a car that burned up cam bearings you bet there would be a recall. The new bikes running so hot they hurt to ride. I haven't ridden one just what I've read here and people will go out and buy them like crazy. They set an MSRP and stand back while the dealers rape the customer with mark ups and convincing people they have to have grossly overpriced dealer services done. Name a maker of any street vehicle who's customers would stand for that......they are a spoiled child.
You know how I judge if a dealer is worthy of my business? I check to see if there's a new Superglide on the floor. I've been in probably twenty dealerships in the last year, and I've found that if there's a new Superglide on the floor that prices are usually reasonable.

The dealer closest to my house has a '07 Denim Black Street Bob on the floor. It's been there for a couple of months. It has their standard 2K add-on package (Stage one download, SE AC, and V&H pipes), but is otherwise stock. The price? Over $17,000. I've done much more to my bike and I still haven't hit $17,000.

-- kerry --

1 - 20 of 35 Posts