V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Just pidlin'
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure about all the facts, but it seems a guy was on a road trip,stopped into a dealer to get a tire replaced. His bike was on the recall list.
They put the new tire on, then informed him that they could not let have his bike because it was defective and they did not have the part to fix the brake light recall. Supposedly they got them in wuthin 24 hours and got him on his way. But he had to spend the night.

How would you have felt about this?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Was the recall for the brake light switch?

I would have been pissed to say the least. I personally think that the dealer should be responsible for his room. What say you?

·
Just pidlin'
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fixed the recall thing:spank:

Yes I would have been pissed too.

The dealer should have informed him before they took the job in.
But I guess they wanted to sell a tire.

·
Registered
99 Posts
If the dealership will not let him have his bike then they are responsible for paying the hotel bills plus food ect until it is fixed.
PERIOD

·
blipper
5,199 Posts
I agree with you guys

Sounds like a hostage scenario, but I'm not sure if it was the vehicle or owner being held against their will. I'm hoping that my local dealer would have the courtesy to tell somebody about the recall notice before accepting the bike for an unrelated issue. If the dealer's main concern were looking out for the guy's safety, then putting a roof over his head until the job was completed is the least they can do.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The Service Manager as within any Dealership needs to be kept up to date on any and all recalls. They why there are service bullitons and up to date recalls.

If this did happen then the Dealership stills has no right to keep the unit till the part is on hand. And the owner needs to have is hotel, meals and any other bill paid in full that is tired back to this issue in the 1ST place.

Myself, I would of taken my Hog weather or not the Dealership says so or not.
I could also see a future law suite of a tort matter is at hand. There is nowhere on a repair order where it states the if a part is not in that they can keep the unit. This is a saftey issue but not a issue of keeping the unit.

Keep all receipts, clear ledgable copy of the work order, miles on unit when the dealership took hold of it, gas tank reading and mileage ending when you got the unit back, type of tire, size, brand, total bill owner paid,etc.

Find attorney that has the right to practice in said state where this happened and sue the pants off the dealership.

·
Registered
95 Posts
There's not a chance in hell that the dealership would have kept my bike for a faulty brake light switch. If they tried and insisted, you would hear about it on CNN.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
This is more of that Internet hipe. No true never happen I dare anyone to give names.
First the recall for the brake light switch is no big deal.
Second even if dealer did not have the new one and an OLD one happen to fail the deal can install a replacement until the new recall replacement are on hand.
I have been riding a long time and rack up a lot of miles on my Hd's.
NOT once have I ever had a deal jack me around like I read in these forums. Never had any problem with a warranty issue. Even had them fix a few things I though might not be covered.
This kind of BS that must be called out other wise when the time comes and something worth getting fire up about comes along no one will care.
Dealer called me about the recall told me the day they had the new parts in. I set up a time a two weeks down the road to do it .
However I stopped by the dealer that Saturday it to pick something up, shop manager came out and ASK if I had 45 minutes they would run mine in a get it done.
Why to much Internet BS about HD's .

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
This is more of that Internet hipe. No true never happen I dare anyone to give names.
First the recall for the brake light switch is no big deal.
Second even if dealer did not have the new one and an OLD one happen to fail the deal can install a replacement until the new recall replacement are on hand.
I have been riding a long time and rack up a lot of miles on my Hd's.
NOT once have I ever had a deal jack me around like I read in these forums. Never had any problem with a warranty issue. Even had them fix a few things I though might not be covered.
This kind of BS that must be called out other wise when the time comes and something worth getting fire up about comes along no one will care.
Dealer called me about the recall told me the day they had the new parts in. I set up a time a two weeks down the road to do it .
However I stopped by the dealer that Saturday it to pick something up, shop manager came out and ASK if I had 45 minutes they would run mine in a get it done.
Why to much Internet BS about HD's .
There is alot of truth ( not all of it )in the Internet BS about HD.

·
Registered
924 Posts
got that right!...s-manager would have to be pretty big & ugly for me to kiss ass and stay the night...sounds like a Hitchcock movie plot...haa

·
Registered
176 Posts
I am not buying it. Braked lights are important but I don't think they are grounding important. Hell a cop pulls you over for a brake light out they don't red tag you and make you leave bike on side of the road. They give you a fix it ticket and tell you to get outta here.

·
Banned
6,957 Posts
I don't buy it either. The not returning the bike doesn't sound right. They could ask the rider to sign a release saying he understood they did not recommend the bike be ridden and releasing the dealership from any legal liability.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts