V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Has anyone tried to install a Harmon Kardon radio in a 2004 or older ultra? Is the Harmon any better then the older Radio sound unit?

Thank you,
Dan-o

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Short answer is yes. I have one in my 99 ultra. It requires buying a new ultra overlay harness for the rear speaker and controls and a harness to hook up the cb module. You also have to get the radio head programed by your dealer to turn the cb intercom rear speaker functions on unless your radio is removed from a ultra. It has to be hooked up to a 06 or later bagger and be programed with a digital technission. It can be done If you want it bad enough. The plug on the left side of your ultra radio is useable on the HK radio. The cb antenna plug also has to be replaced with a smaller tnc plug. The advantage of this radio is that it can play cd's recorded in the mp3 format allowing about 130 songs on one cd.

·
ASA Lives
600 Posts
cts1950 said:
Short answer is yes. I have one in my 99 ultra. It requires buying a new ultra overlay harness for the rear speaker and controls and a harness to hook up the cb module. You also have to get the radio head programed by your dealer to turn the cb intercom rear speaker functions on unless your radio is removed from a ultra. It has to be hooked up to a 06 or later bagger and be programed with a digital technission. It can be done If you want it bad enough. The plug on the left side of your ultra radio is useable on the HK radio. The cb antenna plug also has to be replaced with a smaller tnc plug. The advantage of this radio is that it can play cd's recorded in the mp3 format allowing about 130 songs on one cd.
I figured it could be done. I, myself have a 1989 Ultra that I upgraded to a 1998 standard. I changed the wiring and charging system. I have the 1998 - 2003 Ultra Radio/CB Intercom system. I could add the CD with no problem. The oil tank is under the transmission and oil filter in front of the motor. Battery is under the seat and I could put the removable tour pack rack on, but I don't want it. I have the Factory alarm system installed and all of this is on a year model Harley says can't have them added. Almost anything can be done. Harley just wants you to buy a new one, instead of fixing the older one.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
I am glad to see that I am not alone in my crazyness. The way I see it is my bike is paid for and I have done almost every thing to it I want. I do not see any advantage to buying a new one and have 400 or more monthly payments for a machine that I would have to start all over again. It makes more sense to add the new features that are brought out that are important to you. The biggest dissadvantage is that it will not improve the value of the bike if you try to trade it in so in that you are married to it.

·
ASA Lives
600 Posts
cts1950 said:
The biggest dissadvantage is that it will not improve the value of the bike if you try to trade it in so in that you are married to it.
Not only will it not add value to the ride, it can even detract from the bottom line because it is not stock. {salute(

·
moved on
13,396 Posts
Ultra89Rider said:
I figured it could be done. I, myself have a 1989 Ultra that I upgraded to a 1998 standard. I changed the wiring and charging system. I have the 1998 - 2003 Ultra Radio/CB Intercom system. I could add the CD with no problem. The oil tank is under the transmission and oil filter in front of the motor. Battery is under the seat and I could put the removable tour pack rack on, but I don't want it. I have the Factory alarm system installed and all of this is on a year model Harley says can't have them added. Almost anything can be done. Harley just wants you to buy a new one, instead of fixing the older one.

did you have to modify any of the frame to get that trans/oilbag to fit?
when you moved the battery, did you change the right bag too?
did you do your own wiring or install a ready made wiring harness?
I have been contemplating this for awhile now.

·
ASA Lives
600 Posts
Ahar said:
did you have to modify any of the frame to get that trans/oilbag to fit?
when you moved the battery, did you change the right bag too?
did you do your own wiring or install a ready made wiring harness?
I have been contemplating this for awhile now.
To change the oil tank requires some changes to the mounts for the crash bar and a new rear brake master cylinder. The brake cylinder is in the way of the oil tank below the transmission. I took some pictures of a 1993 - 1996 brake cylinder mount and made my own. It mounts inside the frame and does not require any modifications to the pedal. Just the later model pin. I still used my original fluid tank. I used a stock battery box used on 1993 to 1996. The box changed in 1997 when the frame was changed. The box and rails mount to the top of the frame, instead of to a tab welded to the frame. The only rear rail that needed to change was the right one because the battery box is no longer there. I welded a lower mount to the frame and used one from 1993 to 1996. This helped me change to the later bags. The bags are the same from 1993 to present. I just bought new stock bag mounts and they bolted right up with no modifications. Be sure that the rails will need to be changed or not used. The older ones are too short and will not fit. As for the wiring, I bought new wiring harness from Harley. I was having electrical problems and new harness fixed them. One thing I made myself on the wiring was the ignition harness. I have a carburetor and the carburetor harness is obsolete and not available. I had to make my own. I used a 2002 harness. I could have changed to a later harness, but I wanted to stay with the ignition module I had. It is a custom one that has some changes to the curve. If you have any questions, just ask. It took some time to get it together, but now that it's done, it is like a new bike. I could not be happier.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts