Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
guido said:
I'm curious about how many of you are H.O.G. members.Pros? Cons? Thanks. guido

You are automatically a memeber for a year when you buy a new Harley. That's the national membership. It allows you to then join local chapter(s). It gives you the opportunity to meet new riding buddies and discounts at the sponsoring dealership etc. When I bought my Dyna someone dropped the ball because I never recieved the welcoming package (pin, patch, membership number, dealership map,etc.). So I am not a member because I did not send in any money to continue. For some people it is a great thing. I guess I am really more of a loner by nature and have a select few that I ride with if I ride with others. Not knocking the H.O.G. for sure but at this time I am not a member.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Everyone has a perspective on HOG. There are separate national and local chapter memberships. The costs are moderate. When you purchase a new bike, you automatically become a one year member of national HOG. The national sponsored events can be entertaining and enjoyable. To become a local HOG chapter member, you must be a member of national HOG. I have no problem with national HOG. Indeed, I am life member.

Since my job has taken me around the Country, I've had the chance to see a number of local HOG chapters in action. The local HOG chapters vary dramatically in their operation and the quality of the events they sponsor. Occasionally, local HOG chapters will "pretend" to be M/C's, which they are not. Anyone can join HOG. Many local HOG chapters are into a lot of socializing and "eating" events. ("Live to Ride. Ride to eat.") On the other hand, if you get into a good local HOG chapter, with members who are not obsessed, then you can have an enjoyable experience. Lisa (huckelberry1) and I are members of a local HOG chapter because we occasionally will accompany them on a breakfast run and attend a few sponsored events. If you like riding in organized rides/events, then membership in a local HOG chapter may be OK for you. Additionally, many newer riders are often comfortable as local HOG chapter members. The local HOG chapter membership gives them a chance to learn about riding and meet new friends.

You'll have to decide for yourself whether HOG membership is right for you. You may want to try it for a year or so. If you don't like it, don't rejoin.

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
Some other advantages...

1. You can participate in the Fly and Ride program, otherwise, I do not believe that you can take advantage of this.

2. You also receive Free memberships to : HOG Tales, and Enthusiast, periodicals published by H-D, and contain up to date information on H-D products and sponsored events.

3. Roadside assistance, towing reimbursement, insurance and other programs are also offered.

4. Oh, and you get a free patch and pin :)

·
Registered
380 Posts
hog

i joined hog in Aug. of 97 win i got my first HD, and enjoy it a lot. along with all the before mentioned benifets it was the new people we met. so if you whant to meet new friends it is a fun time . you make it what you whant to.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
No and

Hell no.

With an explaination

My observations and reasons are my own.

(1) It is touted as a brotherhood.

You cannot buy brothers. You cannot BE a brother simply on the merit of forty bucks.

(2) It is, in my estimation, a tool of the Motor Company to continue to inflate prices.

(3) Without regard for experience, the "brothers" will place in the pack of a large ride any $40 card carrying rider. (That has a woman dead here in Houston two weeks after buying her first bike ever.) With in one week of her buying a new bike she was admitted to the local HOG Chapter upon presentation of her National (Proof of Membership) and forty bucks. A week later she was along for a ride with the group in the middle of a 75 plus rider pack. She died. Her "brothers" should have known better. Her "brothers" should have protected the Lil sister. The fact is her "brothers" were more interested in NUMBERS than people.

(4) You get a 10% discount on inflated prices at the local shop IF you are a member of the local chapter. National Membership? Nada. You cannot be a member of the local unless you are a member of the National. That is a Racket! Plain and simple. As long as people join HOG, the green light for increasing prices shines. If people stopped, the prices would go down. You are NOT getting a discount. You are allowing the carrot to be waved and you are biting on it. Folks that refuse to join are subject to higher prices and therefore must weigh the cost of membership against the loss in discounts missed. That is Bull ****!

(5) You do not need The Motor Company to steer you to who is cool and who is not. Cool to them, a major Corporation is folks who they can continue to clip. The clip The HOG with their phoney family BS.

(6) The Texas State HOG Rally is in Beaumont this year. What is in Beaumont you ask? Not a damn thing... EXCEPT!,,,for the new 3 story Cowboys HD shop that cost mega $$$ that came out of YOUR pocket.

(7) Texas ROT Rally is NOT sponsored by HOG. Why? Because they cannot rip you off there.

(8) Dawgs on Hogs is NOT sponsered by HOG. Why? Because they cannot rip you off there.

(9) The so called permire Harley Rally, STURGIS is not sponsored by HOG. Why? Well if you have to ask.... LOL!

I have friends who are members of HOG. It ain't about the people, many of them are great folks. But as long as an American Company puts out a RoadKing at $17k plus, while Yamahahahaha puts out The Road Star at $8k plus, then there is something fundementally wrong with the whole system! That is a system that could NOT exist if folks boycotted HOG and CHOSE their brothers on the merit of soul and NOT forty bucks and a National Membership.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My wife and I are both national and local members. The group we belong to is very active [riding]. We ride almost every weekend, and this is NJ. We've left the house in the morning with the temp. in the 20's [thats F not C]. We try to ride during the week with the regular group thou work seems to interfere. ;)

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
OK, so it's not for everybody but i fail to see any harm in it as a way to meet people. Personally I am not looking for a "brotherhood", just meeting other people like me who enjoy owning and riding harleys but also happen to have jobs. I only know of a few HOG members that try to pretend it is some kind of "brotherhood" or gang and they are doing it on their own....not because Harley HOG endorses it or encourages it.

At least HOG isn't out dealing dope and breaking into houses.

·
Registered
684 Posts
There were a lot of good points made regarding HOG membership. Brother JimmyK's included!

I consider myself to be one of the "loners", so I suppose that (technically) makes me an Independent Harley Rider. Please fellas, no disrespect intended. Just a fact.

I can understand wanting to associate with others having similar interests, but I don't think it's necessary to join a local in order to do that.

On the other hand, there are people I know who really enjoy their local chapter. Good for them.

As for me, I paid the $40 to see what was hidden behind the Members Only door of their website. I must say that I was dissappointed.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
logical said:
OK, so it's not for everybody but i fail to see any harm in it as a way to meet people. Personally I am not looking for a "brotherhood", just meeting other people like me who enjoy owning and riding harleys but also happen to have jobs. I only know of a few HOG members that try to pretend it is some kind of "brotherhood" or gang and they are doing it on their own....not because Harley HOG endorses it or encourages it.

At least HOG isn't out dealing dope and breaking into houses.
Hiya Logical.

If used as way to meet people there is indeed, "no harm". I would also however say there is no need. Folks who ride gravitate to others of like mind. I can walk into most any Ice House here in Texas and make friends with fellow riders.

If you were to walk into The Blue Door, you would perhaps find me. I enjoy riding Harleys and I also happen to have a job. In fact, a damn good one! I work for a major Airline as a contracts Manager. I have seen most of The World as a perk! One thing I know is how major Corporations work. I have had the honor of being the customer of Boeing, GE, Israel Aircraft Industries, Pratt and Whitney, Allied Signal, Honeywell, Sabena, Aer Lingus, Volvo, Chrysler Dalmer, and oh yea, I could go on.

Knowing how they work, I consider business as simply that but when it comes to WHY I work, Hell, that is for my life! I have no problem being the Corporate "Brick in The Wall", but when it comes to my life and the choices I make as to how I will live it, then I draw the line.

I live on 2.5 fine horse acres in Houston. Don't own a horse, but if I want my brothers to come over and raise some Hell, we can without bothering Mrs. Jones. That is how I want to live so I worked to make it so.

Regulations, Rules, Kickbacks, Monopoly. That is why prices are so high.

HD is a great Corporation from the standpoint of making money. Hell of a stock. The Investors are getting fat. The question is, how and off whom?

I SELL Corporate Bullshit but I don't buy it.

Bottom line is I have more and I keep more.

That which I sell I intend to capitalize on to the max. That which I buy however, well Hell, it is my money, right? If I don't protect it, someone like me will take it by inflating the cost of what I desire.

HOG is much like me. However, being me, I do NOT want to be the supplier of a customer like me.

HOG offers something I do not need. Therefore I do not buy it. Do they offer something you need? If not, then why buy into it? Please provide a logical answer LOL!

Jimmy

PS. Dealing Dope and breaking into houses is a felony. So is Grand Theft Person, ( a Root of Strong Armed Robbery). I would propose that the glitter and glitz and the false need to be this to be all that is Robbery of the Free Spirit that is found in the wind.

Brotherhood is a whole seperate issue and should not be cheapend by a "Welcome To The Family" flick offered by the fisherman who has ya hooked now with his line of Corporate, "CHA-CHING"!!! Bullshit.

Hell, just look at all the car adds after Sept 11. Waveing Our Beloved Flag that the best of the best fought and died for in order to "inspire" us to buy American.

Screw that! QUIT scalping The American Public and BE AMERICAN! Quit allowing *** cars and Bikes to undersell US. If THEY can do it WE can do it! Until that happens, then Piss on the rich bastards who never fought for but continue to rape U.S.

Harley Davidson is a rich fat assed Corporation who is capitalizing on our dreams. That is a phoney wave of Our Beloved Flag.

Want proof? Go to Sweden. You can buy a Harley CHEAPER than here. Now what the hell is wrong with that picture folks?

The PEOPLE of HOG could all rip off and Piss on that patch. Guess what? The PEOPLE would still be there, TOGETHER, each with forty bucks beer money! PARTY!

No I am not a fan of HOG. I am an Independent Biker and I LOVE being just that!

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
Well Jimmy-

I type way too slowly and got home way too late to respond with a logical post. All I will say is that I am a little baffled as to why you single out HOG. I mean you bought a Harley so you already gave HD thousands of dollars.

Again, I understand choosing not to join if it isn't your thing but I don't get the outright hatred....especially given how you describe your job.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
can-o-warms

I'm just as confused as my logical brother... not feeling a whole lot of love in here Jimmy. I posed the question earlier even though I’m not a joiner myself, although I bear no ill will against those that do. Without them I'd probably have been drafted so bless there little hearts.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Woah! This thread isn't worth all the energy being poured out here. Group hug, slam a round of beers:). Bottom line, its there if you want it, if not leave it alone. If your new to Harleys and/or biking, than H.O.G. may be good for you. If you like it after the first year stay, if not bail out. Seems pretty simple. The first year is free. Our local chapter only charges $12.00 a year. I agree that 40.00 for a local chapter is steep. Like any organization, VFW, American Legion, Masons, etc.... Its not for everyone. If you find they offer what you need, you stay, if not, you bail. Yes, there are a lot of IHRs out there. Some folks aren't extroverted enough to just walk up to one and start a conversation. So H.O.G. meets a need for some. As far as the unfortunate incident where the woman was killed in Texas, there isn't enough details to really place blame. Inexperience is inexperience period. Whether you are group or solo riding, accidents can and do happen unfortunately. Bikers go down everyday for one reason or another. We all just hope it doesn't happen to us. Statistically, the odds are against us that the longer we ride, the potential increases that we will be involved in some sort of accident, either minor or major. Historically, most bike accidents occur within the first 6 months of starting to ride due to inexperience. I'm not defending anyone here, just stating facts. Draw your own conclusions. Anyway, just my .02.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
Just to clarify skydoc....

The odds that I will get into an accident at all in my lifetime increase with the amount of time I have been riding but the odds that I will get in an accident TODAY decrease with the amount of time I have been riding. Know what I mean?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.