V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Well, I have made a decision to join the Harley ranks soon after spending all of my riding career on one of those other makes. Currently ride a 1100 sport touring rig. I have found a few ultras (89-93 models) that I think I can get into for what I have to spend. Have a friend who recently bought a 2001 Road King. I like the look of no top box but I know that the wife would appreciate the extra security of a box. Can I remove the box for solo riding to have a little more sleek look and then put it on for when the wife or child want to ride along? Are there kits or other considerations for this? Saw in the Harley Buyers Guide a picture of one with the top box removed and a windshield instead of the full fairing. Like that look also.

Any other things to consider and look for when purchasing a tourer of this vintage? How much is mileage a concern? Thanks in advance to all. Just found this site and have scoured much info already!

Mark
Belton, Texas

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Welcome aboard, Mark!

We're glad you're thinking about ridin' a Harley. H/D does have a detachable Tour-Pak available in full and chopped versions.

Before you by a 10 year old bike, have you thought about a new bike? How about an Electra-Glide Standard? No, I don't own any stock in H/D--wish I did. Just trying to make a good suggestion.

Checked Kelly Blue Book on the "retail" value of a '93 FLHTC, that's an Electra Glide Classic, retail is $14.8K. Of course, the price will vary from place to place. Bla. Bla. Bla. Point is: a new 2002 Electra Glide Standard (a very GOOD value bike, with full fairing but no tour pack and no radio) is msrp for less than $15K. Plus, tax and tip, etc. Check it out on the H/D WEB site. IMHO the Standard is the best value you can get in the H/D Touring line.

I know a lot of riders swear by their older rides. And plan to keep their bikes forever. More power to 'em. However, again IMHO the TC-88 power plant is a substantial improvement over the Evo engine which powered all Big Twins until the last few years. If you like "tweaking" your bike, a vintage Evo would be good. However, coming over to the dark side of the force from the metric world I don't think you'd be happy with an older Evo.

Pop for the extra bucks now. You'll be happier in the long run. And you can justify the expense by rationalizing "it'll hold it's value".

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am going to agree with pasadenajim. If you are coming off a metric cruiser, you a probably not going to like an older evo. I had a friend do the same for a 97 evo Dyna, and now he is back on a *** bike. He just went about it the wrong way. He wanted a Harley to ride and he is a heavy rider. He went and bought a Wide Glide with a evo motor. After riding 400 mile trips he complained about vibration and being uncomfortable. Now he rides a goldenwing. Point is, coming off a metric bike, the evo dyna was not the smart choice for him. He was not a Harley man so the first sign of vibration turned him off. He was wanting to get something better than what he was riding. Im not saying the Dyna was not any good, he was just expecting something alot better than his *** bike. If he would have rode a new twin cam touring model he still would have been on it. The riceburners have always been noted for their smoothness and easy handleing, but the new TC88 in a touring configuration will give any *** bike a run for its money. My first Harley was a 81 FXE Shovelhead. After growing up on metric cruisers that was a real shock to what a Harley really was. I now ride a RK Classic and would not ride anything else. I have nothing against any metric bike. I love all motorcycles but I love Harleys most of all. My personal opion would be to try to snag a Twin Cam. I think you would be more than happy with it. If you really like Harleys and like to tweak on them, any older evo model would be great.

That is just an opinion. Everyone knows opinions are like a**holes, everybody has one.:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
I second the new FLHT Standard idea. I just ordered one, and it will be delivered in March. When I finally got to see one in person, I was really impressed. The downside is the aluminum engine instead of the black and chrome and the only color being black, but I like those things. I also found that in addition to a lower MSRP, the mark up was less than on the almost any other new HD.
The TC88 is a great engine. I got to compare it side by side to a 99 EVO, and the diiference is dramatic. The FLHTCUI TC88 was much faster than the EVO 99 Heritage Softail i rode.
Good Luck.
JC

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The way you put it you are coming off a ST1100 or R1100RT. I would tend to agree that anything less then a new bike will disappoint you. The 02 baggers are improved in many small ways, suspension in particular, and anything less will not be a fair comparison.
Worse comes to worse get a Twin Cam with the larger brakes, ie after 2000 but in Harleyworld the difference in cost compared to a new one is very little.
That way you will have all of the typical Harley strenghts, and retain a semblance of the strenght of the bikes you are used to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The difference between a S/T bike and a touring cruiser is profound. You sit on a S/T and in a T/C. I have a Road King and a 1250 Bandit set up for touring, very different in all aspects. Its the difference between driving a BMW and a Cadillac, both have merit.

You need to rent a few H-D models to see which is the most comfortable and fits your riding style. Used bikes are everywhere and many have poser miles (very low) with a good deal of chrome and upgrades already installed. As long as you have the bike gone through by a good H-D mechanic prior to purchase you should be good to go.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
I like the look of no top box but I know that the wife would appreciate the extra security of a box. Can I remove the box for solo riding to have a little more sleek look and then put it on for when the wife or child want to ride along?
To answer this question, yes you can add a detachable mount that will allow you to remove the tour-pak when desired.

I recommend you test ride as many Harleys as possible before you buy one. Start out with the latest and work your way backward. Personally I'd be looking for a 2002 or newer.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
I was just thinking to myself, this thread is abt 7 years old, if he was going to get a harley, I'd like to think he had done it by now.....

·
Registered
386 Posts
check the date on the thread.... old one!

·
Registered
967 Posts
If he actually did go ahead and get that Harley, I like to know what he bought! Seven years ago, he has probably bought two or three by now.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
If you get the top box you'll be able to put a watermelon rack on it. regardless of the date on the beginning of the thread that's pertinent.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts