V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a fxdx 2002 dyna-- i want to mod the engine without using the big bore kit
head work, compression, radical cams, carb and exhaust.. the bike has screamin eagle pipes for what that is worth and has a k and n filter of some sort. shop guys called it a stage one mod.
Can anyone advise me.

·
Wandering Child
632 Posts
slowpokescotty said:
i have a fxdx 2002 dyna-- i want to mod the engine without using the big bore kit
head work, compression, radical cams, carb and exhaust.. the bike has screamin eagle pipes for what that is worth and has a k and n filter of some sort. shop guys called it a stage one mod.
Can anyone advise me.
I don't think there is anything else you can do since you painted yourself into a corner by listing all the things you don't want to do, because after stage 1, most of the stuff you listed or some combination of them is required to get more performance.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Considering the the work that you are willing to do, there doesn't seem to be any reason to not go big bore and take advantage of the extra cubic inches........Bill

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
If your pulling the heads off, your ready to pull cylinders off. Just remember with high compression you may need relesase and may stress bottom end more. Also need good gas, and need to stay in areas with good gas. Probably get just as god with results with few more cubic inches, and milder motor.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
slowpokescotty said:
Can anyone advise me.
I think we need some clarification.

First, Stage I is installing a free flowing air intake and low restriction exhaust. You will need to re-jet your carb as these mods will make your engine run lean. If you have an EFI bike, you'll need a Stage I reflash.

Stage II is typically involves increasing displacement from 88 to 95 cu in and adding a performance cam.

Are you trying to indicate that you want to do mods but want to avoid all stage II components or are you trying to indicate that you want to do mods but avoid the HD kit?

If its the former, your not going to get too far. If its the latter, there are TONS of performance options other than the kits offered by Harley Davidson.

There are literally hundreds of threads on these forums about 95/98/103 cu in builds.

·
Registered
219 Posts
slowpokescotty said:
Can anyone advise me.
If you don't want to modify big bore, heads, compression, cams...to me it sounds like your done!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jimmymac said:
I don't think there is anything else you can do since you painted yourself into a corner by listing all the things you don't want to do, because after stage 1, most of the stuff you listed or some combination of them is required to get more performance.
:thumbsdn: my post was written poorly:thumbsdn: .

The only thing on the list i dont want to do is the big bore kit.. Sorry i messed up my request.

Can you folks please try again with some advice.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Snaps said:
Looks like a diet is the only thing left.
Ha hA HA!!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :roflback: :roflback: :roflback:

All the best, Ozzie

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
You already have it apart. It would be sooooo easy, not to mention cheap, to have your cylinders punched out and buy a set of SE 95" flattop pistons. My opinion is it would be a shame not to...and a waste of labor.:duh?: :thumbsup:

YB

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
pa-glazier said:
Can I ask why you don't want to do the big bore? This is probably best and cheapest of the performance upgrades.
The engine is large enough already. My experience with sporties in the 60s causes me to not want pistons too large. we ran 10 second bikes on the street with wheels from a K. sifton cams and tt pipes((i think the term today is drag pipes.))
Larger is not always faster in my opinion. I don't really care about top end stuff.
i like mods and don't think kits offer the options. I want to consult folks who have gone with kits and also with non kit mods. I will have the engine built for me.
My local Harley shop has some very experienced men who are also thinking of what to do. No nitrous or turbo either.

I am voicing my point of vier and dont think i have the answers or i wouldn't be asking so THANKS FOR ALL TH EREPLIES
HHHMMMMMMMMMMMM diet good idea :laugh: :laugh:

The bike is almost all black

·
Wandering Child
632 Posts
No reason you can't stay at 88", get the heads done, put a mild cam in it, dyno tune and your done. That should perk it up for you, but honestly if you are into it that far with the heads ripped off, you should really reconsider going to 95". I can't think of any reason not too. Maybe someone with more experience will chime in here in case I'm missing something.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
jimmymac said:
No reason you can't stay at 88", get the heads done, put a mild cam in it, dyno tune and your done. That should perk it up for you, but honestly if you are into it that far with the heads ripped off, you should really reconsider going to 95". I can't think of any reason not too. Maybe someone with more experience will chime in here in case I'm missing something.
I want a larger carb and cams that are not to mild. A concern is that the screaming eagle exhaust will mot allow for too much of an upgrade. I dont know what exhaust model it is but the baffels are not removable.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts