V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to install the HD Engine Guard Mounted Fog Lamps (PN 68913-98B), on my '04 Road Glide. I know that the parts catalog says that they won't fit Road Glides. The parts guy at the dealer told me the same thing.

I could swear, however, that I've seen Road Glides with them installed. I don't think I'm imagineing this. Does anyone know the truth? Have any of you installed these lights on your Road Glides?

Thanks in advance,
Erik

·
Dazed and Confused
57 Posts
A guy on another forum has them on his bike. There is a slight gap between the fog mount and engine guard as shown in the photo. If I had known they'd fit, I would have removed them from my other bike before I sold it and got the Road Glide.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Fog lamps...

I have them on my '01 RG. Only problem I see is that the configuration along with the dual headlamps makes ya kinda look like a Goldwing until you're in earshot. Ah, so what, I know what I ride.

Catalog said they wouldn't fit an FLTR when I bought them. I asked two parts guys at the same shop. One said that the bracket had to be modified somehow. Not true. However, you could notch the fairing bracket to allow you to hide the connector wire.
The other said that the lamp would ding the fender if the wheel was turned to full lock and the suspension were fully compressed. I guess maybe you could make that happen if you leaned your 400 lb body forward over the front end with the wheel at lock and mashed the front brake. Don't try this while the bike is in motion.
And, why do they fit RK's and EG's? What's different?
The dealer let me take one lamp out of the box and trial fit it. That convinced me that it could be done.

That's my 2 cents. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
f35099 said:
A guy on another forum has them on his bike. There is a slight gap between the fog mount and engine guard as shown in the photo. If I had known they'd fit, I would have removed them from my other bike before I sold it and got the Road Glide.
Has that bike ever beem ridden? That has got to be the cleanest bike I have ever seen outside of a showroom!

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys! Exactly what I needed to know. I'll probably go ahead and order the lights and do what I must to make them work.

Those motolights are really cool but I think that their price is a bit more than I want to spend on this project, especially considering that I'd have to have the chrome ones. Thanks again!

Erik

·
Registered
479 Posts
er320 said:
Those motolights are really cool but I think that their price is a bit more than I want to spend on this project...
True, but the motolights turn with the wheel illuminating where you want to go. Could be a big improvement on a Road Glide.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I wish someone would have told me about this 2 or so years ago.
These lights have been on my bike all this time and now I find out that they won't work.:eek:

Ride Safe,
Vettster

·
Registered
46 Posts
Motorlights

I have the motolights on my EG Classic and get compliments about them all the time. The cagers look at you twice, it is something out of the ordinary and it grabs thier attention. I hardley ever use my spot lights any more, but when I do I have five lights lighting the way. I believe most laws say no more that four light on the front of any vehicle but when I on a dark country road I use them all.

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
I had the dealer install them on my 05 Road Glide, and they fit just fine. The guys in the service department that I talked to had no idea why the catalog says they won't fit. They install them on over half the Road Glides they sell. The lights are great for helping to spot dear along the sides of the roads around here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
GreatEscape said:
I have them on my '01 RG. Only problem I see is that the configuration along with the dual headlamps makes ya kinda look like a Goldwing until you're in earshot. Ah, so what, I know what I ride.

Catalog said they wouldn't fit an FLTR when I bought them. I asked two parts guys at the same shop. One said that the bracket had to be modified somehow. Not true. However, you could notch the fairing bracket to allow you to hide the connector wire.
The other said that the lamp would ding the fender if the wheel was turned to full lock and the suspension were fully compressed. I guess maybe you could make that happen if you leaned your 400 lb body forward over the front end with the wheel at lock and mashed the front brake. Don't try this while the bike is in motion.
And, why do they fit RK's and EG's? What's different?
The dealer let me take one lamp out of the box and trial fit it. That convinced me that it could be done.

That's my 2 cents. Hope it helps.
I am trying to install them on the street glide and I have a wiring question on how to install them. I want to use my auxilery switch on the bike instead of the switch that comes with the lights. By the battery the auxelry plug is there but does not fit with the light wire harness plug. Do I need some kind of adapter for the plug or I have to modify it somehow?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
You can get a pigtail that goes into the accessory plug that has bare wire end connectors. Mine are wired into the accessories, but I still have the small button switch on the bars. I leave the accessory on all the time, and use the bar switch because you can hit the lights quickly without removing your hands from the bars and your eyes from the road.

·
Registered
116 Posts
You can use the acc. switch to turn on the lights. I think it should be the orange wire at the acc. plug under your seat. When acc switch is turned on the orange wire will have 12volt supply. I used this feed to power the coil for the fog light relay.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Part numbers?

Anyone have the part number for the lens and reflector assembly?
One of mine just got broken and the parts driod at my local dealer doesn't have a clue on what to order.
The correct part number is in the install instructions.(Which I have lost!)

Ride Safe,
Vettster

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
Whenever I need a part that comes out of an accessory kit, I go to the dealer and they look it up in their computer. Any part sold in the accessory catalog can be expanded into a bill of materials and the individual parts ordered, washers, nuts, seals, whatever. If your dealer does not know how to do that, call Jenny at Benjy's HD. You'll get 20% off list to boot.

·
Registered
657 Posts
AustinFXDWG said:
Whenever I need a part that comes out of an accessory kit, I go to the dealer and they look it up in their computer. Any part sold in the accessory catalog can be expanded into a bill of materials and the individual parts ordered, washers, nuts, seals, whatever. If your dealer does not know how to do that, call Jenny at Benjy's HD. You'll get 20% off list to boot.
Wow! I didn't know that. I have been trying to keep track of the instruction sheets all this time.
I will ask the dealer. Thanks!

Ride Safe,
Vettster

1 - 16 of 16 Posts